Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ayup.

Not going to quote your list, because I agree with pretty much every point.

You could ask the captain & crew of SSV Oliver Hazard Perry. But I suggest doing so from a safe distance...
At that size power or a tugboat are needed. In fact, having watched some amateurs with larger boats...they need a full set of thrusters and even that may be not enough. Once watched a poor guy try to dock a single screw trawler of 50 foot or so in a cross wind. My wife put me on board and I docked it for him. He actually had some small boat experience but had no idea how to manage a single screw in tight quarters.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
At that size power or a tugboat are needed.
Yeah, I kid. I crew on tall ships myself, it's a small community, and the OHP guys are a bit sensitive right now...

Anyway, I think what annoys the ever-lovin' out of me is the fact that these two doofuses are plastered across the world's front pages as examples of brave, intrepid ocean sailors. Their entire attitude is that of someone who's accomplished something. And they haven't. Even if one believes their tale, they haven't.

Meanwhile, some of the world's finest female off-shore sailors are crewing and skippering on some seriously hard-to-master boats in the Volvo Ocean race right now and nobody cares.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Saw a good video of the boat this morning on CBS(?) The weed growth on the stern is consistent with the pattern on the port side and forward for a boat heeled way over long enough for weed to stick and grow. Almost up to the port gunwale! Expect to see the ladies on Ellen before the end of November.
(The girls of November come Early?)

Ok, so what are you saying here?
That the boat/ship was on it's side long enough for weed? to stick and grow.

Please explain? I know nothing about boats.
Although, I must agree these ladies look too healthy and full lol, in my opinion to make it sound
as if they were so destitute.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post

Please explain? I know nothing about boats.
Although, I must agree these ladies look too healthy and full lol, in my opinion to make it sound
as if they were so destitute.
Picture a sailboat under sail. It will be leaned over pretty good. Perhaps a rough guess would be abot 45 degrees or so. Not sure exactly as wind and speed will affect it, but I'm a powerboater. so a sailer can fill you in perhaps. A power boat under way will be level, at least side to side. Likewise a boat sitting at the dock will be level as well so growth generally doesn't go much above the water line (if so the paint should have been up a tad higher)---the darker painted lower part of the boat using a paint to inhibit growth.

Now, I would think that in order for a sailboat to be healed over at such an angle, it would probably be moving along at such a clip where there shouldn't be any growth.
Now, if the boat happened to be heeled over while grounded on a sandbar for a period of time, it would have the same affect.

I personally don't buy this story at all but what hasn't been brought up is that it was still out a good ways and only 900 miles from Japan? After leaving from Hawaii????

Old 10-30-2017, 08:06 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
No jib. Looks like only a track. Main is there.

Fuel range varies. Many long haul sail boats can do thousands of miles. Particularly larger ones.

The boat was purportedly a 50 footer. Does not look that big to me.

Be interesting when one of the sailing magazines writes it up.

But I also remain skeptical.
Not a track, it’s a roller furling jib. You can see the clew about a quarter of the way up.

A spreader broke? That’s about the easiest possible thing to jury rig on a mast. Even if the spreader couldn’t be repaired, lay the boat on the opposite tack and it will sail like normal - the broken spreader would have NO impact on how the boat would sail if that was done.

That boat was EASILY sailable in the condition described and pictured.

Yeah, it really doesn’t add up.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Not a track, it’s a roller furling jib. You can see the clew about a quarter of the way up.

A spreader broke? That’s about the easiest possible thing to jury rig on a mast. Even if the spreader couldn’t be repaired, lay the boat on the opposite tack and it will sail like normal - the broken spreader would have NO impact on how the boat would sail if that was done.

That boat was EASILY sailable in the condition described and pictured.

Yeah, it really doesn’t add up.
Read the thread before you post. You won't make an *** if you do...

It is embarrassing to point out that someone who agrees with me is deficient. And one with a Phd.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:13 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
<>
They and the dogs look too healthy, happy, and well exercised to have been on a boat for five months. Nice tan on the ladies, but no sunburn. Did they also carry a year's supply of sunscreen and apply it faithfully every 4 hours? Ramen & Oatmeal?? What about vitamin C and other essential daily supplements?
As for the line of growth on the hull, if a boat drifts or sits in still water, green slimy stuff and seaweed (there is probably a technical name for it) will grow up to the waterline. The line on this hull is tilted so the boat must have been tilted. But if the boat had been drawn up partly out of the water and beached at a tilt because of the keel and rudder, then we would see a tilted line of growth. In this case you can see the growth is close to the rail at midship, angles down from the bow at the front, with an odd curve due to the flare of the hull just aft of the prow. At the stern the line of green angles across the flat end, high on the port side, low on the starboard. This is consistent with a boat set in the water with the port side down, starboard side up. This could happen if the boat had been sailing on a constant tilt for five months. Or possibly, laid up partly out of the water on a beach, leaning to the left. I would look for bleaching of the resin on one side to determine the sunward side, and wear and tear on the keel and port side of the hull rubbing on the bottom.
If that's not clear, stick a sailboat model in the tub and tilt it, port rail down, you'll see.
From other pictures I have seen of debris floating in the Pacific Gyre, I would have expected more growth from five months. A drifting hulk would accumulate growth all the way down.
So the possibility is they sailed to some place, sat around for awhile then showed up for the Navy to rescue them for some bizarre publicity stunt. The alternative is they were bad sailors who should never go back to sea.
"And where are the barnacles, Bill?"

Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Read the thread before you post. You won't make an *** if you do...

It is embarrassing to point out that someone who agrees with me is deficient. And one with a Phd.
Did you somehow take from my post that I was taking a shot at you? I answered the post as I came to it, without reading the entire thread. A little while later, I read the posts where some of the points had been addressed.

The only one making an *** of themself is the one trying to find insult where there isn’t any.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
OK. AP is now saying something doesn't add up.

* Turns out they had an EPIRB but never activated it. During the first interviews they never even mentioned it.
* Said they had a total of 6 forms of communication, but they all went dead.
* People are getting suspicious.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ergency-beacon

Old 10-30-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Did you somehow take from my post that I was taking a shot at you? I answered the post as I came to it, without reading the entire thread. A little while later, I read the posts where some of the points had been addressed.

The only one making an *** of themself is the one trying to find insult where there isn’t any.
All of the points were well addressed. You would have known that if you read before blathering.

I am not insulted. There is a rational view in these lists to read the thing before you post. If it is too long or dull. Go away. I do that all the time...simply because I will not spend the time to read a 400 post thread to point out the thesis is absurd.

Learn - Some with a Phd can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events