Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

PTSD and Panic disorder are real, serious mental health disorders and are covered under the ADA. The service dogs are trained with specific tasks and in some cases double as a ESA. I would be very surprised if the college student won the case with an ESA, because they are not covered under the ADA and its up to the establishment if they want to allow them. So don't make this another ESA bashing thread...please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
regularly played... Also, how do you when it working and not working? An attack can happen at any time. Can the dog just switch when she is having a panic attack while he is being played with?

i say fail with this girl needed a full time dog to help her with panic attacks. While she need one at her job??
If it was trained to notice when its owner was getting anxious and climb on her, then it doesn't need to sit with her staring at her. It can play and come back and do its job. It can totally switch...its a border collie, play and work are the same thing. It might even be able to sense she is having panic symptoms when they aren't even in the same room.

You just don't try to get it to come play with you when it is working. Service dogs aren't robots. They are still dogs.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If it was trained to notice when its owner was getting anxious and climb on her, then it doesn't need to sit with her staring at her. It can play and come back and do its job. It can totally switch...its a border collie,play and work are the same thing. It might even be able to sense she is having panic symptoms when they aren't even in the same room.

You just don't try to get it to come play with you when it is working. Service dogs aren't robots. They are still dogs.
The dog is an 8 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the girl is a psychology student.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:05 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
True service dogs are not allowed to interact with other people. Plain and simple. ESAs are not service dogs. ESAs are allowed more freedom in interacting with people. The ESA title has been abused much more in the last few years by selfish people who don't care about anyone but themselves. They are the people who are making the government crack down on all service dogs and ESA dogs. It's shameful really.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The dog is an 8 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the girl is a psychology student.
Well changes nothing. I read it was a young border collie. Weird. Online news for ya.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
True service dogs are not allowed to interact with other people. Plain and simple. ESAs are not service dogs. ESAs are allowed more freedom in interacting with people. The ESA title has been abused much more in the last few years by selfish people who don't care about anyone but themselves. They are the people who are making the government crack down on all service dogs and ESA dogs. It's shameful really.
This is NOT true. I did serious leg work to get a service dog for a disabled family member. They should not be petted or approached while working, but other then that, they are just dogs! Trust me, I did 6 months of research and paper work for a disabled extended-family member before they chose not to go that route.

Yes, lets hate on ESAs. Why not. Its easy and fun. Some people take advantage of that. Some don't.

The government doesn't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. They would have to start making laws and reforming them about who.how.why.when. Tax money is better spent. But if it matters to you, contact your local representatives.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:23 AM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Well changes nothing. I read it was a young border collie. Weird. Online news for ya.
Then you read your news from a moron. The accompanying video clip shows a border collie training but the narrative didn't link to the girl's pet so someone obviously wasn't paying attention.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:57 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
I'm going to start suing people just because I can. If you reply to my post, I will sue you too.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:21 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
This is NOT true. I did serious leg work to get a service dog for a disabled family member. They should not be petted or approached while working, but other then that, they are just dogs! Trust me, I did 6 months of research and paper work for a disabled extended-family member before they chose not to go that route.

Yes, lets hate on ESAs. Why not. Its easy and fun. Some people take advantage of that. Some don't.

The government doesn't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. They would have to start making laws and reforming them about who.how.why.when. Tax money is better spent. But if it matters to you, contact your local representatives.
Who is hating on ESAs? There are real ESAs and fake ones. The people who present their dog as an ESA that actually is not are the ones who are ruining it for those who truly need one. I am training an ESA at the end of December for someone who truly needs one.

The government IS getting involved. They have to because of those people who don't want to leave little Fifi at home and instead sit her on the table at a restaurant and feed her from their plate. If the manager asks them about it, they claim she's a service dog and then they are left alone.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:52 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Then you read your news from a moron. The accompanying video clip shows a border collie training but the narrative didn't link to the girl's pet so someone obviously wasn't paying attention.
Who cares? Unimportant if it was mistaken as a cavalier or collie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events