Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I like my chances coming up against a teenager with a baseball bat vs. an AR 15

Also, baseball bats have a clear, legal purpose, and owners of baseball bats are overwhelmingly likely to use them in a ball game. Those who have them are not typically creepy guys who've gone 'round the bend with perceived need for a weapon.
You missed the sarcasm in my post.

And my point is, making AR 15's illegal to own isn't going to stop killings or mass killings at schools or wherever. And making all guns illegal isn't going to fix the problem either. Machetes, knives and swords will also inflict a lot of damage. Especially when the victims aren't expecting an attack. Then factor in how long it takes for a police response and in the chaos, how long before the police figure out and get to the attack site. How many schools have security cameras all over their school buildings? Certainly not in the bathrooms.

BTW I do see some benefits in owning one for self defense and protection of property. These Korean store owners are my heroes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCiC6qTtjs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Heinous crimes have been happening since humans learned how to throw a rock. Humans have always had the capacity to do great harm to other humans & living creatures, there's just more of us today so it happens more often. We also have instant access to information from all over the planet. I'm not sure if the world is getting worse, or we're now more aware of what has always been happening.
I think you're mostly right. Stuff like this has been happening since one of our ancestors could pick up sticks and rocks. What really amuses me is how people seem to think we're so far above our ancestors. Everything that we have done is just wondow dressing. Inside we're still apes.

You can take the monkey out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the monkey.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I like my chances coming up against a teenager with a baseball bat vs. an AR 15

Also, baseball bats have a clear, legal purpose, and owners of baseball bats are overwhelmingly likely to use them in a ball game. Those who have them are not typically creepy guys who've gone 'round the bend with perceived need for a weapon.

AR15's also have a clear legal purpose where shooters of all ages both male and female use them for target practice and competitions all over the country. Others use AR15's to continue the skills they learned in the military. Others own them because they can and they enjoy the craftsmanship of a well designed tool.
There are very few gun owners out of the millions of law abiding people that have "gone round the bend".

The people that own guns are not "creepy" they just enjoy the sport of shooting just as you and others might enjoy baseball.

If the attacker had a gun he might have used that or a knife, a golf club, a brick, a car or his moms rolling pin.

The bat was easy, available and perfectly legal. Murder is not legal so what do we outlaw in this case?

Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
OMG, you are all crazy those of you who are comparing guns to baseball bats. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
OMG, you are all crazy those of you who are comparing guns to baseball bats. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?
They can both be used to kill people, but usually aren't. Seems rational to me.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
They can both be used to kill people, but usually aren't. Seems rational to me.
The purpose of an AR 15 is to kill other humans.

The purpose of a bat is to hit a ball and then run like hell to first base.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
All baseball bats must be locked up when not being actively used at a game. Only official baseball teams are allowed to own bats. And we need to make it illegal for anyone to own a baseball bat.
Baseball bats don't kill people; people kill people.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I blame baseball bats. People don't kill other people; baseball bats do. We need stricter baseball bat laws.
Where's a good Burmese python, when you need one?
"It wasn't me, officer; this python just went berserk!"

Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Maybe if the victim had CCW with a gun the Perp would of thought twice about beating him with a Bat
Great! Issue more guns to 14-year-old hormonally-driven boys!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
All baseball bats must be locked up when not being actively used at a game. Only official baseball teams are allowed to own bats. And we need to make it illegal for anyone to own a baseball bat.
Funny but not so funny.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
Basic laws on knives
It’s illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)
Scotland
In Scotland, 16 to 18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery and kitchen knives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
What are you talking about? We just need to pass a law against murder!
Even easier is post signs out in public here and there: MURDER FREE ZONE.

Next question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events