Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Hmm. This is a tough call. The REASON people pronounce it sherbert is because they wrongly think that's how it's spelled. A LOT of people will argue it's sherbert.

So it's not like colonel and wash, where people say kernel and warsh. No one really thinks there's an r in there when they say it that way.

But the contestant did seem to realize it was spelled BET. Hmmm.

I hate it when they go back and rule an answer correct that was initially ruled incorrect, though. It changes the tenor of the game. The contestant is no longer in charge of the board, and may have taken different risks with answers than they would have if they had been ruled correct originally. You can't go back and make them whole again.

BTW - virtually no one knows that Wedgwood pottery has only one e. ;D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Would it have changed the outcome of the game?
No. He still won.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:49 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hmm. This is a tough call. The REASON people pronounce it sherbert is because they wrongly think that's how it's spelled. A LOT of people will argue it's sherbert.
I bet most people haven't given much thought to how sherbet is spelled. ;-)

Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No. He still won.
Moot point then.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I bet most people haven't given much thought to how sherbet is spelled. ;-)
One guy did. He played the word in scrabble, and had to take it back, losing a tremendous amount of points. ;D

I was the only one at the table who knew it was spelled wrong, everyone else insisted it was right. But you know, when you play scrabble, you have a dictionary nearby . . .

Old 10-06-2017, 12:08 PM

1,186 posts, read 101,960 times
How about when those tight wad judges ruled against that little boy for misspelling Proclamation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyW7j8lgA8

Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
These types of rules have been in place for a long time on Jeopardy. Correct pronunciation and spelling have always been required. Just because a lot of people mispronounce a word does not make it an acceptable alternative.
Exactly! Its Jeopardy, lets not dumb it down. I would expect a Jeopardy contestant to be able to know the proper pronunciations of common words, especially a contestant who is on an 8 day winning streak. Its not like he mispronounced some ancient Greek word. It was sherbet, and pronouncing it correctly was part of the clue.

Here is Jeopardy's response to the issue:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/featu...ert-vs-sherbet

Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
How about when those tight wad judges ruled against that little boy for misspelling Proclamation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyW7j8lgA8
Its Jeopardy, pronunciations and spelling count!

He spelled emancipation wrong, not proclamation. Even if he wrote it correctly, he still would have lost.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:30 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Many native Marylanders (including me) pronounce the name of the largest city in Minnesota as though the prefix "mini" is added to the name of the capital city of Maryland. "Mini-Annapolis" instead of "Minneapolis". I consider it part of regional dialect rather than an error, but I'm sure that "Jeopardy!" judges would rule it incorrect.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Many native Marylanders (including me) pronounce the name of the largest city in Minnesota as though the prefix "mini" is added to the name of the capital city of Maryland. "Mini-Annapolis" instead of "Minneapolis". I consider it part of regional dialect rather than an error, but I'm sure that "Jeopardy!" judges would rule it incorrect.
It would be incorrect. Just because you are not the only one to mispronounce a word, doesn't make it the correct pronunciation. Correctly pronouncing and spelling words is part of the Jeopardy rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events