Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,019,995 times

Advertisements

I would so take that phone away for the remainder of the time I paid the kids bills...and he would be off to some second class boarding school too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 07:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,246,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Unless I am very much mistaken, as the boy is a minor, that is not legally permitted unless someone else accepts custody. That being said, I would first have the kid psychologically evaluated -- and then I might consider turning him over to Social Services.

In any case, I think the kid definitely has some anger management issues at the very least.
First, I hope the kid gets incarcerated for a very long time. How can they put him back in the home knowing he's capable of something so violent (and vile)?

Second, you're right. But different states have different laws. (Check emancipation laws for example)
I actually wanted to surrender my 14yr old (at the time) to the state and got chewed out royally and told I'd have to pay child support to the state (thinking back, that may have been a good deal for me). And on and on that lady read me the riot act until...... I meekly backed down and suggested a drug test, which she happily did. Once she saw he tested positive for THC and benzos she sang a different tune. She became much more helpful. (she was very pro-kid which was a good thing in her job)

Third, why would you take such a little ingrate out to dinner? Pffft. Hot Pockets till the day you move out buddy.

Now that he's in the juvenile system, there will be doors opened to the father to get help IF he sticks by his guns and doesn't back down from the little viper.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 AM

9,312 posts, read 11,059,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Sometimes you have to work backwards from the end of the story.

He was released on $40 bond to his mother pretty quickly.

My guess is, the father isn't blameless and the boy didn't intend to inflict such damage.

Or at least it appears mom isn't afraid of him.
Or mom is an enabler. I don't know if dad is "blameless" and hell yes, the punk DID inflict boo coo damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So the dad was 47 when his son was born? It seems to me that part of the problem with this family is that the parents had this child too late in life. The son probably hasn't respected his dad for a while (being so old, and also being weaker physically than his son).
Now that is quite the stretch. What is the "correct" age to father a child?

Son doesn't respect his father because of his age? And you don't know that dad is "physically weaker" than the future felon. A sucker punch is a sucker punch, you can fell a tall tree with a surprise attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am from a different era.

When I was a lad, the thought of raising my hand to an adult honestly never occurred to me. It was unthinkable. And to raise your hand to your father........? I could not imagine. I never even heard of such a thing.

Things are not "better" now. We do not have "more freedom".
Kids are taught to not respect their elders now. Many modern kids have no respect for anything.
Narcissism and histrionic PD are contagious and common disorders today. Not good, not good at all.

See below for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
You are most certainly so. There's this thug named "Boonk" and his posse are known as Boonk gang. What he is known for is "pulling stunts." However, these are not just stunts--they are criminal acts. For example, he'll steal a gold chain from someone and run off with it. Or he'll vandalize a car. Or worse yet, he assaults certain people. He actually assaulted someone's grandmother last year and caught it on camera. (he actually got arrested for some of these "stunts") All of this is captured on camera and is shown on his youtube video.

What makes this even worse is that he has a HUGE following on instagram and youtube...which means that there's a lot of people (presumably the youth) who either endorse this behavior or approve of this behavior. I'm a LITTLE BIT older than his demographic but my cousin and I are almost the same age and he endorses this behavior. My cousin even mimics Boonk's motto, "a whole lot of gang ****."
In the Bad Old Days, he'd have gotten 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Just as soon as I get home from the hospital , boy you are going on restrictions for 2 months.
Restriction? Out of the house. Order of protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
First, I hope the kid gets incarcerated for a very long time. How can they put him back in the home knowing he's capable of something so violent (and vile)?

Second, you're right. But different states have different laws. (Check emancipation laws for example)
I actually wanted to surrender my 14yr old (at the time) to the state and got chewed out royally and told I'd have to pay child support to the state (thinking back, that may have been a good deal for me). And on and on that lady read me the riot act until...... I meekly backed down and suggested a drug test, which she happily did. Once she saw he tested positive for THC and benzos she sang a different tune. She became much more helpful. (she was very pro-kid which was a good thing in her job)

Third, why would you take such a little ingrate out to dinner? Pffft. Hot Pockets till the day you move out buddy.

Now that he's in the juvenile system, there will be doors opened to the father to get help IF he sticks by his guns and doesn't back down from the little viper.
Amen.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:05 AM

973 posts, read 910,287 times
Mom should have left son in jail to let the severity of his actions set in. Mom's probably an enabler. If I raised a hand to either parent when I was young, I'd probably be 6ft deep in the ground.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:11 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,797,712 times
It's funny to me how everyone sees this through their own coke bottle lens of the world.

With almost no information. I'm serious, it's just curious to me.

I'll admit I'm quick to judge the dad - I wouldn't have taken a teenager out of a restaurant for a confrontation unless the kid was doing something like shouting the F word at me. A teen who sullenly sits on his cell phone would be dealt with more creatively, later. What was the dad planning to do with the boy, outside on the sidewalk? My guess is, not have a serious, civil discussion about family time. He was, in my estimation, either planning to loudly berate him or physically threaten him.

Secondly, when I look at the mother's actions, and the actions of the court, I see a kid who isn't dangerous.

And it's interesting to me to see that others see the child as completely at fault, and believe this should be the end of the father's responsibility for him.

Just interesting, is all. I don't think we'll have any follow up - none of the articles name them by name so there's no ability to search for updates.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,642,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so this man has raised the kid for 16 years, and now he is surprised that the kid is disrespectful? Not buying it.
If my kid even thought about defying me in a public place, I’d be sending him to the car to wait until everyone else was done, hopefully hungry. When this happens at the age of 3, it doesn’t ever happen again.
I know this because it happens in every family.
I'm not buying it either.

There's some kind of history there. Anger issues like that aren't triggered by one isolated incident.

That being said, physical response is simply not warranted unless in self-defense.
Do we know that wasn't the case here?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Mom should have left son in jail to let the severity of his actions set in. Mom's probably an enabler. If I raised a hand to either parent when I was young, I'd probably be 6ft deep in the ground.
But what is she enabling?
Is she enabling a child abusing a parent or is she enabling a child fighting back after some sort of prolonged abuse?

Again, we only have a very small piece of the overall story.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,971,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so this man has raised the kid for 16 years, and now he is surprised that the kid is disrespectful? Not buying it.
If my kid even thought about defying me in a public place, I’d be sending him to the car to wait until everyone else was done, hopefully hungry. When this happens at the age of 3, it doesn’t ever happen again.
I know this because it happens in every family.

Going by the link provided by OP, we don't know that this man raised the kid for 16 years. And we don't know how old the kid is...we only know he's a juvenile. I'm wondering if it's a step-dad/son situation.

63 seems kind of old to be raising a teenager. Or at least, it's not typical.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's funny to me how everyone sees this through their own coke bottle lens of the world.

With almost no information. I'm serious, it's just curious to me.

I'll admit I'm quick to judge the dad - I wouldn't have taken a teenager out of a restaurant for a confrontation unless the kid was doing something like shouting the F word at me. A teen who sullenly sits on his cell phone would be dealt with more creatively, later. What was the dad planning to do with the boy, outside on the sidewalk? My guess is, not have a serious, civil discussion about family time. He was, in my estimation, either planning to loudly berate him or physically threaten him.

Secondly, when I look at the mother's actions, and the actions of the court, I see a kid who isn't dangerous.

And it's interesting to me to see that others see the child as completely at fault, and believe this should be the end of the father's responsibility for him.

Just interesting, is all. I don't think we'll have any follow up - none of the articles name them by name so there's no ability to search for updates.
I'm wondering the same.

We probably won't ever get the full story, but given how low his bond was, self-defense is a definite possibility.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:56 AM

973 posts, read 910,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But what is she enabling?
Is she enabling a child abusing a parent or is she enabling a child fighting back after some sort of prolonged abuse?

Again, we only have a very small piece of the overall story.
Don't think a dad that abuses his son would bother taking his son out in public, especially for a meal. Seems like the son is well provided for. Got clothes, warm food, and a cell phone...

But yeah, not much in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events