Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
That wasn't exactly what I observed when I worked for them.

The owners of the company I worked for (which managed residential and commercial properties in New York City) certainly had plenty to say about what they expected of the non-Jews in their employ, as well as the American (non-Hasidic) Jews in their employ, whom they regarded in the same fashion.

They abruptly fired a non-Jewish employee after they discovered he was gay.

They were faced with a discrimination suit after they refused to rent a residential unit to an African-American applicant.

They refused to hire a female applicant for a job, despite her being thoroughly qualified, since she would have to sit a desk next to a male employee (according to their beliefs, genders must be separated by rooms). They also disqualified other job applicants, male and female, after they revealed that they live with their partners to whom they are not married.
Very different when you're talking about employer/employee relationships - I was referring to their interactions with people in general, not with those whom they pay.

And of course there are exceptions, but most of them really don't care what Goyem do. If they're employing you, renting to you, etc, I can see why they would care... not that I'm condoning their behavior or beliefs (I don't), just saying it's more understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Does tradition include Hasidic males walking directly at Goy women with their shopping carts at Costco and expect the women to give way?
I'm not Hasidic, so please don't speak to me like I represent or condone them. I'm a liberal Reform Jewish woman, and do NOT share their traditional beliefs... as for this specific question, I have no flipping idea. I live in California, and only have experience with Hasidic communities in Israel and Brooklyn (where my father is from). I've never personally witnessed such a thing, and therefore cannot comment. But Israelis are notoriously rude, so maybe you confused general rudeness with "Hasidic beliefs." Because, no, that doesn't represent traditional Jewish beliefs.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-26-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Ah, well - at least they aren't forcing their ideas on anyone else, though I am left to wonder what life is like in their culture. I lost my respect for the Amish upon learning how they basically disown any children who don't follow their ways, but who knows how things work here.
AFAIK, they don't "shun" their children for leaving the Hasidic ways... they might disapprove, but still would accept them as part of the family. Haven't you seen "The Jazz Singer?" LOL

Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Probably no more so than the ladies that walk 3 across through Costco.
Or mothers of multiple kids with those wide strollers...

Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
They object to women wearing clothing that exposes their elbows or knees and to leaving their hair uncovered. I could care less what they wear, although I think the plastic bag is over the top. Read the stories about Hasidic Jews demanding women change seats on planes so they won't have to sit next to a female, and tell me that's not an imposition.
Why don't you post links to these stories? I'd like to see your sources.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
The irony of this is that many fundamentalist Muslins also believe this and use it as a reason why women should be covered from head to toe.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Man View Post
In before the lock!
Haha... I was just thinking "this one's gonna be locked soon!"

Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Umm, you guys are aware there were 'issues' in the past?

EasyJet flight 'in bedlam' caused by Orthodox Jewish men | Daily Mail Online

As evidenced by some in this thread, if it were some other religion we were talking about (wink wink) there would be mocking and condemnation of this.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Umm, you guys are aware there were 'issues' in the past?

EasyJet flight 'in bedlam' caused by Orthodox Jewish men | Daily Mail Online

As evidenced by some in this thread, if it were some other religion we were talking about (wink wink) there would be mocking and condemnation of this.
Daily Mail? Really? I hope you realize that's like the UK version of the National Enquirer... so find us a better source, and maybe we can discuss it then.

And I see plenty of mocking/condemnation on this thread, so I'm not sure why you think they're getting "special treatment" here.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I take issue with someone who tells me, either verbally or by his behavior, that I'm not worthy of being seated near him or even being seen by him if my elbows are exposed. It's blatantly sexist. If he made the same statement and refused to associate with me based on my skin color instead of my elbows, everyone would be screaming that he's a racist. Instead, he gets a free pass on bad behavior because it's disguised as religious freedom.
That's why we should allow more immigrants from Islamic nations to enter the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events