Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Chicago paid around 7mil in hush money to the family to try to cover up Laquan McDonalds killing.

Mayor and his administration got away with it completely.

So, tell me. How do we get progress, how does BLM get traction when the largest urban centers in the US can abuse it's citizens causing massive (attempted hidden) payoffs and then face no repercussions?
The constitution gives the people the right to stand up and shut this kind of thing down if need be. People must band together to be effective though.

'They' are supposed to scared of us, the people, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Isn't ex-military per se that is the problem (if it indeed is), but the fact LE and other careers attract a certain type of "Alpha-A" type male. Added to that is a healthy (or unhealthy) mix of aggressive, intimidating, or controlling personalities. Taken together and you've got a powder keg of a man that will explode often at any slight provocation. The most common being anyone or thing that challenges their status quo which by extension their masculinity.

There is a reason why historically LE departments across this country (and perhaps world) have had huge issues with domestic abuse. While never a good situation for any woman, if her spouse was a member of local LE force, then she might was well forget even bothering filing charges.

In fact going back years, often if you speak to the family members, widows, children or whatever who really knew a LE officer, the reality behind scenes does not match often public image of a highly decorated and well respected policeman. Wife beating, rape, "hand problems", being "hot headed", known to be aggressive and or physically abusive to suspects (or anyone else), and so forth.

You have to remember as well it has been only relatively recently that suspects got any sort of "rights". Well into the 1960's or maybe even 1970's LE could (and sadly often did) rough up/abuse persons in custody with little fear of retribution.
I've known a few people who became police officers. One was a pretty racist bully from my high school. I was very disturbed when I found out what his career choice was. One of my cousins had a buddy grow up to be a cop, and I remember him marveling over the fact that one of the worst-behaved people from his childhood group of friends had become a law enforcement officer - I later watched the guy casually call coworker to "forgive" (as in not show up to court for) a legitimate ticket that had been issued to an acquaintance. It was icky.

I would support paying police much more if they tightened up how they hired people and their requirements for behavior.

And yes, I believe more military is the answer in our law enforcement. My friend who's a combat vet is completely freaked out by what he sees as "amateur" cops with minimal training.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is probably closer to 20 years pay for that police officer and that is part of the problem. If they paid enough for the job to have appeal to better candidates, they would get better candidates. No one who can go work for $50K a year and expect regular raises to 100 K is going to take a job as a police officer at $24K with raises resembling unicorns.

So we get people who have no better options in the business or government world. Is that who we want? It is a complicated job that requires a huge variety of skills and training.

If the fast food workers get their dream of $15 per hour, then only people who do nto qualify as fast food workers will become police officers.
What are you talking about? Do you just make stuff up?

Detective Payne brought home $128,655 last year.
Utah's Right To Know | UtahsRight.com

That means the settlement was less than 4 years of his salary/overtime. Please stop with the mythology, especially comparing poor Detective Payne and his 6 figures to the fast food workers.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:55 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
We might be reading too much into this. This was a simple case of a cop's big ego bruised by a nurse who dared to challenge his authority. He reacted emotionally and showed her who was boss.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We might be reading too much into this. This was a simple case of a cop's big ego bruised by a nurse who dared to challenge his authority. He reacted emotionally and showed her who was boss.
^^^that plus the basic environment in which public servants must work:

Overall culture that they need to stick together because both general public and criminals are against them

Frustration that criminals get away with most crimes and Cops are scrambling for evidence to provide to the public prosecutor

Fear of being hurt or worse

Anger over sense of disrespect by public and criminals

Old 11-03-2017, 01:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
No. There is more to the story than that. The police wanted a blood test done on a crash victim, because the police had been at fault for it. They wanted to see if the victim possibly had drugs or alcohol in their bloodstream to try and help cover up for their own poor actions. However, the blood test was not legal for them to do.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM

75 posts, read 50,116 times
She should have held out for $1,000,000, that video is very damning to the police. A jury may have awarded her much more money.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:43 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've known a few people who became police officers. One was a pretty racist bully from my high school. I was very disturbed when I found out what his career choice was. One of my cousins had a buddy grow up to be a cop, and I remember him marveling over the fact that one of the worst-behaved people from his childhood group of friends had become a law enforcement officer - I later watched the guy casually call coworker to "forgive" (as in not show up to court for) a legitimate ticket that had been issued to an acquaintance. It was icky.

I would support paying police much more if they tightened up how they hired people and their requirements for behavior.

And yes, I believe more military is the answer in our law enforcement. My friend who's a combat vet is completely freaked out by what he sees as "amateur" cops with minimal training.
They are already paid a ridiculously high amount. Most of them make six digit salaries, as these cops did. More money will not solve the problem.

To solve this problem we need to start by reversing Jordan v. City of New London, which allows police departments to discriminate against job applicants with high intelligence. Law enforcement is the only job in America that you can legally be discriminated against for having too high of intelligence. This is not an accident that we have these types of cops. This has been a plan for a long time and the police departments have gone to court and fought for and won the right to hire cops with low IQs.

That needs to change, and we need to demand that all LE job candidates have above average intelligence, instead of below average. A person can not be expected to fairly enforce laws, if they don't have enough intelligence to understand the law.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Wake up and smell the coffee.

The GOVERNMENT didn't violate her rights, an INDIVIDUAL EMPLOYEE did, who definitely was not following any type of rule or instruction given by the government. Why should the taxpayers of Salt Lake City pay this nurse your 500 Billion dollar settlement when it was the action of a single rogue individual?
Really?

You need to have it explained to you how an employer is responsible for the actions of an employee performed during the course of work? That really eludes you? It's called a disincentive.

And spare us the 'single rogue individual' propaganda. She was unlawfully arrested for refusing to violate the civil rights of a patient. The arrest was ordered by a police lieutenant and carried out by an officer. She was (incorrectly) informed by another officer that her refusal constituted obstruction of justice. That's three individuals right there. Nor is this some shockingly rare case of police abuse. This sort of thing happens all the time. Fortunately, it now happens more often on camera, where it cannot later be denied (denials which are automatically believed by way too many of you excuse-makers).

The public employs law enforcement. What part of THE PUBLIC IS ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE POLICE do you not comprehend?

Here's how it works:
Public gets sick of having to subsidize police who abuse them. Public elects mayors who will appoint chiefs of police who will not tolerate this behavior.

It would be nice if the public would do this anyway, but it's obvious that short of some sort of serious incentive to take a stand, far too many members of the public are willing to let the police do whatever they hell they feel like doing, and will run interference for such actions one way or another - such as you're doing here.

PS - I nominate the bolded bit above for ironic sentence of the day.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:01 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I think a major problem is that large numbers of police officers are ex-military. I never understood why law enforcement agencies believe that people trained to kill the enemy and pacify the civilian population would have the skills needed to work as a professional law enforcement officer in a domestic environment.

People coming out of the military these days have learned to operate as safely as possible in a hostile environment as an occupying force. It is not really surprising that after you put these same people on the streets of US cities that they act like it is an us vs them kill or be killed world where the ends justify the means.
My husband ( Ret Dutch Army and AF) said the same thing and I am inclined to agree . I thought it before he said it . I agree people coming out of the military all need jobs but they need to retrain , it's just not the same .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events