Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 03:44 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,877,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I never valet park either of my Bentleys or my Ferraris. They do, however, let me (self) park in the front row. I keep my keys, get a good spot, and the kid gets a big tip to watch the car. Work well all around.
I do valet park my Acura and my Ford. It's one of those little luxuries I can afford by not having any Bentleys or Ferraris...

On the Internet nobody knows whether you're kidding.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,458,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Not theft? How do you figure? He took a car that he knew wasn't his. It doesn't matter what he did with the car. Taking something that isn't yours is theft, plain and simple.

Also, as you have stated, these cars are not easy to drive. Because of this, damage can easily happen. It was the owners right to have the vehicle inspected and worn/damaged parts replaced due to the "joyride". Also, depending on the damage done, it could diminish the value of the vehicle because people who do buy these, want them in top condition. Generally, that would mean no parts repaired or replaced outside of fluid changes.
I remember some local kids back when I was in high school, took a van from a electronics store one night, keys were in the van and it was unlocked, they got caught like 30 minutes later, and I dont believe any of them had a DL. It seems like the charge was something lesser than auto theft, I want to say the charge was actually 'joy riding', but it was so long ago, Im not sure. A kid 3 houses down was involved in this, so I heard all about it.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:25 AM

3,033 posts, read 1,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It seems like the charge was something lesser than auto theft, I want to say the charge was actually 'joy riding', but it was so long ago, Im not sure.
You're right. Here's an article about the differences between joyriding (misdemeanor) & grand auto theft (felony).

Grand Theft Auto vs. Joyriding: Which Crime Depends on Time - FindLaw Blotter

I'm also wondering if time/age makes the difference, too? I recall an incident where a few 13-14 yr old neighborhood kids were dragged home by their collars to their parents by detectives for placing rocks on the railroad tracks. No arrests or tickets (what the charge would be, I don't know), but "Wait 'til your father gets home" was a scary phrase to hear back then.

Now, we've read stories about 8-yr old kids being handcuffed at school by police for having a tantrum in the principal's office.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,282,619 times
Regardless the owner been a lawyer or having hookers, coke and whatever at the convention the point is the valet company gave the car to the wrong person. The person who stole the car (that’s right stole because taking something without the owners permission or taking something that’s not yours is theft) should be arrested for theft of a vehicle. It’s. Indifferent than the car being driven up andeft with the keys in the ignition. You get in and drive off it’s now a stolen vehicle.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 AM

29,877 posts, read 11,477,422 times
Quote:
I dont think this is on the level of car theft, it looks like he was just joyriding, but when its a Ferrari, well thats going to be treated different than if it was a Chevy or a Toyota!

Im surprised he didnt wreck it, cars like this are not that easy to drive, they are insanely powerful and the shifting is not the same as in lower priced cars, even the cop realized he was having trouble handling it.
Hard to say what his intentions were. I would say joyriding if he brought it back. But he didn't. He got caught by the police while on the road so its easy for him to say he was only joyriding. Its not like he is a teenager sneaking off with his dad's car for a few minutes.

The guy has a shady background. Its quite possible he was going to drop it off at a chop shop for a quick payday.

I would charge him with grand theft. Let him prove in court differently.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,942,728 times
Quote:
I remember some local kids back when I was in high school, took a van from a electronics store one night, keys were in the van and it was unlocked, they got caught like 30 minutes later, and I dont believe any of them had a DL. It seems like the charge was something lesser than auto theft, I want to say the charge was actually 'joy riding', but it was so long ago, Im not sure. A kid 3 houses down was involved in this, so I heard all about it.
They might have pleaded a lesser charge in court, but they most certainly could/should have been charged with theft.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:08 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How specifically was the lawyer stupid?
I don't think leaving cocaine in your car at the valet is very smart...

Old 01-26-2018, 03:32 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,470,511 times

Old 01-26-2018, 08:55 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
Lol, that movie scene was the first thing that came to my mind.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,458,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
They might have pleaded a lesser charge in court, but they most certainly could/should have been charged with theft.
Post #43 shows the difference between grand theft auto and joyriding, it comes down to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events