Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bingo. Because, thanks to mom, her 9-year-old son who was with them, was also indignant and carping to the media about how his sister was treated. And, after the mall honchos said they'd send [presumably, a different] Santa to her house, she said she'd have to think about it because she was still upset, and wasn't sure if she wanted "those people" in her house.

Most of us have taken our kids to see Santa. When you're at the front of the line, as these people were, that kid could have had her pic taken with Santa, without the dog, and without a medical incident--a medical incident that didn't happen, BTW, in the LONGER time it took for this mom to create a scene, and argue with Santa's elves.

And I'd love to know how long her daughter is away from her support dog when she's doing her thing on "a normal cheerleading team," as the mom sniffed. I'm guessing a lot longer than the time it would have taken to simply sit for a picture with Santa.
Bingo for this post too. Mom could have agreed to pull the dog to one side while her daughter remained in her sight and in the dog's sight while the daughter's picture was taken. Instead she chose to make a scene, upset both her kids and probably every one else there, and leave without her kids getting their pictures. How did her decision serve anyone? Answer, it didn't, it only served her as fodder for FB posts. God forbid that she use any common sense or think about Santa's medical problems. Just another idiot whose addiction to being a social media diva trumps everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I posed this in another group. Give me one instance where someone has had a severe allergic reaction to an animal who doesn't live in the building you are in, isn't in touching proximity to you, and doesn't lick you. I can't find any such instance. Allergic reactions you mention are more in the food such as peanuts than in animals where you don't touch them or their dander. If you had such an issue, then wouldn't even touching the girl have caused a reaction? She would, of course, have both saliva and dander/hair on her from the service dog. It is my belief (and I am stressing my belief) that this was an instance of fear of dog not actual issue with allergies. There are many people with extreme fear of animals.
Apparently you have never been around someone who is highly allergic to cats or dogs. It could bring on an asthma attack and a trip to the ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/dog#causes

If Santa has asthma, there is a chance that the allergy could turn into an asthma attack which you can die from if not treated properly. As for the other symptoms, you might not think they are severe, but I personally wouldn't want these to happen to me while on the job.

swelling and itching in the membranes of the nose or around the eyes
redness of the skin after being licked by a dog
coughing, shortness of breath, or wheezing within 15 to 30 minutes of exposure to allergens
rash on the face, neck, or chest
a severe asthma attack (in someone with asthma)
Exactly. Seems to be lost on some.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Me too. I am also sick of seeing them in grocery stores. We are not talking about seeing eye dogs, but those "emotional support" dogs people have to have with them 24/7 so they can function.
And what about legitimate, trained, service dogs who are not with their people in the grocery store because the dogs' owners just want to have the dogs with them out of love - seizure alert dogs, dogs for veterans with PTSD that makes it difficult for them to go out alone, service dogs who help people with impaired mobility, etc. They need to be with their people in grocery stores and restaurants and malls, etc. The service dogs I've seen have been quiet, calm, and focussed on their people.

I personally regard my own dog as my 'emotional support dog'; but I'm not about to get a doctor's note or prescription or whatever so I can take him into a grocery store, because that would not be fair to people with genuine emotional and physical disabilities who need such dogs. (Besides, my dog does not have the training; and is so food-reactive he would grab at everything he could in the grocery store - he's fine in the car repair place's waiting room or book store or an office, on-leash of course)

Old 11-29-2017, 09:28 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
When I see proof that the girl does her cheerleading routines with the dog at.her.side.constantly, then I'll feel bad about her being separated from the dog for something like two minutes at the most. Frankly, I feel more like it's a chance for the mom to be an "internet sensation" and get her 15 minutes of indignation and outrage coverage.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:09 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javacoffee View Post
sometimes i think that if it weren't for facebook, people would walk away mad, grab an ice cream cone and forget about it 5 minutes later. That's what normal people used to do.

this^^^^^^x100

Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I happen to be "so sick of people" and their stupid bias towards making accommodations for disabled. Unless you live, you don't get it.

Can the child be away from the dog for 2 minutes? It detects seizures. It doesn't pick up news papers or makes her happy...it detects seizures! And she was willing to get the photo without the dog, he just needed to see her. And they refused even that.

And they know they messed up and are making reparations.
Tough crap! If that man playing Santa has an allergy, he gets the last word on this! Sorry, but the kid can be away from the dog for a minute for goodness sake. I am tired of these parents and how privileged people are acting. Santa can't help he has an allergy. Goodness!

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Well, if this dog provided some sort of emotional-security for the girl and mom....can you blame mom for being furious!?!?!?!?

Maybe mom should invest in a emotional-security-dog vest, that I see a lot people put on their dogs?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
I have to wonder if the daughter follows the dog around the back yard when the dog does his business, or if the dog follows her into the bathroom while she does her own business. I think the dog does great things for the child, but I have to think there is some serious over exaggeration on the mother's part.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, if this dog provided some sort of emotional-security for the girl and mom....can you blame mom for being furious!?!?!?!?

Maybe mom should invest in a emotional-security-dog vest, that I see a lot people put on their dogs?
IT is NOT an ESA!!!!!!!! It is a dog trained to be able to tell when she is about to have a seizure.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you have serious allergies than you wouldn't take the stance you did on the sorority house. Because anyone with serious allergies knows taking a pill or just getting used to it, isn't possible. You would know the misery it causes the allergy sufferer to be around dogs or cats.

The mother is an arrogant woman who got nasty right from the start, than ran home and posted about on Facebook rather than properly address it.

Probably looking for a "payday" in the land of the easily offended.
Well you are wrong, I do have serious allergies. And I take care of them myself and be proactive. That is how I live now. I don't go into pet stores that sell pets because chances are, I would end up very sick. I wouldn't take a job that would put me near the things I am allergic to either.

I would never be bothered by a service animal. What I go through with allergies is nothing (and treatable) compared to what people who are disabled enough to need a service animal go through.

I just don't expect the world to stop spinning for my allergies. I even am fairly allergic to dogs (though not my worst) and have them. I take an allergy pill every day, I wash my hands when I pet them, I have other people bathe and brush them, etc. I am pretty sure Santa could have managed the dog being a few feet away for 2 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events