Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
I agree the man that took this guys life should have a reduced sentence. Period.
And how would you feel if your daughter was raped by this person, leaving her traumatized to the point where she can not have a relationship with a man years later, and he has only served 1/3 of his sentence? Still feel like he should get out early for committing murder?

That is beyond idiotic.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,252 times
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
And how would you feel if your daughter was raped by this person, leaving her traumatized to the point where she can not have a relationship with a man years later, and he has only served 1/3 of his sentence? Still feel like he should get out early for committing murder?

That is beyond idiotic.
I will admit I didn't think it all the way through and your point is valid. It depends on what he is in there for.

Last edited by fly_me; 11-16-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
I will admit I didn't think it all the way through and your point is valid. It depends on what he is in their for.
What he is in there for? He is in there for rape, as far as we know. And now he will be in there for murder too. Because he doesn't get to choose who lives or dies! Why would anyone want to put that decision making ability into the hands of a convicted criminal for his, and his only considerations??

Its just funny (in a sad way)

Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
What he is in there for? He is in there for rape, as far as we know. And now he will be in there for murder too. Because he doesn't get to choose who lives or dies! Why would anyone want to put that decision making ability into the hands of a convicted criminal for his, and his only considerations??

Its just funny (in a sad way)
Actually the prison system has it's own hierarchy. Justice is sometimes served whether people agree with it or not. The lowest on the totem pole are child killers and pedophiles. The prison system sometimes serves out their form of justice. Right or wrong that is how it is. I guess I could see someone getting upset over a child killer dying but I would not be included in that group. I don't think this guy deserves a reward or reduced sentence for killing the baby killer, but I shed no tear for the baby killer dying either.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:47 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Regardless of the circumstances and political implications of this form of justice, I applaud it.

There ARE monsters in the world, and there ARE people that have to deal with them. The majority of the population will just tut-tut and light candles.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 AM

I didn't read that he was in for rape. If he really did do the rape then he should serve his sentence. There is a % in there they did not commit their crimes. But now we know he killed. It is complex.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
The moral squirming and contorting in an effort to lionize a rapist who killed a murderer is kind of amusing, I have to say.

When a rabid dog kills another rabid dog, do you reward it?

We have a justice system for a reason. It's not perfect, but it's better than they've got in a lot of places. Without it, we would have complete chaos. Instead of rooting for one horrible person killing another horrible person, maybe get involved in advocating for laws that conform with your values or preventing the conditions that contribute to the production of criminals in the first place.

Or just sit there and root for chaos. If that's what blows your skirt up.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
More of us have a huge Libertarian streak through our bodies and are OK with it.

True, what another poster said (in college he/she worked at a correctional facility) they do have their own code. Not just women and children they defend (this may go w women too) but those disgusting pimps that don't know how to fight a MAN but beat on already traumatized girls I heard get beaten and turned into women in prison - sometimes forced to be the worker for the tough guy.
"Worker"???
You mean owned and used--w/o any choice

Husband watched movie on Netflix I think
The guy playing Jamie on GoT--Nicholas something
Was upwardly mobile yuppie--great life/wife/family
Out to dinner w another couple
He had little too much to drink--and drove home--like many people in US do all the time...not alcoholic but social drinking and used bad judgement
Accident (not really his causitive fault--but reaction time maybe factor)
guy in backseat died as result
Harsh prosecution
His lawyer advised to plead to lesser charge w/incarceration reduced vs risk guilty verdict w/longer penalty
He went to prison and the requirements of surviving in that alien, totally corrupt and brute force environment led to decisions that ultimately destroyed his life...
Interesting movie--very realistic even if a little melodramatic

Sort of like one Tom Selleck did about dirty cops lieing about him in drug case to cover up their mistakes
Selleck's character managed to prove innocence after going to prison but was not unscathed
His ended a lot more positive which was also less realistic probably...

Prisons have little to do with rehabilitation and everything to do w/encapsulating bad aspects of society to protect the "good" people
The fact that white collar criminals still swim very freely in society--stealing money, building products that kill by defective design or wilful disregard for damages just prove how dececgive the system is...

Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The moral squirming and contorting in an effort to lionize a rapist who killed a murderer is kind of amusing, I have to say.

When a rabid dog kills another rabid dog, do you reward it?

We have a justice system for a reason. It's not perfect, but it's better than they've got in a lot of places. Without it, we would have complete chaos. Instead of rooting for one horrible person killing another horrible person, maybe get involved in advocating for laws that conform with your values or preventing the conditions that contribute to the production of criminals in the first place.

Or just sit there and root for chaos. If that's what blows your skirt up.
How about not being so terribly mean to people emotionally responding to something devastating without thinking (admittedly) a lot through. It is a message board, not our thesis.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 AM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
"Worker"???
You mean owned and used--w/o any choice

Husband watched movie on Netflix I think
The guy playing Jamie on GoT--Nicholas something
Was upwardly mobile yuppie--great life/wife/family
Out to dinner w another couple
He had little too much to drink--and drove home--like many people in US do all the time...not alcoholic but social drinking and used bad judgement
Accident (not really his causitive fault--but reaction time maybe factor)
guy in backseat died as result
Harsh prosecution
His lawyer advised to plead to lesser charge w/incarceration reduced vs risk guilty verdict w/longer penalty
He went to prison and the requirements of surviving in that alien, totally corrupt and brute force environment led to decisions that ultimately destroyed his life...
Interesting movie--very realistic even if a little melodramatic

Sort of like one Tom Selleck did about dirty cops lieing about him in drug case to cover up their mistakes
Selleck's character managed to prove innocence after going to prison but was not unscathed
His ended a lot more positive which was also less realistic probably...

Prisons have little to do with rehabilitation and everything to do w/encapsulating bad aspects of society to protect the "good" people
The fact that white collar criminals still swim very freely in society--stealing money, building products that kill by defective design or wilful disregard for damages just prove how dececgive the system is...

I do not watch GOT but would like to watch that Netflix film if you will kindly ask your hubby if he recalls name. Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events