Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
It's not just young people. I can't believe how many people bash millennials and younger for their technology use, when every day I see just as many people from the older generations buried in their phones. It always frustrates me when I go back home to visit my parents and I'm sitting with my family in the living room and I'm the only one not constantly on my phone.

I found an article with some interesting statistics (https://priceonomics.com/which-gener...cted-by-their/). It's not specifically about cell phone use but technology in general. From the article:

Who uses technology during meals?
– Generation Z (15-20): 38%
– Millennial (21-34): 40%
– Generation X (35-49): 45%
– Baby Boomers (50-64): 52%
– Silent Generation (65+): 42%

Too many people have become so disconnected from the world around them because of the device that was intended to keep everyone connected all the time.
That must be an old article, because someone who is currently 50 years old is not a Boomer. The Boomer era ended in 1964.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Whats a 11 yr old doing outside wearing headphone and iPhone crossing a railroad track? Forget trains, she could easily gotten kidnapped or run over by a car.

A lot of children her age are kidnapped because their parents did not protect them.
Davenport is a small town, less than 3,000 people. The kind of town where people move because they want their kids to grow up in a safe environment. Haines City, where the accident happened, only has about 20,000. So it's a small town environment, where kids are often given freedom to do simple things -- like go to the store. She was walking home after going to a convenience store, which is not unheard of for an 11 year old in a small town.

Most "missing" kids her age are missing due to getting lost, running away or because of a custody dispute. Being "kidnapped" by a stranger or slight acquaintance is actually very rare -- a fraction of 1% of total missing kids -- which is why you hear about it on the news. So, no, not "a lot of children are kidnapped". Check the stats.

It's just a tragic accident. No need to make ugly judgments about her parents' parenting skills. Don't you think they feel bad enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events