Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:00 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
i dont get it, theres no way i could hit a toddler and not know it. well theres no way i could hit a toddler anyway, unless someone dropped one form an overpass directly in front of me.

was she texting, drunk, just that stupid? i can see kids a quarter mile up the road and when i approach i avoid hitting them.

im not saying she should have been beaten but she should have charges filed and never drive again. MAYBE if it was a 8-10 year old sprinting out on the street from behind a tree or something with no signs of activity to slow down for but a group of kids, and a slow moving 2 year old, sorry.
yes, but if you are driving in a residential street and there are cars parked left and right and you see kids playing ahead and focus on them, and you drive slow, you do not see if a 2 year old steps out from in between two parked cars or a trash can the moment you drive by, into your back tire. You'll hear a thump, think it is a branch you haven't seen and keep driving.

I think that woman doesn't need to be charged. She probably won't sleep very well for the rest of her life. That is punishment enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yes, but if you are driving in a residential street and there are cars parked left and right and you see kids playing ahead and focus on them, and you drive slow, you do not see if a 2 year old steps out from in between two parked cars or a trash can the moment you drive by, into your back tire. You'll hear a thump, think it is a branch you haven't seen and keep driving.

I think that woman doesn't need to be charged. She probably won't sleep very well for the rest of her life. That is punishment enough.
Cars aren't typically parked on the street in that neighborhood, a very residential neighborhood with pretty wide open spaces from the road to houses set back off the narrow roads. If cars were on both sides of the street, you wouldn't be able to drive through.
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.3239...7i13312!8i6656

So while your story is nice in a 'what if a meteor fell and she swerved just at the wrong time' type of way, i can't agree. There are many people who can't sleep very well for things they have done, should we let them all off with a mulligan?

Old 10-19-2017, 06:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
These people are trash and thugs in the worst way.

This was an accident. The onus is on the parents to supervise this child.

The mother of the child was on the local news and unapologetic, defiant, and strangely not upset. Maybe it was shock, maybe a deep religious conviction.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:32 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Truly...sad,sorrowful no matter where or who this happened to.

Minus the assailant...unsure how that undid anything...

Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 PM

127 posts, read 101,289 times
The story didn't mention the race of the child or the driver. I'm guessing the driver was White and the child was black or hispanic. Not to sound racist or anything

Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
The story didn't mention the race of the child or the driver. I'm guessing the driver was White and the child was black or hispanic. Not to sound racist or anything

Old 10-19-2017, 09:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
? Why do you ask? I don’t mean to sound confrontational, just wondering.

And yes, the baby was black & the cutest little thing too. But not even the name of the driver has been released yet, she is currently still hospitalized with her injuries.

Anyway. I’ve checked about 10 different sources for this story & everything is saying the same thing; that the sheriffs dept spokesperson has stated that the children were playing unsupervised as was a common occurrence with that household & it appears to have been a tragic accident.

The only thing that I can’t figure out ... is if there were no adults outside, how did they learn the child had been hit & manage to mob the driver at a stop sign down the road?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Here's a more complete writeup:

Deerfield Beach toddler dies after being struck by SUV – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale

I can understand the neighbors and family being distraught. I can also understand how a child could be accidently hit. It's tragic for everyone involved.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Are you justifying a 53-year-old woman being dragged from her car and punched in the face and beaten by a couple of thugs? It sure sounds like it.

For the saner minds out there, investigating officers said that the toddler was shorter than the SUV bumper, so the driver wouldn't have been able to see him. The assailants ran away as cops arrived on the scene, and I hope they're apprehended soon.

That poor child's death is on the parent(s).
I tend to agree. The parents should have been watching. I live in an area where kids tend to run out or play in the streets and aren't careful about what they're doing. I don't see why the driver should always be held 100% responsible. Some blame should go on the parents.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
My thing is, what is with these people being pulled out of cars? This happened in LA a couple of months back where some bike riders pulled an angry driver out of his car. Is noone locking a door nowadays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events