Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 03:10 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If they had been lost at sea for five months, their skin would look like leather and even the dark complected woman's hair would be light-colored. I live in a beach town and I know what people look like when they go to the beach every day. These women were not on a boat for five months.
You understand that there was a cabin on that boat, so she was not constantly in the sun, right? The boat was her home. Her skin would be no darker than anyone else, who stayed at home for five months.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
Like I am impressed by mc Kayla maroney's vault because I can't do it and I can't learn how to do it. But anyone can learn how to sail.
Anyone can learn how to ride a bike or hit a baseball or ski downhill.

That being said, if you have the ability to adapt this position for few hours:

http://www.yachtsandyachting.co.uk/w...319352_M01.jpg

- while reading the winds and the waves, balancing the forces on the boat perfectly, all the while keeping an eye on your competitors and predicting their moves - well, then you'd be the next Ben Ainslie. But you can't, and it's not something you can just learn, either. Sure, half a decade or so of practice and strength training and more practice can put you on a regional level, if you're reasonably able-bodied and have a modicum of talent. But that goes for most sports.

Quote:
If it's something any drunken Joe Shmoe can do if they learn how and try no body is impressed and no body cares.
High-level racing is completely out of the reach for most. Put drunken Joe Shmoe on a VOR 65 and he'd not have a clue - in fact, if he could get it to anything resembling racing speeds, he'd most likely hurt himself.

Quote:
I am familiar with racing.
Sounds like you need to associate with better racing sailors.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 11-03-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:30 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Default Sailing is not a sport; sport is not a sailor

Quote:
I'm still not impressed.
And it's not something I consider to be a sport.
Because it's not.
Hey sport, how did this thread get so far OT? You have drifted way far from our original thread subject.
Why don't you cast off the tow line,eh?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Hey sport, how did this thread get so far OT? You have drifted way far from our original thread subject.
Why don't you cast off the tow line,eh?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
I don't know if it is a sport. But it is a way of life. And a certain amount of skill is needed. Give you a couple of examples...

You lose the engine cooling pump in the middle of the night while motoring. Do you have the required parts?...do you know how to install them?

You end up with 400 feet of rope rode and 250 feet of chain out in deep water. You pull in the rope. You then discover the anchor chain does not fit on the anchor windlass. How do you get 250 feet of chain in without a working windlass?

60 knot winds bust half the cars holding the mainsail. How do you keep sailing?

You suddenly discover the return from the generator to the fuel tank has failed. You may need the fuel in the bilge as much of the fuel on board has already been pumped over board. What to do?

Old 11-04-2017, 06:51 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I don't know if it is a sport. But it is a way of life. And a certain amount of skill is needed.<>
And stamina and money. Someone once described open ocean racing as "Standing in an ice cold shower on a roller coaster, tearing up hundred dollar bills."

Old 11-04-2017, 09:06 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
And stamina and money. Someone once described open ocean racing as "Standing in an ice cold shower on a roller coaster, tearing up hundred dollar bills."
That is racing. Cruisers generally don't spend much money. And most rational people try to do it where the water is warm. When I am on a boat I generally volunteer to do the pre-dawn watch. I like the sea as it goes from night to dawn and the morning star rises.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
A little off topic here....can we reign it back in (I am sure there is a boating forum for this current topic)

Anyone run into any new info? I am pretty sure this whole story will completely fall apart soon. I want to hear Appel's next story.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is racing. Cruisers generally don't spend much money. And most rational people try to do it where the water is warm. When I am on a boat I generally volunteer to do the pre-dawn watch. I like the sea as it goes from night to dawn and the morning star rises.
The phrase "generally don't spend much money" doesn't fit in any discussion of boats. Lol

Old 11-04-2017, 11:39 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A little off topic here....can we reign it back in (I am sure there is a boating forum for this current topic)

Anyone run into any new info? I am pretty sure this whole story will completely fall apart soon. I want to hear Appel's next story.
I agree.. the thread is going off topic! Please be considerate and discuss this other stuff in the boating forum.

HighFlyingBird, I haven't found anything more about these two women, and their incredible voyage. I'm sure there will be more info to come, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events