Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
There was also apparently a comment made about her hair and/or some weave that she had bought. The IG account was cleared out and Jazzy apparently was made aware of it through a 3rd party, so the true extent may only be known to some. Also, FYI, just because the n-word isn't tossed around, that doesn't mean someone/something isn't racist.

What legitimate reason could she have for doing all of this? She claims Jazzy was being hostile but where is the proof? And even if everything she said is true, it is a HUGE leap to punish someone making fun of your snoring by poisoning them with rancid food and your excrement/bodily fluids. She likely sat in that room watching that poor girl get sick and laughed her stupid head off. Forget the hate crime, she needs to be charged with assault/intent to commit bodily harm.
1) I was specifically addressing how using those words doesn't automatically qualify for a hate crime under the law.

2) There is no legitimate reason to do that to someone, hence the criminal charges.

3) Re "FYI, just because the n-word isn't tossed around.....". I'm only hoping that was being directed at some other poster but you said it in response to me. I have no idea where that is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Colleges are spending so much money building fancy student centers to attract students. Why in the world are they still building dorms with doubles? Most kids grow up having their own bedroom. Parents realize that teenagers need privacy. How much more so do young adults need a private space to retreat to?
Amen! In Europe kids those ages are considered "adults", so why do they need to share?

In China it's worse - often four or six students to a room.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
This situation reminds me so much of my own freshman year roommate. She was from Harlem. Stiff, standoffish. Very cold personality and unpleasant. Used heavy coconut skin creams that reeked, insisted windows in our tiny room be kept closed always, kept thermostat as high as it would go. Room was always hot, humid, a coconutty tropical swamp. I couldn't stand it, so by October I ...... moved out. She was pissed off because now she had to pay the phone bill on her own. My next roommate was wonderful, and new dorm was a much better dorm overall.

I realize now that she was probably stiff and unpleasant because she was so out of her depth academically at our ivy league school. She liked the room so warm because she most likely came from living in an overheated Harlem apartment where heat was included in the rent. And she probably was predisposed against me because she was racist and anti-Semitic.

The difference was, I solved my problem by switching out as fast as I could. It never even occurred to me to try to drive her out.
You are assuming she was "out of her depth," and that she liked a warm room because she was from an overheated Harlem apartment, yet she was racist?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:39 AM

613 posts, read 463,555 times
Yeah, that post was pretty vile. What could possibly make one think Jazzy was out of her depth academically?

Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You are assuming she was "out of her depth," and that she liked a warm room because she was from an overheated Harlem apartment, yet she was racist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Yeah, that post was pretty vile. What could possibly make one think Jazzy was out of her depth academically?

Catgirl64 was not referring to Jazzy in any way. She was referring to her own freshman year roommate. And I saw nothing whatsoever racist in what she wrote. Units in old apartment buildings in some cities (including many in Harlem, I would guess) are heated by a central heater that pumps out the heat to everyone in the building, in whatever amount the maintenance people decide. Individual tenants don't have the ability to regulate the heat; they just take it as it comes. I lived in a building like that, so I know how it goes. Opening the window in the dead of winter because the room felt like a sauna. Yep, been there done that. To me it's very plausible that Catgirl64's roommate was used to that style of living and re-created it in her dorm room.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Catgirl64 was not referring to Jazzy in any way. She was referring to her own freshman year roommate. And I saw nothing whatsoever racist in what she wrote. Units in old apartment buildings in some cities (including many in Harlem, I would guess) are heated by a central heater that pumps out the heat to everyone in the building, in whatever amount the maintenance people decide. Individual tenants don't have the ability to regulate the heat; they just take it as it comes. I lived in a building like that, so I know how it goes. Opening the window in the dead of winter because the room felt like a sauna. Yep, been there done that. To me it's very plausible that Catgirl64's roommate was used to that style of living and re-created it in her dorm room.
No, I wasn't. I was replying to a post in which someone else spoke of their freshman year roommate. I don't think that post was referring to Jazzy, either, but was drawing a comparison to her.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
This situation reminds me so much of my own freshman year roommate. She was from Harlem. Stiff, standoffish. Very cold personality and unpleasant. Used heavy coconut skin creams that reeked, insisted windows in our tiny room be kept closed always, kept thermostat as high as it would go. Room was always hot, humid, a coconutty tropical swamp. I couldn't stand it, so by October I ...... moved out. She was pissed off because now she had to pay the phone bill on her own. My next roommate was wonderful, and new dorm was a much better dorm overall.

I realize now that she was probably stiff and unpleasant because she was so out of her depth academically at our ivy league school. She liked the room so warm because she most likely came from living in an overheated Harlem apartment where heat was included in the rent. And she probably was predisposed against me because she was racist and anti-Semitic.

The difference was, I solved my problem by switching out as fast as I could. It never even occurred to me to try to drive her out.

What?? And how did you come to this realization??? You seem to be the one with the problem. Maybe THAT'S why she was so "stiff and unpleasant."

And "Our ivy league school," you said. WTF?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:26 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Calling her Jamaican Barbie absolutely IS racially-motivated. Do not make excuses for this white trash POS. That kind of BS is why many blacks hate us.
Yep. This. If I could rep you 100 times, I would.

THANK YOU for saying this.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Yep. This. If I could rep you 100 times, I would.

THANK YOU for saying this.
Not only is it racist, it also sounds like she was jealous. Generally, it's only pretty girls who are called "Barbies" of any kind. Of course, the blonde might be pretty, too. It's hard to tell, as most people don't look their best for their mug shots.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Yup, I was rolling my eyes the entire time I read that post. Geez, talk about clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events