Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Imagine thinking like this and thinking that you're any better than those who committed the crime.

Problem with this is, that they almost certainly weren't thinking of the consequences. So "tough" consequences won't deter anything.
Actually, I was thinking just the opposite.
There are a lot of punishments that don't really work as great deterrents to certain crimes.

But if kids hear that you could go to jail for throwing rocks (something that probably did not occur to them earlier), I think it will stop some of them from doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Actually, I was thinking just the opposite.
There are a lot of punishments that don't really work as great deterrents to certain crimes.

But if kids hear that you could go to jail for throwing rocks (something that probably did not occur to them earlier), I think it will stop some of them from doing it.
People already go to jail for it.
So, how would making the sentences tougher help?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:09 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

I vaguely remembered this, but it took me a little while to find it.

Falling rock kills man on I-94 | National | journaltimes.com

And anyone who thinks that this instance from 26 years ago was the first time this happened is pretty gullible. But, sure, anything to whine about the 'current generation'.

, indeed!

Oh yea. Kids have played this dangerous game for quite some time. Anyone remember that old movie The Good Son? When he suckered the unwitting cousin into tossing a mannequin off an over pass causing a serious pile up. Kids who play these sort of games. I wonder if they even realize that they will easily kill someone. I figure since they're charging them as adults the DA thinks they well knew that risk.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The look on these kid's faces in court is disgusting. No remorse, every single one of them looks annoyed that they are there

Judge denies teens bond in Michigan rock-throwing death | Daily Mail Online
they don't look smug or annoyed to me, just worried. and they damn well should be.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:19 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Hang them all from that same overpass.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
dr. phil's sister-in-law had this happen to her, (it was a jar full of acid though. horrible.)
she wrote a book and has travelled to tell her story and lobbied for highway safety.

in 2001, cindi broaddus was a passenger in a car on her way to a vacation when someone threw a gallon–sized jar full of sulphuric acid off an overpass hitting their car. she was covered with second and third degree burns across her face and body.

she has had multiple reconstructive surgeries, skin grafts and implanted tissue expanders. the person who did it has never been caught.

there are some really sick people out there.

i hope these kids get punished harshly. they are old enough to know better and this is a serious crime.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Imagine thinking like this and thinking that you're any better than those who committed the crime.

Problem with this is, that they almost certainly weren't thinking of the consequences. So "tough" consequences won't deter anything.

Lol I say feed them to the biggest meanest prisoner they can find. Consequences.

If you think saying things like that make people as bad as the kids throwing rocks then I just have to laugh lol

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
They weren't little kids standing at the side of the road throwing pebbles. They deserve to have the BOOK thrown at them.

They KNEW someone could die.

How many lives has their stupidity changed forever? Very, very sad.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Lol I say feed them to the biggest meanest prisoner they can find. Consequences.

If you think saying things like that make people as bad as the kids throwing rocks then I just have to laugh lol
It shows the same disregard for human life.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:32 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
they don't look smug or annoyed to me, just worried. and they damn well should be.
Agree, most of them look serious and maybe a bit scared. I'm wondering what remorse is supposed to look like.
Also these are teens not toddlers, I know very few parents who could tell you where their teens are at all times. That fact alone does not mean the parents were neglectful, inattentive or bad parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events