Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 PM

120 posts, read 72,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There was a Dutch teenager who quit school to sail around the world. She sailed through extremely challenging conditions, and did an expert job of navigating. She reached her goal.

So? A blind man was able to reach his goal of sailing around the world solo on his very first try and he did an excellent job of navigating with his equipment. So no, I am not impressed that a Dutch teen with perfect eye sight was able to do it. Because clearly anyone can do it with the right equipment.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
When I watched the America's Cup the last few times, i'm pretty sure the drunk, fat slobs were left at the dock. The crew is very busy, alert, and active.
As for chess, being on Wide World of Sports does not make an activity a sport, agreed?

So, to your point, name some activities you consider sports and explain why the participants are athletes?
I raced with a former Americas cup winner as a crew member. He was a drunk fat slob. Very bossy and cranky too. We came in second. (Like it matters)

And if a crew seems busy or alert that's because there is wind that day. Sometimes when you race there is no wind and you basically just sit there, slowly slowly moving. Tons of fun right? Then checkers starts to look exciting. And why are you considering people to be athletes based on the fact that they appear to be busy, alert, or active? Does it make me an athlete when I cross the street because I appear busy, alert, and active as I'm crossing?

Name the activities I consider to be sports? That would take way too long. But sailing definately would not be on my list if I were to create one.

P.S. What's more boring then racing? Watching a race. Especially on TV. Damn. You are dullsville.

Last edited by Brinley; 11-12-2017 at 10:58 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Nah, she fails at that too.
I was not trying to be funny. I was being dead serious. You do not have to be in shape or sober to race. That's not a joke. It's a fact.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Anyone can learn how to ride a bike or hit a baseball or ski downhill.

That being said, if you have the ability to adapt this position for few hours:

http://www.yachtsandyachting.co.uk/w...319352_M01.jpg

- while reading the winds and the waves, balancing the forces on the boat perfectly, all the while keeping an eye on your competitors and predicting their moves - well, then you'd be the next Ben Ainslie. But you can't, and it's not something you can just learn, either. Sure, half a decade or so of practice and strength training and more practice can put you on a regional level, if you're reasonably able-bodied and have a modicum of talent. But that goes for most sports.

High-level racing is completely out of the reach for most. Put drunken Joe Shmoe on a VOR 65 and he'd not have a clue - in fact, if he could get it to anything resembling racing speeds, he'd most likely hurt himself.

Sounds like you need to associate with better racing sailors.
I have raced with a former Americas cup winner. And he drank so you failed at making a point.

Last edited by Brinley; 11-12-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Hey sport, how did this thread get so far OT? You have drifted way far from our original thread subject.
Why don't you cast off the tow line,eh?
I made one comment that said "sailing is not a sport" then I discussed how I thought the ladies were lying about the Sharks, etc.

Then the cry baby sailers jumped all over that one comment because they can't handle the fact that no one but them considers them to be athletes.

You know it's true. You can't walk down the street with out seeing some one wearing a T-Shirt that represents their favorite sports team or athlete. But you never see anyone walking around with a "sweet breeze" or whatever shirt to show that they are rooting for the crew members of that boat to win a race. And you never see people wearing duplicate polo shirts that a person who won a race wore to show that they are a fan of that person.

Because sailers don't have fans. No one cares.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:44 AM

6,427 posts, read 9,757,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
I was not trying to be funny. I was being dead serious. You do not have to be in shape or sober to race. That's not a joke. It's a fact.
A fact? do you have a link to back that fact up? I bet it would be interesting reading.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,483,920 times
Quote:
<>And if a crew seems busy or alert that's because there is wind that day.<>
Now THAT's funny.
MOTTO!

Old 11-13-2017, 01:32 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,814,930 times
Quote:
I made one comment that said "sailing is not a sport" then I discussed how I thought the ladies were lying about the Sharks, etc.

Then the cry baby sailers jumped all over that one comment because they can't handle the fact that no one but them considers them to be athletes.

You know it's true. You can't walk down the street with out seeing some one wearing a T-Shirt that represents their favorite sports team or athlete. But you never see anyone walking around with a "sweet breeze" or whatever shirt to show that they are rooting for the crew members of that boat to win a race. And you never see people wearing duplicate polo shirts that a person who won a race wore to show that they are a fan of that person.

Because sailers don't have fans. No one cares.
We seem to have moved from "it's not a sport because any fat drunkard can do it" to "it's not a sport because it doesn't have mass appeal".

I don't see people wearing t-shirts of their favorite javelin thrower or 400m runner, truth be told. Guess we can scratch that as sport as well.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,814,930 times
Quote:
I raced with a former Americas cup winner as a crew member. He was a drunk fat slob. Very bossy and cranky too. We came in second. (Like it matters)

And if a crew seems busy or alert that's because there is wind that day. Sometimes when you race there is no wind and you basically just sit there, slowly slowly moving. Tons of fun right? Then checkers starts to look exciting. And why are you considering people to be athletes based on the fact that they appear to be busy, alert, or active? Does it make me an athlete when I cross the street because I appear busy, alert, and active as I'm crossing?

Name the activities I consider to be sports? That would take way too long. But sailing definately would not be on my list if I were to create one.

P.S. What's more boring then racing? Watching a race. Especially on TV. Damn. You are dullsville.
It's clearly not for you, glad you found more constructive uses for your time.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 AM

149 posts, read 197,175 times
Government (Taiwan) DENIES Taiwanese fishermen tried to kill two American women stranded at sea

The Taiwanese fishermen tried to help them, allowing them to come aboard to use the satellite phone, and accompanying them until a U.S. Navy boat showed up the next day after being contacted, said Lee.

Lee said the Taipei Rescue Command Center (Taipei RCC), a national rescue unit, had been in contact with the U.S. authorities. In the meantime, the monitor center of the Fisheries Agency was keeping track of the Taiwanese fishing vessel.

The accusation made by the two American women was in contradiction to the information provided by Taipei RCC and the monitor center, added Lee.

Andrew Lee, spokesperson for Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, denied the allegation on Tuesday and said the accusation made by the two American women was "groundless" and "simply not true."

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3297437
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events