Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That doesn't guarantee there will be a Medicare bed available, and a facility can and must determine whether they have the ability to handle the patient's needs before acceptance.

My father-in-law was a strong and violent severe Alzheimer patient, and we had an extremely difficult time finding a Medicare bed that could handle a difficult patient.
Yes, and this woman needs special bariatric equipment including a bariatric bed and bariatric Hoyer lift which often needs to be rented. Nursing homes can accept or decline anyone as they choose. Quite often the only home Medicaid patients can find that have empty Medicaid certified beds are an hour or 2 from where the family lives. They are often quite bad, too.

Again though, it is not as easy as you think it is when the patient refuses to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
This...I have friends that are intelligent people, make very good money (100K+/year in areas where the median is 50K/year), live in nice, yet disgusting homes. Clothes and clutter EVERYWHERE, never a clean place to sit, trash overflowing the can, sinks overflowing with dirty dishes, floors and counters haven't been cleaned...ever. Of course, these are always the people that want to invite me over for dinner, and I get to make up excuses as to why I'm busy...always, lol. These people aren't necessarily hoarders, or anything on the obsessive scale of things, they just flat don't clean house, and see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Granted, I grew up in a house with a clean freak mother who was legitimately allergic to many forms of dust and seasonal things, yet I still often live like a single guy - I will occasionally let a pan go for a day or two in the sink, I used the kitchen counter last weekend as "what do I do with that junk" overflow while cleaning the storage room, or neglect cleaning things like the ceiling fans or heater ducts for a year (which I noticed a thick layer of dust bunnies on last night, lol) but even I get disgusted by people like that.

Though I also know that a lot of this kind of behavior is passed down. I've seen the house of the parents of several of these friends, and it's every bit as much of a nightmare as their kid's homes, if not more so. Some of them make me feel physically ill to even step foot inside the house.
It might surprise you to know my mother was a clean freak when younger. Things change when people age and get depressed and ill. My mother's house was not dirty, but it was dusty. It doesn't have to be a pig sty in order to have this happen. I never saw flies in her house, but it doesn't mean a stray fly or 2 wasn't in there. Again, you do not need swarms.

By the time you kill the fly with the fly swatter it could have laid 1000 eggs, and my mother was not fast enough to chase one around with a fly swatter.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Georgia.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM

601 posts, read 458,287 times
Quote:
This...I have friends that are intelligent people, make very good money (100K+/year in areas where the median is 50K/year), live in nice, yet disgusting homes. Clothes and clutter EVERYWHERE, never a clean place to sit, trash overflowing the can, sinks overflowing with dirty dishes, floors and counters haven't been cleaned...ever. Of course, these are always the people that want to invite me over for dinner, and I get to make up excuses as to why I'm busy...always, lol. These people aren't necessarily hoarders, or anything on the obsessive scale of things, they just flat don't clean house, and see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Have you ever told your friends, "I'm not coming over because your house isn't nearly clean enough for me to feel comfortable or eat a meal there"?

That sounds like a form of mental illness by definition, even if it's not strictly speaking in the DSM-5: Behavior patterns or personality traits that cause one to suffer (in this case by having a less fulfilling social life).

Old 03-26-2018, 03:01 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Have you ever told your friends, "I'm not coming over because your house isn't nearly clean enough for me to feel comfortable or eat a meal there"?

That sounds like a form of mental illness by definition, even if it's not strictly speaking in the DSM-5: Behavior patterns or personality traits that cause one to suffer (in this case by having a less fulfilling social life).
No. Ignoring the "people want to attach a disorder to everything now"....it's not their duty to live their lives by my standards. To me, it's no different than saying "until you start dressing in a suit and tie every day, you're not fit to be my friend". Or, "until you ditch that 20 year old paid off beater car, and buy a new car, I can't be seen with you".

If they're OK with living like that, who am I to tell them to change?

Old 03-26-2018, 03:42 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Georgia.
Yeah I'm sure this never happens in your area of NC, NYC or LA. Must be only a Southern thing, right?

Old 03-26-2018, 03:53 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
The other side of , "my 600 lb life", after all who pays for all the trips and procedures on that show? Since most people don't have that kind of money that is why Heavy people's needs are ignored. There are like a lot more people out there in this or similiar situations, that no one knows about.

By the way does any one know if this women was receiving a disability check?

Old 03-26-2018, 04:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:

Granted, I grew up in a house with a clean freak mother who was legitimately allergic to many forms of dust and seasonal things, yet I still often live like a single guy - I will occasionally let a pan go for a day or two in the sink, I used the kitchen counter last weekend as "what do I do with that junk" overflow while cleaning the storage room, or neglect cleaning things like the ceiling fans or heater ducts for a year (which I noticed a thick layer of dust bunnies on last night, lol) but even I get disgusted by people like that.

Though I also know that a lot of this kind of behavior is passed down. I've seen the house of the parents of several of these friends, and it's every bit as much of a nightmare as their kid's homes, if not more so. Some of them make me feel physically ill to even step foot inside the house.

One show on Undercover Boss was about a pest control company CEO who worked with employees going house to house. There was one mobile home they serviced every month for cockroaches. When you saw the condition of the house you just KNEW all they had to do was clean it up and the problem would be MUCH less severe. The kitchen was horrible. Dirty dishes and food piled all over, trash overflowing, you name it. In real life I've only ever seen a home like that one time. Kitchen same as above. They had babies in wet and 'full' diapers, running barefoot in just diapers, dirt on the floor and just ick. It was winter time too. I wouldn't even accept a cup of coffee there. Went there once and never again. Those people did lose their kids a couple of times.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 PM

601 posts, read 458,287 times
Quote:
No. Ignoring the "people want to attach a disorder to everything now"....it's not their duty to live their lives by my standards. To me, it's no different than saying "until you start dressing in a suit and tie every day, you're not fit to be my friend". Or, "until you ditch that 20 year old paid off beater car, and buy a new car, I can't be seen with you".

If they're OK with living like that, who am I to tell them to change?
Well, if they're more like acquaintances than friends, I understand minding your own business... but if you're always lying to them about why you won't spend time at their house, honesty might be something to try. Do they have a skewed perception about how most people/"normal" people react to those conditions? I'm guessing it's likely they would go into denial if given an honest assessment.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:46 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah I'm sure this never happens in your area of NC, NYC or LA. Must be only a Southern thing, right?
Oh it happens elsewhere. But there's a reason that the South has a reputation for crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events