Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,312,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
It's the movie star dream of the 21st century. Totally unrealistic for most kids, requires connections people hear nothing about, and is actually boring and repetitive unless you absolutely LOVE looking at yourself in the mirror. Even then, I think a lot of these kids just know no other life, and for the viewers, they can't imagine how much drudgery goes into it.

My kids definitely have this dream but as many have mentioned I do my best to bring them down to earth. I wanted to be a backup dancer for Madonna briefly. I assume this is their generation's equivalent.
Nah. Back in the day if people wanted to be movie stars, they had to pack up and move to LA and work their way up from the bottom as a PA/extra. Being a vlogger is completely different. All you really need to get started in good internet service and a camera. Video editing software is nice, as is some basic knowledge in video/sound editing, but not required. And you don't really need connections since all it doesn't take much to draw people onto your channel. A viral video, connection to something topical (e.g., vlog about a recent episode of a popular TV show), a niche presentation, or a strong personality. For example, I watch a lot of hair/makeup how to videos on Youtube from women sitting in their homes in some random location and some of these videos have close to or even over a million views. This is before you toss in brand endorsements.

The internet has made the entertainment industry decentralized and highly accessible. Issa Rae went from making Youtube videos to having her own show on HBO and becoming a producer on another one. Anyone can make a film, music video, TV series, etc with the right hardware and software. No plane tickets required, no need to bus tables by day while heavily networking at night. The middle man, whether it be an agent, producer, or company, were the ones bottle-necking these industries, making the decisions on who would "make it" based on sometimes subjective matters and now they've been eliminated to a certain point and content can be delivered directly to consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,925,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Seems to work just fine for the Kardashians. And other reality TV stars.

I wouldn’t want to share my life that way, but given the popularity of Facebook obviously a lot of people do.
Well reality stars are different. They don't film themselves and they work for/under large networks like E! or MTV which air their shows. They are casted, selected for shows. Their show has to be picked up. Anyone can pick up a camera and vlog for YT.

Not that I am defending them, but the Kardashians have built an empire. Sure, the TV exposure definitely helped, but if their show went away they would be fine. A lot of reality stars really can't say the same. Look how many reality shows there have been over the years - or how many different seasons of The Real World or similar shows with changing casts, or short-lived stuff. Does anyone remember the majority of those people? Did they make it big long-term? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Yeah, they're lazy because they're deciding to actually follow their dream

Starting your own business or being your own boss is always a risk, but the potential to be financially free and work your own hours is priceless.
Vloggers "following the dream"? LOL No, they're jumping on the bandwagon of not having a real job and hoping for the best.

I hope you realize I see a difference between daily vloggers, especially family vloggers with kids, and people like makeup youtubers or gaming youtubers. There are quite a few talented makeup YT people that I like. Some other genres, too, but mostly beauty.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,393,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Vloggers "following the dream"? LOL No, they're jumping on the bandwagon of not having a real job and hoping for the best.

I hope you realize I see a difference between daily vloggers, especially family vloggers with kids, and people like makeup youtubers or gaming youtubers. There are quite a few talented makeup YT people that I like. Some other genres, too, but mostly beauty.
Okay, that's still following a dream of being an entrepreneur. Don't try to twist the words around to make it seem different

And everyone jumps on a bandwagon of starting their own business or something like that and hoping for the best. This is no different.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Okay, that's still following a dream of being an entrepreneur. Don't try to twist the words around to make it seem different

And everyone jumps on a bandwagon of starting their own business or something like that and hoping for the best. This is no different.
Twist what words around?

You can call quitting your job and hopping on the vlogging bandwagon whatever you want, I call it laziness. Oh well.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,274,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I wish they didn't have that sliding scale, and they put them all on the same level, from the small to the biggest. It puts too much money at the top, and too little at the bottom.
I have a better suggestion/idea, everybody should just get adblocker, then instead of content creators getting between $1-5 for every 1,000 views from Google AdSense, every creator from the ones with 10 million subscribers and over 2 billion total views to the ones with 1,000 subscribers and 10,000 total views, all get the same from AdSense $0.00!

I haven't seen an ad on YouTube in over 5 years, and will never go back, adblocker is a godsend for surfing the internet. It's funny sometimes, reading people's comments under certain videos complaining about certain ads they saw, and I keep thinking what ads (?), oh yeah I have adblocker on!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Twist what words around?

You can call quitting your job and hopping on the vlogging bandwagon whatever you want, I call it laziness. Oh well.
Even if it might be laziness, so what?

How exactly is it laziness if they're making good money by doing it? It's one thing if they aren't getting paid, or being paid very little (in that case, you should be working until if/when your own business takes off).

And plenty of people start their own business every day in order to avoid working a 9 to 5 grind for life (one reason at least). I guess they must all be lazy to you

Also, daily vlogging is not as easy as it looks (I would know since I had tried it in the past). Definitely not for the lazy.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
How exactly is it laziness if they're making good money by doing it? It's one thing if they aren't getting paid, or being paid very little (in that case, you should be working until if/when your own business takes off).

And plenty of people start their own business every day in order to avoid working a 9 to 5 grind for life. I guess they must all be lazy to you

Also, daily vlogging is not as easy as it looks (I would know since I had tried it in the past). Definitely not for the lazy.
Ahh lol I figured you must be a vlogger or have tried it given how defensive you got and still are getting.

Carrying a camera around while you film your daily life, don't work, and hope for that adsense $$. Not lazy or anything, sure.

We will agree to disagree, but I would appreciate you to stop the for my personal opinions.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Ahh lol I figured you must be a vlogger or have tried it given how defensive you got and still are getting.

Carrying a camera around while you film your daily life, don't work, and hope for that adsense $$. Not lazy or anything, sure.

We will agree to disagree, but I would appreciate you to stop the for my personal opinions.
Ah, lol. The only one that seems to be getting defensive here is you for even mentioning it. We're having a convo.

Yeah, because everyone that does it is lazy

Another eyeroll cause your posts (in this thread at least) are deserving of them

Shouldn't say I did "daily" vlogging. Only had done like 3-4 videos.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Ah, lol. The only one that seems to be getting defensive here is you for even mentioning it. We're having a convo.
Sure, dude. Whatever you say.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Sure, dude. Whatever you say.
Right back at ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events