Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 06:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sure, but young people often do stupid things. I am not going to judge.
You're right, but the strange thing about that is that plenty of young people also make it through their younger years without ever doing something so stupid. I always wonder what it is about the people who manage to not, and wind up like this guy - because age alone can't be it, we haven't all fallen victim to such ridiculous acts, nor have we all even attempted them and just got lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 08:44 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
From the sound of his condition, constant seizures, paralyzed from the neck down, cannot maintain constant temperature, 24 hour care, would this kid even want to live like this, if he were given the choice? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're right, but the strange thing about that is that plenty of young people also make it through their younger years without ever doing something so stupid. I always wonder what it is about the people who manage to not, and wind up like this guy - because age alone can't be it, we haven't all fallen victim to such ridiculous acts, nor have we all even attempted them and just got lucky.
To me, it's all ridiculous because I would never eat meat of any kind. People eat oysters which I find just as gross as eating a slug. And seafood can be contaminated and make people very ill, also. So the people criticizing this young man for eating a slug have probably eaten similar gross things.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:09 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Rodent lungworm is a problem in Florida and Hawaii, when people cook and eat giant snails.

'Alarming' rat lungworm parasite spreading through Florida, researchers warn | Fox News

Say no to escargot!!!!
I've never heard of people in Hawaii eating the giant African snails. Stomping on them, dropping them in salt, poisoning them--yes. Eating them? No way.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 AM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's Australia; the default assumption is that ALL the wildlife there is actively trying to kill you. Even the koalas are mean little bastards, and the kangaroos are suicidal and trying to jump in front of your car and cause a wreck.
Wombats are friendly and cuddly;

`

Old 03-09-2018, 05:18 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
From the sound of his condition, constant seizures, paralyzed from the neck down, cannot maintain constant temperature, 24 hour care, would this kid even want to live like this, if he were given the choice? I sure as hell wouldn't.
I agree. What is the point of keeping him alive if his care costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, he has to be monitored 24/7, and there's no chance of improvement? Who knows how many more years he'll have to linger on in this awful state of existence being fed through a tube?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:06 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Rodent lungworm is a problem in Florida and Hawaii, when people cook and eat giant snails.

'Alarming' rat lungworm parasite spreading through Florida, researchers warn | Fox News

Say no to escargot!!!!
I would think cooking them would solve the problem there. the USDA has spent tons of money trying to eradicate giant snails that people have brought in from outside the country, that end up getting established and wreaking havoc.

Quote:
Scientists consider the giant African snail, Lissachatina fulica, to be one of the most damaging snails in the world. It is known to eat at least 500 different types of plants, including breadfruit, cassava, cocoa, papaya, peanut, rubber, and most varieties of beans, peas, cucumbers, and melons. Believed to be originally from East Africa, L. fulica has established itself throughout the IndoPacific Basin, including the Hawaiian islands. This mollusk has also been introduced to the Caribbean islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe. Recently, L. fulica infestations were detected on Saint Lucia and Barbados. In 1966, a Miami, FL, boy smuggled three giant African snails into south Florida upon returning from a trip to Hawaii. His grandmother eventually released the snails into her garden. Seven years later, more than 18,000 snails had been found along with scores of eggs. The Florida State eradication program took 10 years at a cost of $1 million.

In September 2011, giant African snail was detected in Miami, Florida. APHIS, in partnership with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, is conducting a regulatory program to eradicate this invasive species.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...can_Snail_Home

Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Very sad.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
It sounds like the Australian version of "Hold my beer, watch this "
Unfortunately there are annual amounts of Darwin awards given out for feats of daring that people who thought that they were going to succeed at, but didn't.
Hopefully humanity learns from their mistakes.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
How can so many of you be so insensitive? Sure this kid did something dumb. But now his life is gone. And those who describe his life now and the cost of keeping him alive, who is going to make the decision to pull all the assistance and let him die? Is that your choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events