Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Yes.... they can be denied.....

If you enter "their" town there is a sign about the rules POSTED. I'm not kidding.... and this was before they became their own town. Expect to follow their rules if for some odd reason you go there...

I drove school bus in NY and I HATED summer runs that involved the Hasidics.... they treat outsiders like crap, expect you to put on their style dress if your a woman if you're driving and the boys are the WORST.....

Ugh
To be fair, they aren't actually rules but suggestions. Id follow them if I was visiting out of respect. That is unless I was mistreated for some reason, at which point all bets would be off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To be fair, they aren't actually rules but suggestions. Id follow them if I was visiting out of respect. That is unless I was mistreated for some reason, at which point all bets would be off.
Correct. They are only rules for the Hasidim. They are suggestions for everyone else. Also in some areas the signs are in Yiddish and not English.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:26 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:

If you enter "their" town there is a sign about the rules POSTED. I'm not kidding.... and this was before they became their own town. Expect to follow their rules if for some odd reason you go there...

I drove school bus in NY and I HATED summer runs that involved the Hasidics.... they treat outsiders like crap, expect you to put on their style dress if your a woman if you're driving and the boys are the WORST.....

Ugh

Orthodox Jewish community of Williamsburg has been having fits over gentrification and all the *different* people moving there, and pricing them out for that matter.

Pick one; bike lanes (they paint them over), women not dressed *modestly* (they lecture, threaten, call names, etc...), public displays of affection... oh and the worst of them all, large population of gays, lesbians and trannies moving out there are just driving the Hasidic population *NUTS*.

Husband/partner (cannot recall status) of Andersen Cooper ( Benjamin Maisani) opened a gay bar called "Love Gun" out in Williamsburg and it had the local Jews chewing out their livers. Sadly or happily depending upon which side of fence you are on, the thing didn't last long and soon closed. But there are others...

Old 11-27-2017, 09:35 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

Ugh
I worked in Borough Park for a year, and I found that to vary from individual to individual. Overall, the rudest were Hasidic women. They especially seemed to enjoy timing the shutting of shop doors in my face. It was just weird. Some men ignored me or pretended I wasn't there, but I sort of expected that knowing the cultural norms of the community regarding the separation of men and women. On the other hand, sometimes a Hasidic man would exchange pleasantries while we were waiting for our food at a deli, for example. I figured they were more likely people who conducted business outside of the community. The rudeness of the women took me aback a few times, though. So, I learned to pretend they didn't exist, either.

The Hasidic women with whom I actually worked were not that way at all, just the ones out and about in the neighborhood.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-27-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 04:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
So what we have here is another feud between two groups not seeking to live and let live -- but to force their version of things into the law of the land at the expense of somebody else. It has happened before -- happened much more often in pre-Enlightenment times, but has been declining ever since.

The problem here is eternal -- how to respect a social contract (ideally, one formed entirely by voluntary association) without trampling the rights of those members of the community who don't see things the same way. Since this particular community defines its identity by imposing restrictions upon the lifestyles of its adherents, it seems unlikely that many from outside would be ear to join, That leaves only the involuntary repression of members (possibly not of an age sufficient for full legal rights) seeking to leave, and practices deemed hazardous to individuals nd activities outside (but as always, I'd be very wary of interference with any activity or practice simply because it's deemed a threat to some supposed "greater common good").

So as always, the Devil is in the details, compounded when the proposed imposition of standards based upon the not-always-rational or -empirical absolutes of religious belief are involved. Historically, there are a lot of precedents in which the two value systems coexist -- the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's long and changeable-over-time relationship with the old order Amish is the best example I can think of. But the growth in the power of the mass media, which has a tendency toward, and a financial interest in narcissism, probably poses a threat to that long-standing balance.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:06 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
Just saw this on the web and it reminded me of this thread. It from a story on how much each school district in NY spends per pupil.

Spending the most: Kiryas Joel Village district, Orange County: $140,511 per student. The median spending was $23,370 per pupil. (Those are per year, not over the course of a pupil's school career.)

Here is the (long) link:

Spending per student NYS school districts, 2015: Look up, compare any district, rank | syracuse.com

Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Just saw this on the web and it reminded me of this thread. It from a story on how much each school district in NY spends per pupil.

Spending the most: Kiryas Joel Village district, Orange County: $140,511 per student. The median spending was $23,370 per pupil. (Those are per year, not over the course of a pupil's school career.)

This link is skewed as it doesn't list the whole picture of what the expenses are. When there are many less students many of expenses per pupil grows massively. Many expenses are fixed and Unions make a large chunk in that number. There are many things that go into creating that number, but if they are backed and equalized for the entire county out then that number drops to under $30k.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This link is skewed as it doesn't list the whole picture of what the expenses are. When there are many less students many of expenses per pupil grows massively. Many expenses are fixed and Unions make a large chunk in that number. There are many things that go into creating that number, but if they are backed and equalized for the entire county out then that number drops to under $30k.
It's still an outlier compared to the 2nd highest district, which was $104K. The small student number problem comes up in districts in Hamilton and Herkimer counties, too, but the spending per pupil there is still close to or even below the state median.

Every district in the state has the Union issue.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Interesting article about Kiryas Joel and their school district/spending compared to other local towns.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/education/2016/08/25/know-nys-school-aid-formula/89328084/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events