Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Jilted woman accused of murder after maimed ex chooses death | New York Post

Berlinah Wallace is accused of throwing the corrosive substance in Mark's face and it then covered most of his body.
The 29-year-old lost his leg, his left eye, and most of the sight in his right eye following the sulphuric acid attack, Bristol Crown Court heard.
Mark, a civil engineer, was so badly injured he wanted to end his own life.
He took the devastating step of applying for euthanasia and died 15 months later.
Wallace carried out the attack out of jealousy after the couple split up and Mark began seeing another woman, the court was told.
In the weeks before the attack the 49-year-old carried out internet searches including 'can I die from drinking sulphuric acid?' and searched for graphic images of acid attack victims, the court heard.
Fashion student Wallace denies murder. She is accused of pouring acid over Mark at 3am on September 23, 2015.
Adam Vaitlingam QC, prosecuting, said: "The defendant had bought a bottle of sulphuric acid, which she bought online from Amazon.
"At around 3am, as Mark was sleeping in bed, she poured the acid into a glass.
"She then went into the bedroom, and woke him up. She laughed and said 'if I can't have you no-one will' and threw the glass of sulphuric acid into his face.
"It covered his face and parts of his upper body and dripped onto his lower body as he moved.
"Covered in burning acid, Mark ran out into the street in his boxer shorts, screaming for help."
The court heard the couple had a five-year-relationship and lived together but Mark began seeing another woman in August 2015.
Mark, a Dutch national, told colleagues that Wallace had been violent towards him, and "seemed genuinely scared."
The couple appeared to rekindle their romance, exchanging loving messages promising to try to make the relationship work again on September 22, the day before the alleged attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
What a selfish *****! You have to be to do this.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Some people can't handle rejection.

What struck me was the age difference, as well. She was old enough to be his mother. I think the relationship was doomed to fail eventually. And when it reached it's inevitable conclusion, she became violent.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Isn't the point of this that ,while he chose euthanasia, she's being charged with murder since she caused the condition that inspired him to do so?
She didn't actually murder him. Many people commit attacks of assault and battery but the victim lives with the result.
Some have the charge changed to murder when the victim dies much later but it's still from the injuries themselves.
Isn't there even a charge of assault with deadly intent but even that is still short of a murder charge.
I don't know...seems the story is short on some details.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:10 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Isn't the point of this that ,while he chose euthanasia, she's being charged with murder since she caused the condition that inspired him to do so?
She didn't actually murder him. Many people commit attacks of assault and battery but the victim lives with the result.
Some have the charge changed to murder when the victim dies much later but it's still from the injuries themselves.
Isn't there even a charge of assault with deadly intent but even that is still short of a murder charge.
I don't know...seems the story is short on some details.

If I were on a jury and presented a case like this I could convict for murder. She ended his life as he knew it.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, and I hope she's convicted. I don't know if she'll get a life sentence, though, and I'm pretty sure they don't have the death penalty in that country. She is a horrible person and society is not safe with her out and free.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, and I hope she's convicted. I don't know if she'll get a life sentence, though, and I'm pretty sure they don't have the death penalty in that country. She is a horrible person and society is not safe with her out and free.
You're correct, the UK doesn't have the death penalty. She may get life if convicted, but I'm not sure what a 'life' sentence really equates to in England. Hopefully she will die in prison.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Interesting twist. He chooses euthanasia and she gets charged with murder. Of course, it's England so she'll get off with a slap on the wrist no matter what.

Another interesting twist is a woman attacking a man with acid for a change.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Just awful, that poor man. But I am so confused, how can an assault with acid cause complete paralysis?

Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Just awful, that poor man. But I am so confused, how can an assault with acid cause complete paralysis?
The only thing I can think of is that his skin was burned so bad and damaged that movement would tear his skin. I have seen a burn victim lose use of his elbow because of that. If that's not it, I have no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events