Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,005,536 times

Advertisements

I love those IRS calls! They are awesome and I love to ask them questions like,

"What is your badge number?"

"Who is your supervisor?"

"Do you think it is unfair that you get the Christian Holidays off and not the Jewish High Holy Days?"

"What are your feelings on Ramadan?"

Or I just scream into the phone that I just gave them $10,000 and they promised to stop calling.

So much fun, sadly, they no longer call me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 AM

836 posts, read 1,111,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Anyway, no one needs to be bothered by these pests with the technology that exists today.
OP is a realtor and probably has to answer all phone calls.

When I had a landline it was unlisted and I didn't get calls from people I didn't know except for wrong numbers once in a while.

Now I only have a cellphone and I get lots of calls with a recorded message.

There are times when certain people have to answer every call. Businesses can have numerous phone lines and they only publish the main number. So somebody could be calling me from that company and the main number does not show up on a cell phone as one of my contacts.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM

10,103 posts, read 19,306,930 times
I keep getting calls from someone asking for Shelly. when I say you have the wrong number, they proceed to ask well, maybe you can help me. What is your name? I just hang up at that point. Its an unlisted landline, I just get the impression they're wanting to link a name to the number for who knows what purpose?

Last edited by MaryleeII; 10-22-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-22-2017, 01:57 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,759,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I've noticed. It's annoying and it doesn't seem to even matter if you put your number on the "do not call" list. I don't answer any unrecognized number, though. And if they don't leave a message, their number is added to my spam list and future calls go right to voicemail. I still don't get why the FCC can't do something about these creeps.
Marketing lobbyists seem to have more influence with our elected representatives in office. They have the money and the ears to keep it in their favor. Criminals & spammers just luck-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It's no longer considered rude, Ultra. It's being proactive about our own privacy. Bad enough that our personal information is sold by places we do business with. We do our best to protect it and they just turn it over for a price. I'm sure the same thing is happening with our phone numbers. To make it worse, these huge companies who are supposed to have state of the art cyber security software aren't winning, either.

Just received my letter today from Equifax about their security breech. It steams me that I do what I can to protect my accounts but I, along with 143 million other citizens, sit and wonder who has my information and what will they do with it.

It’s not just Equifax but “all†of the large corporations and sadly even our government at federal and state seem to have little or no control of any private information on the citizens. When government agencies are hacked you know something is wrong in our digital world these days.

My bank representatives continually ask and tell me I should or can do the transactions online. I tell them “no thanksâ€, and they continue with their efforts to get me online. They tell me about all of their security and protection that they have. I ask them – then how is it that so many large corporations and government agencies are victims of hacking and my personal data info is in jeopardy? No reply other than “thank you Mr X for doing business with us and have a nice dayâ€.

Any PC or device that is “on-line†has little or no protection from the bad guys and can or will be hacked into – it’s just a matter of time.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:37 PM

952 posts, read 751,390 times
I always get the scam calls, it pops up as scam on the caller id and the cell phone automatically ends the call. When i had an landline the dollar store used to have a button and you connect it to the phone line and when you press it it will say do not call this number and keeps repeating it until the person hangs up.

It doesn't surprise me that people fall for anything. If you go on facebook its crazy how much stuff people fall for. I get tons and tons of messages from people sharing fake articles that if you share it you get money from some ceo. One guy used to send me scam messages everyday i told him if he doesn't stop im going to unfriend him.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM

691 posts, read 415,720 times
im getting lots too... they even use local numbers that are close to mine and other members of my family to top it off they even leave voice mails. frustrating!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,084,975 times
I got a few from some jackwagon claiming to be from a local law office and he needed my address to send me some documents.

ME: What the documents were for?

THEM: They're legal documents?

ME: Legal documents regarding what?

THEM: Sir I just need your address to send them to you?

ME: Don't you have a skip trace service that can find my address? and who are you calling for again?

THEM: Who are we speaking with?

ME: You called me so who so who are you supposed to be speaking with, never mind I noticed you're calling from the same city I'll just swing by and pick those documents up, what your address?

THEM: Sir we're not calling your from that city, that's a remote office.

ME: Well I'm sure it's staffed with people who are licensed to practice law in this state, oh BTW I'm recording this call to put on YouTube with your number.

THEM: click

Old 10-22-2017, 05:08 PM

13,256 posts, read 8,338,082 times
Since residing in a community of townhouse and condos...our area is getting saturated with door knocker utility scams. You would think our gates to entry with the no solicitation code would deter them. It does not.

After some of us contacted our police and our utilities to advise of this nuisance...we are once again getting this group of pests insisting we are going to get hit with a 300$ increase if we don't let them see our utility carrier bills. I've tried to tell my elder neighbor..but she is gullible. I sincerely fear for her safety. Sometimes an elders kindness is an open door to these hoodlums.

Seems our state law code is enforced about as much as the do not call list.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:18 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,909,163 times
For about the last 6 months I've been receiving two or three calls with the numbers being the same as the first 5 of my number, i.e. 555-123-xxxx. I always hang up but the calls just keep coming and the last 3 of the number are always different. These are on my cell phone and so far I haven't found a way to create a wild card to block all calls with those numbers without blocking my own number

Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,419,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My Dad had his number spoofed yesterday and it was apparently calling people all over the country. He got about 40-50 messages from pissed off people which quickly filled his voice mail. I'm surprised at the number of people that will return (and leave a message for) a number that they don't recognize....

His carrier told him to just turn off his phone for 2-3 days and by then, the spoofing usually stops. Thanks guys, big help there.
I was getting calls from local numbers a few years ago. When I googled them they were legitimate numbers. I didn't know any of those people but figured it was a scam because I'd come home to two different numbers on my caller ID and no message. Before they stopped, there were probably a dozen legit local numbers used.

I hadn't even thought of the blowback against the innocent people whose numbers had been spoofed. That has to be a nighmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events