Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,998,325 times

Advertisements

You know what ? it is that Hollywood lifestyle and some of these women I think are just spouting off to get their careers back on track . I kid you not . I think it is all a ploy and I'm sick of hearing about it . I sure hope no one judges me by some of the things I did way back when . You cannot go back and change anything . Yes why did they not report it when it happened to the police ? All of us know why because some of it obviously did not happen .

Old 11-11-2017, 03:09 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,126,218 times
sleeping your way through the entertainment industry has been normal practice for decades. Is this really something new? I dont think so. From the days of the Iconic Ms. Monroe, and all the media over the years, specifically describing the filth of Hollywood, now people are coming out of the woodwork's, boosting their careers. First they saw how far they can take it with Bill Cosby, and now they Have Weinstein , and a large group of others will fall. This is the decade to expose the predators, more to come.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:33 PM

926 posts, read 670,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
TBH, I would be surprised if most women don't recall (a)situation(s) where they have been raped or date raped, or molested. It's not hyperbole, we just don't talk about it, but don't ask each other about it either. Our own situation is foremost in our minds, so we don't assume other people haven't been through the same thing. The outpouring of revealing stories just confirms to me that: "yeah it happens to most people, some of us aren't celebrities." This may be why it isn't shocking, and starts to feel like background noise. Its not so unique.

Why didn't these people in particular come out publicly and say something before? The same reason other people don't. There's a history of blaming the victim, "Who cares?" attitude, "prove it" (who wants to prove that?) and now you're a pariah or damaged. Hardly much benefit to talking about it.
IMO
Yeah, there used to be that victim-blame mentality that was rampant only just a few years ago...but, it ain't that way anymore - and, this is a good thing - as long as the accusations being made are GENUINE.

Still though...I wouldn't care who 'blamed' me or accused me of lying - I would've reported any serious sexual abuse done to me as an adult right away! Because I know if I don't tell anyone right after it happens, who's gonna believe me TEN YEARS from now?!

Old 11-11-2017, 03:41 PM

15,243 posts, read 12,865,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
I agree. I also hope that women (or men) stop taking meetings in the producer's hotel rooms! Come on! Give me a break! They really didn't think this was not right? I ended up opening one of the articles that had 58 accusers of HW and most of these women met him in a hotel room. I swear about 75% of them.... hotel room, hotel room, hotel room... oh, and his house too.
(Sorry, I don't care enough to go back to the article and count just how many dumbasses went to his hotel room.)
The NYTimes article by Ronan Farrow which broke the Harvey Weinstein case wide open cited multiple instances of Weinstein getting women to his hotel room after promising his assistant would also be there.

Which she was, for a little while, then she'd leave.

So it was deliberate deception, not a case of women being stupid.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM

29,675 posts, read 34,195,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The NYTimes article by Ronan Farrow which broke the Harvey Weinstein case wide open cited multiple instances of Weinstein getting women to his hotel room after promising his assistant would also be there.

And also keep in mind that these aren't hotel rooms like the at the Days Inn where you open the door and there's a bed right there. These encounters would take place in executive suites in high end/luxury hotels that have conference and office space right in the suite. Nobody's sitting on a bed having a meeting.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:50 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,749,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I get you. I had the same thoughts when I read about Dreyfuss. An accusation is not enough to convince me. Show me the proof. If there isn't any, it didn't happen. If there's no proof because it happened decades ago, then it still didn't happen. What is expected of me if there's no proof?

The only difference would be if dozens of women jumped into the fray (or men) and started saying the same thing about Dreyfuss (or anyone else). I'm more inclined to listen to many voices rather than one who could easily lie for attention.

Really? Why?

To me, the timing of the writer's allegations against Dreyfuss made perfect sense. They were in response to HIS recent comments in support of his son, and outrage about his son having been groped by Spacey while Dreyfuss, himself, was in the room.

When she read that, she thought Wait a minute. I remember when..... Why is that suspect, and why is that so hard to understand?

It shouldn't be either.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:53 PM

926 posts, read 670,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Well, if any of those women were SMART, as soon as the assistant left, THEY would've left ALSO. Full stop!

Old 11-11-2017, 03:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,426,728 times
Quote:
TBH, I would be surprised if most women don't recall (a)situation(s) where they have been raped or date raped, or molested. It's not hyperbole, we just don't talk about it, but don't ask each other about it either. Our own situation is foremost in our minds, so we don't assume other people haven't been through the same thing. The outpouring of revealing stories just confirms to me that: "yeah it happens to most people, some of us aren't celebrities." This may be why it isn't shocking, and starts to feel like background noise. Its not so unique.

Why didn't these people in particular come out publicly and say something before? The same reason other people don't. There's a history of blaming the victim, "Who cares?" attitude, "prove it" (who wants to prove that?) and now you're a pariah or damaged. Hardly much benefit to talking about it.
IMO
There really is no benefit to talking about it most of the time. If things are changing for the better - that's ok with me.

Many times a woman won't speak up until the man no longer has power over her. Boss, producer, etc.

Or they are too afraid to speak up ~ until someone else does.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,749,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know what ? it is that Hollywood lifestyle and some of these women I think are just spouting off to get their careers back on track . I kid you not . I think it is all a ploy and I'm sick of hearing about it . I sure hope no one judges me by some of the things I did way back when . You cannot go back and change anything . Yes why did they not report it when it happened to the police ? All of us know why because some of it obviously did not happen .

If you're referring to Dreyfuss' accuser, you've got to be kidding me. She's a Rhodes Scholar, for gawd's sake, and a published author many times over. She doesn't need publicity or a "career push."

Some of these sex pests danced too long.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,288,220 times
Quote:

IMO
This ^ is the truth of 'our' common experiences as human beings and it has been going on since mankind has been roaming the earth! People didn't just invent these atrocities recently.

Hopefully, the benefit now is that the shaming is over and the predation will no longer be tolerated.

the preying of one animal on others: "an effective defense against predation"the action of attacking or plundering: "the old story of male predation and female vulnerability"· "the predations of would-be pirates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Anyone scratching their heads and acting totally befuddled as to why women don't just come out immediately when they're violated? The answer is in this thread. And it's pretty obvious.
Who's to say that the victims (men, women AND grown children) did not come out immediately to report the assaults and were then not believed or as one case in particular which I recall reading about, that the police decided not to act on the allegations! Nice, huh? One puts themselves in a vulnerable position to start with and then...what? Nothing! Then, what's the damn point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events