Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times

Advertisements

These kids need to be made to wear special colored shirts or bandannas on their heads or something. How is the cafeteria staff, who has to feed thousands of kids in a short span of time, supposed to remember which kid can't eat what? I'm sure there's dozens of "special needs diet" kids in every school.

The parents need to stop dumping their responsibility on the school, on neighbors and friends and family. Any child who is deathly allergic to any edible substance shouldn't be standing in line for a school lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 08:09 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Because the government guarantees every child an education. They have the same rights as every other child.
This is PRESCHOOL.

Anyway, no way in hell, if my child had deadly allergies, would I depend on ANYONE to protect them nor send them to "school".

Old 11-11-2017, 08:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
These kids need to be made to wear special colored shirts or bandannas on their heads or something. How is the cafeteria staff, who has to feed thousands of kids in a short span of time, supposed to remember which kid can't eat what? I'm sure there's dozens of "special needs diet" kids in every school.

The parents need to stop dumping their responsibility on the school, on neighbors and friends and family. Any child who is deathly allergic to any edible substance shouldn't be standing in line for a school lunch.
Exactly.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:

Again, older kids can shoulder a lot of the responsibility on their own because, well, they are older. I don't know of any preschool with a cafeteria. I also have never heard of any parents "dumping their responsibility" on the school.

My kids' elementary school doesn't serve any nuts. It doesn't seem to be a burden on them.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:01 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
So why close the school? I mean, what if one of the other kiddos had offered him a bite of their cheese sandwich?

So we close the school to the detriment of the other 99% of the students.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:04 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
a 18 yr old teen from my church died on a church small group trip where the parents knew them and her pretty well, but she apparently didn't bring her epi pen on the trip-- one day among other food served was a tray of rice krispy treats and nobody realized they had peanut butter in and she died..
You've told this story four different times in this thread.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another unfortunate incident where a child with a known food allergy was fed something that killed them.

Why wasn't this school prepared for such things in the first place (epipen, calling 9-1-1, etc.).

Some of the comments are interesting, saying that the school might have not known cheese was dairy?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-boys-death/
IMO the blame lies with the child's parents. The parents could have provided the school with an epipen. At the very least, the child should have been wearing a medical alert bracelet. Maybe the child should have been wearing a t-shirt with the food allergy in big letters on the front and listing what foods are included (dairy=milk, cheese, ice cream etc...).

I also wonder if the child at 3 years of age should have been at school rather than being cared for at home. And older children with a severe allergy can at least be taught what foods to stay away from. And in a school setting, the ratio of teachers to students is too high to keep track of all of them, let alone monitoring what they are allowed to eat.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
So why close the school? I mean, what if one of the other kiddos had offered him a bite of their cheese sandwich?

So we close the school to the detriment of the other 99% of the students.
I'm glad you brought this up, I was reticent to, because I think this daycare is probably a safe and positive environment for the kids but am kind of tired of being beaten up in this thread.

I don't know how many families this HeadStart facility serves for free daycare, but in the course of one day all those families lost their free daycare. This isn't as if a child was beaten there, or locked in a closet, or was fed rat poison, and in that case the parents would be unwilling to send their little ones back.

This school is closed because a child was given a grilled cheese sandwich to eat.

I would think this investigation could go on, while the other families served by this facility could still receive the services and go to work as usual to keep the wolves away from their door.

How many parents are now facing unemployment because the school has closed? I'd guess a lot. These are parents who are doing everything they can to keep their heads above the water - it seems those who have kids without really restrictive dietary concerns who wanted their kids to be served there should be able to continue receiving that service.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-11-2017 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know how many families this HeadStart facility serves for free daycare, but in the course of one day all those families lost their free daycare.

How many parents are now facing unemployment because the school has closed? I'd guess a lot. These are parents who are doing everything they can to keep their heads above the water - it seems those who have kids without really restrictive dietary concerns who wanted their kids to be served there should be able to continue receiving that service.
Well... again, impoverished/chronically poor people have just got to stop making babies that they can't afford to raise without having access to free daycare and other government handouts. Maybe they can look to the retired grandparents or other relatives in their family to help out with free childcare.

IMO society doesn't owe them all this free stuff just because they feel like having children.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
How is the cafeteria staff, who has to feed thousands of kids in a short span of time, supposed to remember which kid can't eat what?
Yikes, do you send your kids to a preschool with thousands of kids?! I've never heard of a preschool having that many kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events