Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats how very wealthy people STAY wealthy sometimes, even though she could have afforded a private jet, its much cheaper to fly like she did.
Exactly. That's how athletes or other people who are suddenly unexpectedly wealthy blow through it and have nothing at all to show for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
IMO airlines should always leave an empty row on flights in case anything like this happens. Don’t sell a row. Not a whole row across, just one section of 2 or 3 seats. They can move the belligerent drunk back there (yeah, preferably at the very back of the plane) and zip tie his hands or something or just babysat him until landing. Selling out the whole plane leaves zero room for actually solving a problem like this in a way that is fair to all other paying passengers who don’t deserve to have to be around a person behaving like this. Also, stop serving alcohol once someone has clearly had too much. If THAT makes them belligerent, to the zip tie seat they go.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,657,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why do you think she would post negatively about Alaskan Airlines removing a man who was sexually harassing her? Of anything, she would post a thank you for resolving the issue.
Other videos of drunk and/or belligerent passengers being removed have quickly raised an outcry and gone viral, and I'm sure the current addiction to social media was a contributing factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Seriously, the number of incidents with over indulging alcoholics on airplanes and especially the indolent aggressive ones, makes me wonder why airlines have not adopted the 'brig' on a ship equivalent on airplanes?
If I had my own airline this is one feature that I would have. I never understood the rationale of having one or a few idiots ruin / inconvenience a few hundred other people for their stupid behavior.
I think airline personnel are trained to placate rather than confront troublesome passengers once in the air to avoid escalating the problem into a dangerous situation. We're talking about flight attendants, not professional bouncers. Trying to wrestle a now-combative passenger into a cage or even to apply zipties is dangerous. Giving the airlines more latitude to remove verbally abusive or intoxicated passengers before takeoff, even if it means taking everyone else off the plane first and employing a security team to do it, then banning alcohol in flight would probably solve >90% of the problems. However, then airlines have to deal with irate passengers, particularly frequent-flyer business people, who'd rather put up with a drunk nearby than have the flight delayed or miss out on their own cocktails.

I'm really surprised that Ms. Zuckerberg doesn't fly with state-of-the-art noise-cancelling headphones, which is what most frequent flyers do. I'd like to hear someone ask her if she had any with her or not.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
While I agree, wouldn't you think in a closed cabin situation the "don't poke the bear" concept is a more rational choice. Of course throwing the guy off the plane would have been the ideal choice but if the plane has taken off then at least slowing his alcohol consumption would be another good step.
Don't poke the bear? Meanwhile the bear is poking others. Why continue to serve him? The plane wasn't in the air so he could have easily been removed.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why should the person who's not a drunken idiot be forced to move? She paid for a first class seat. She didn't pay for a first class seat with a drunken fool. The flight attendants should NOT have continued to serve the drunken fool. That's 100% on them.
They may not even have begun to serve him at all, if the plane was still on the ground. He probably had been drinking in the bar, before boarding.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:34 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.boston.com/news/national...ssed-on-flight

In a letter to executives of the Seattle-based airline, she said she was extremely uncomfortable with a man sitting near her, explaining he constantly made sexually explicit and lewd comments to her and others in the first-class section while being served multiple alcoholic drinks.

1. They offered to move her, she declined (seems odd with a 3 hour flight ahead)
2. She is worth 100 million......WTF is she doing flying Alaskan Airlines!?!
I'm not condoning it what the guy did, but why the **** wouldn't you move if they offered to do it?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
IMO airlines should always leave an empty row on flights in case anything like this happens. Don’t sell a row. Not a whole row across, just one section of 2 or 3 seats. They can move the belligerent drunk back there (yeah, preferably at the very back of the plane) and zip tie his hands or something or just babysat him until landing. Selling out the whole plane leaves zero room for actually solving a problem like this in a way that is fair to all other paying passengers who don’t deserve to have to be around a person behaving like this. Also, stop serving alcohol once someone has clearly had too much. If THAT makes them belligerent, to the zip tie seat they go.
Good luck with that. The only way the airlines will ever agree to that, is if they can jam in another row of seats, so they don't lose revenue. Even then they probably would not agree, because if they jam in another row of seats, they would want to make those seats revenue too.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:01 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm not condoning it what the guy did, but why the **** wouldn't you move if they offered to do it?
I would not downgrade when I paid for a first class ticket. Doesn't matter how rich or poor I am. I am not the problem, I am not moving. They can move the obnoxious guy. Unless they're willing to give me a full refund and some sort of voucher for next time for the trouble. And even then... why is it me who has to move, again??

It seems he was also bothering others, so it wasn't just Zuckerberg's sister. It started upon boarding the plane, so they could have solved the problem before even taking off. According to the email, the flight attendants told her he is a frequent flier who frequently does the same type of thing, and they repeatedly need to talk to him about it. I think maybe it's time Alaska Airlines stops giving this guy what he wants. Sometimes, all the other passengers near him matter more than the money he frequently gives an already wealthy company. This shows you what power and money can get you, they don't want to offend or bother the guy who's a frequent customer. So he uses that to his advantage.

I think the airline screwed up. It's too late now, but they need to be more considerate when dealing with situations like this. I still like my idea of leaving an empty row for problem passengers... Keep throwing this guy in the back of the plane alone and see how quickly the issue stops. Whether it's him leaving the airline (good for all involved) or him sobering up and acting like a decent human being on the plane.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They may not even have begun to serve him at all, if the plane was still on the ground. He probably had been drinking in the bar, before boarding.
First class is given beverages before they start boarding the rest of the plane. They'll even get refills before take off.

And if a drunken passenger boards, they can and should be removed. No one in the airport should be served until their intoxicated.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
If I paid for first class, no way I'm moving to coach! First class is soooo different! It also costs significantly more. I've seen first class cost 5 times what coach costs. Why should she eat that? Especially when being drunk on a plane isn't allowed. It's against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events