Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
How would you feel about letting bar/tavern owners decide whether to allow smoking in their establishment?
I know it wasn't directed towards me, but I think that needs to be the case for ALL businesses, not just bars.

I'm for freedom above all else, and if a business owner decides to allow smoking and you don't like it, don't go there. No different than going to a restaurant with bad food, you don't go back in the kitchen and tell the cook to make the food differently to suit you, you either don't order that again or stop going there.

Simple, show them your disapproval by not giving them your business. If it's truly a bad business decision and it's costing them customers and money, they'll have to either change their ways or go out of business.

There doesn't need to be legislation in place regarding smoking in a private business, it's a private matter that should be up to the owner of the business. And, as others have pointed out, smoking bans are often ignored, so I think what NYC is doing is laughable at best, and an attempt at a dystopian nanny state at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 05:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Can they add chewing gum to this law???
Puts me in mind of Singapore:

16 odd things that are illegal in Singapore - Business Insider

Old 03-26-2018, 05:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I know it wasn't directed towards me, but I think that needs to be the case for ALL businesses, not just bars.

I'm for freedom above all else, and if a business owner decides to allow smoking and you don't like it, don't go there. No different than going to a restaurant with bad food, you don't go back in the kitchen and tell the cook to make the food differently to suit you, you either don't order that again or stop going there.

Simple, show them your disapproval by not giving them your business. If it's truly a bad business decision and it's costing them customers and money, they'll have to either change their ways or go out of business.

There doesn't need to be legislation in place regarding smoking in a private business, it's a private matter that should be up to the owner of the business. And, as others have pointed out, smoking bans are often ignored, so I think what NYC is doing is laughable at best, and an attempt at a dystopian nanny state at worst.
Well look at this - common sense is still alive.

Just take care of your own problems and wah- lah.

Every time I go to a business and disapprove, I'll never say a word, I just go somewhere else and give Them my $

Old 03-26-2018, 07:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Just to be clear, the default state is air, not toxic hydrocarbons, and not burning things rather than burning stuff. You think its weird to legislate to preserve the natural, default state but you got some weird burning-toxic-plant-leaves & chemicals-indoors-hobby....

Upside down.

Just to be clear:

Like I said, control of others is the addiction of these people.

Sounds like the shoe fits.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post

Exactly. But, no, we have to legislate that the entire world makes the same choices we do. (See my post regarding the compromise that the Austin city council came up with, that the anti-smokers flat couldn't live with even though all it means was that they would have hundreds of venues to go to that didn't allow smoking while smokers had a few that did.)

Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
I thought all smokers became vapers now anyway!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:21 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Palo Alto, CA enacted a similar ban a few years ago.

https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/...ping-districts

Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Notice that none of the posters who are in favor of the sidewalk ban will answer my question about lifting the ban and permitting business owners to make the decision about what type of business they want to have.

The indoor ban has been in place awhile now. If it were lifted, most business owners would remain non-smoking, of course. But some of them would see it as an opportunity to become a smoker's refuge.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
What I don't want is people flicking their butts on the ground. Use an ashtray or stick them in your pocket until you get to a trashcan.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Notice that none of the posters who are in favor of the sidewalk ban will answer my question about lifting the ban and permitting business owners to make the decision about what type of business they want to have.

The indoor ban has been in place awhile now. If it were lifted, most business owners would remain non-smoking, of course. But some of them would see it as an opportunity to become a smoker's refuge.
While there is indoor ban on smoking in NYC, you can apply for a special permit. There are some places (bars/restaurants) where smoking is allowed, but they are very rare, since most people avoid them. Those places tend to be on the expensive side too, since their clientele is limited and they have to make it up with higher margins.
The easiest way around this is there are plenty of rooftop bars, clubs, lounges, and restaurants in NYC and you can smoke there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events