U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:24 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,654,041 times

Advertisements

Of course, the fact that the Federal Gov't will issue an SSDI check to the parents of autistic children has absolutely zero to do with the fact that so many kids are being diagnosed nowadays. Of course not. I expect a howl of indignation over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:18 AM

640 posts, read 282,073 times
Our family has extremely high rates of ADD, ASD, and also most kids test into the gifted or accelerated programs. I think things are going well for us in this age provided we can get the boys through school without drugs (girls seem to be given more leeway because of how they spend their energy). Lots of engineering jobs, lots of maker fairs, lots of opportunities.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 24,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
IQ genes are on the X chromosome making mothers most important.
That is more a pseudoscience meme than it is a fact.

Last edited by toosie; 11-05-2017 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 03:12 PM

2,247 posts, read 1,744,626 times
as to age of mothers, my daughter in law gave birth to my autistic, highly intelligent grandson, who has an photographic memory when she was 20. So many of these theories on why a child has autism are bunk.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:04 PM

15,847 posts, read 8,428,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins View Post
That is more a pseudoscience meme than it is a fact.
You apparently are a science denier and then ironically called science pseudoscience, while posting a link that didn't refute a single thing that I said.

Your link agreed that IQ is in part genetic (just as I said), it just downplayed the genetic component.

What science are you specifically denying?

(1) In adults, IQ is in large part genetic (with other factors playing a role too).

Quote:
The heritability of intelligence increases from about 20% in infancy to perhaps 80% in later adulthood.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270739/

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ce-genes-found

(2) Known genes that correlate to IQ are on the X Chromosome --> This also accounts for why males have greater IQ variability and more mental defects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...016917/?page=1

Children inherit their intelligence from their mother not their father, say scientists | The Independent

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...015834/?page=1

(3) Women with high IQs are less likely to have children.

Women with high IQs less likely to be moms: study - NY Daily News

Old 11-03-2017, 06:40 PM

6,151 posts, read 4,361,630 times
We can't assume that autism genes weren't naturally selected - perhaps to accelerate the development of certain mental capacities, but at the cost of correlated incapacities that only show up as such within the social, as opposed to the natural, sphere.

Socialization is a special form of adaption, in that it can preserve mutations that nature would punish, reward mutations that nature might have ignored, and elevate naturally selected mutations to serve new socio-cultural purposes, allowing for an expansion of variations beyond what nature, by itself, would allow.

We also underwent an evolutionary bottleneck, likely due to a natural catastrophe and potential extinction event (the Toba supervolcano?), not that far in the distant past (~75,000 years ago), the echoes of which are likely still reverberating through the human genome.

If change is a constant, we can't assume that only currently useful mutations/variations are worthwhile. Autism might be disabling only in a hyper-social context. Idiot savants, for instance, were likely prized in pre-literate societies.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 AM

1,650 posts, read 596,704 times
I like the saying "once you've met someone with Asperger's /autism you've met one person with autism". Of course meaning every single one is different. The scale on which autism is measured is long and versed.

I think there have always been Aspie's around, we are just better at recognizing them. In many families there is always a odd uncle or aunt who never married and was socially awkward. Or the eccentric uncle who had fantastic collection of of hammers (I have one of those uncles) or marbles or buttons and can and do tell you all about them. Until not to distant past a larger portion of population lived rural life, a quieter existence. Now we are in higher density living and the differences are more apparent.

My son has high functioning autism, used to be called Asperger's. I now recognize it a little in my husband and possibly my grandfather who was very precise in how he spoke and a bit different, but not sure.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:51 PM

704 posts, read 228,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
makes sense..
Well, I spose this article, may make older parents who had ultrasounds in utero, feel somewhat better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or