Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,868,558 times

Advertisements

As of 1 AM today a fire started in Santa Rosa,CA that is now burning unchecked throughout the northern part of the city and moving south. Mass evacuations underway.

Many homes burned, Kaiser Hospital on fire, major businesses burning or burned down, Historic buildings as well as hotels either on fire or burned down.

Napa County is on fire as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM

102,067 posts, read 106,917,029 times
That's terrible! Any idea what started the fire? Did the fire department get right on it? Doesn't sound like it.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...009-story.html

Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM

According to my brother in law it started due to high winds,heat and very low humidity @13%. Unfortunately there are not enough fire resources to fight these fires. They are streaming resources in all the way from San Francisco. There were/are 50 different fires burning in Santa Rosa at this point according to the news.

Not only Sonoma County but Napa County and Lake County are on fire as well.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:29 PM

102,067 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
According to my brother in law it started due to high winds,heat and very low humidity @13%. Unfortunately there are not enough fire resources to fight these fires. They are streaming resources in all the way from San Francisco. There were/are 50 different fires burning in Santa Rosa at this point according to the news.

Not only Sonoma County but Napa County and Lake County are on fire as well.
50 different fires? Are wind and high heat enough to start a fire? Did plant growth spontaneously combust? IDK if that's a dumb question, but please bring me up to speed. If that's all it takes, humanity is screwed, and we might as well throw CA away. Please tell me there's more to this story.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
50 different fires? Are wind and high heat enough to start a fire? Did plant growth spontaneously combust? IDK if that's a dumb question, but please bring me up to speed. If that's all it takes, humanity is screwed, and we might as well throw CA away. Please tell me there's more to this story.
At this point more accurate information is coming out. 15 different fires. Unknown as yet as to what the start was other than what I described.

Latest news at:

Wildfires raging in Santa Rosa | KRON4.com

Old 10-09-2017, 09:02 PM

14,650 posts, read 14,739,331 times
Quote:
Spontaneous fires can happen if there's high heat, extreme dryness, no humidity and a lot of static electricity. To pursue that line of thought you'd need to know if it was staticy there.

Once when I was visiting Tucson, AZ in early February for 2 weeks for the annual gem and mineral show there was so much static electricity everywhere in the region you could get sparks off just about anything you touched including getting shocks from touching still water. It wasn't particularly hot at that time of year but it was very dry and there were dozens of little spontaneous fires starting up in some of the most unusual places both indoors and outdoors.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,391,040 times
That's sad. Sorry for the loss of property and jobs.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:10 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,467,962 times
Quote:
When conditions are right, fires happen.

October 8, 1871
The Great Chicago Fire guts the city, killing hundreds. Of course, you've heard of that. But you probably haven't heard that the very same night the Peshtigo Fire a couple hundred miles to the north burned over a million acres and killed thousands - the deadliest fire in American history. And across the lake in Michigan, again on the same date, the Great Michigan Fire and the Port Huron Fire together killed hundreds more.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,180,688 times
Smile I am so sad

Our family was just there and stayed in Santa Rosa for 3 days - 3 lovely days. We just loved where we stayed, went to dinner in Healdsburg and went to a couple of vineyards which were just lovely.

My thoughts and prayers to all those impacted in this wonderful area.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,868,248 times
Quote:
If the California were in the fiscal shape it was 50 years ago and public safety services were intact, they would put out the fires. Any fool knows that there are wildfires in the West in the summer and fall but they seem totally unprepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events