Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I don't agree with these huge payouts. There is no reason any human should suddenly acquire that much money. I think the cap should be much, much lower, and have more people win. Twenty-two people could have won $20 million each in this case.
Personally, I wouldn't want the headaches that comes with this money, but why hate on the guy? That's what the lottery is for and it's perfectly legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would hope there are some smart folks looking out for him. I would have remained anonymous if it were me.
Unfortunately the laws of his state did not allow that. If that were the case, Mr. Abraham Shakespeare, another winner from that state would probably be alive today had he remained anonymous.

Best thing this young man can do is simply go live in another country somewhere.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I hope he is a responsible kid, If I had won that much money at that age, Im certain I would be either dead or broke by now.

I dont think even many older adults could handle winning that much money (myself included), we all say we would make the smart choices, but its a whole other story when you see that amount on your bank balance, you mind starts going a mile a minute, imaging what you can now do.
I heard a guy on one of the daytime talk shows say he wish he would have never won the multi-million jackpot and this was years ago. looked at him like he was nuts, but fast forward years in my own maturity and logic, can see where he was coming from. I surmise it was the constant badgering from others and headaches that propelled him to make this statement.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:36 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Sadly, that is a common fate for the winners of large fortunes.
Worse, from this day forward, all his new acquaintances will be suspect.
Well, I don’t feel sorry for him at all. If he doesn’t want the money, I’ll take it!

Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I heard a guy on one of the daytime talk shows say he wish he would have never won the multi-million jackpot and this was years ago. looked at him like he was nuts, but fast forward years in my own maturity and logic, can see where he was coming from. I surmise it was the constant badgering from others and headaches that propelled him to make this statement.
That's why if I ever did win the lottery, I would not tell ANYBODY (only my parents). I wouldn't even tell my brother.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:19 PM

581 posts, read 456,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want the headaches that comes with this money, but why hate on the guy? That's what the lottery is for and it's perfectly legal.
I agree. I think it's awesome he won and I'm glad someone young gets to enjoy it, but that's just way too much money. I wouldn't mind having a few mil or so in the bank, but not the level of wealth that makes you paranoid and questioning everyone's motives.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That's why if I ever did win the lottery, I would not tell ANYBODY (only my parents). I wouldn't even tell my brother.
Hard to keep it a secret for long when they see a Rolls Royce parked in your driveway

Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Hard to keep it a secret for long when they see a Rolls Royce parked in your driveway
Who wins the lotto and stays in the same house?

People will have forgotten this guy by the time the money is actually deposited into his account.

I remember seeing one of the 3 people that won that billion dollar lotto last year, on one of the morning news shows, but I cant even remember his name today, he has been forgotten for the most part, Im sure he likes it too.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:57 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Hidden family and friends are going to pop up out of nowhere asking for handouts, conjuring up stories of "Remember how I had your back when you were picked on?"

In all honesty, those who aren't used to money would blow through millions like water. If I won that 450 million, after I had taxes taken out, I'd be left with a lump sum of $300 million, which I could live on that for life: Put some in a college fund for each of my little cousins, invest and live on the interest. Plus, give 20% to my church for ministry work, and that's that.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,791 times
Congrats to this young man. I trust that the monies serve him and his family well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events