Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 06:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think the alcohol actually complicates the case more. I expect some will argue that this was a DUI accident. Personally I don't by that. This was clearly cold blooded murder-suicide. The alcohol was to give her the courage to go through with it, IMHO.
The police have determined that the drive over the cliff was intentional. And, Jennifer had drugged the others with Benadryl which makes one really drowsy. I think, along with you, that the alcohol made her fatal drive easier for her to do.

I wonder if she might have still changed her mind at the last minute. Could have gone either way? We cannot know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 07:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
All of this makes me wonder what Devonte was really crying about when hugging that officer. I think either he was crying because he was distressed he was being forced by his mother to hug total strangers, or he was crying because he was being abused at home and he was hoping someone would save him.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
All of this makes me wonder what Devonte was really crying about when hugging that officer. I think either he was crying because he was distressed he was being forced by his mother to hug total strangers, or he was crying because he was being abused at home and he was hoping someone would save him.
He was crying because he was in an abusive home situation. The poor child was begging for food from the neighbors on a regular basis.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 PM

I have seen a post by Jennifer that refers to this. She stated that he confronted his fears and hugged the policeman. He was in distress over the whole thing though. I wish I knew where I saw the old post. I can't remember.

It sounded to me as if she bullied him into hugging the policeman.

What makes me saddest is that when friends and neighbors tried to alert authorities, the system failed. And the system is what gave the kids to those disturbed people to begin with.

Sickening. Tragic.

I suppose there might be some mental illness in Jennifer. I've heard almost nothing about Sarah. But nothing excuses this act. It is pure, cowardly evil.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:47 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I

I suppose there might be some mental illness in Jennifer.
High-functioning sociopath fits very well.

https://www.healthyplace.com/persona...ig-time-scary/

Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Is there a functional difference between evil and mental illness?

Probably a question for a thread of its own in the philosophy forum but I personally don't know where the line between those lies, and it's hard for me to remove the concept of evil from the equation when thinking about a parent who abuses and then kills their children.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:01 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Of the four people who have had toxicology tests, one was drunk and three were drugged. It seems like Jennifer is the family annihilator, preferring to murder the family rather than accept that they would very likely thrive after she was exposed as an abusive parent.

"A woman who drove off a Northern California cliff last month in an SUV carrying her wife and children was drunk, authorities said Friday.

Toxicology tests found Jennifer Hart had an alcohol level of 0.102, said California Patrol Capt. Bruce Carpenter. California drivers are considered drunk with a level of 0.08 or higher.

SUV cliff crash that killed family may have been intentional
Toxicology tests also found that her wife Sarah Hart and two of their children had "a significant amount" of an ingredient commonly found in the allergy drug Benadryl, which can make people sleepy. Toxicology results for a third child killed are still pending, Carpenter said."

Police say woman who drove SUV with family inside off California cliff was drunk | CBC News

Old 04-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is there a functional difference between evil and mental illness?

Probably a question for a thread of its own in the philosophy forum but I personally don't know where the line between those lies, and it's hard for me to remove the concept of evil from the equation when thinking about a parent who abuses and then kills their children.
Perhaps we could think of it like this? Jennifer (possibly) had mental illness, but her actions were evil. Of course a lot of symptoms are now classed as mental illness. I do not think we can deny that her actions were evil.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Of the four people who have had toxicology tests, one was drunk and three were drugged. It seems like Jennifer is the family annihilator, preferring to murder the family rather than accept that they would very likely thrive after she was exposed as an abusive parent.

"A woman who drove off a Northern California cliff last month in an SUV carrying her wife and children was drunk, authorities said Friday.

Toxicology tests found Jennifer Hart had an alcohol level of 0.102, said California Patrol Capt. Bruce Carpenter. California drivers are considered drunk with a level of 0.08 or higher.

SUV cliff crash that killed family may have been intentional
Toxicology tests also found that her wife Sarah Hart and two of their children had "a significant amount" of an ingredient commonly found in the allergy drug Benadryl, which can make people sleepy. Toxicology results for a third child killed are still pending, Carpenter said."

Police say woman who drove SUV with family inside off California cliff was drunk | CBC News
That assumes Sarah was not complicit. She could have been equally responsible for making this decision, then drugging the children and herself, to be less aware of her own impending but intended death Not sure we'll ever know but given her own past history of being a perpetrator of child abuse, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to me.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:39 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That assumes Sarah was not complicit. She could have been equally responsible for making this decision, then drugging the children and herself, to be less aware of her own impending but intended death Not sure we'll ever know but given her own past history of being a perpetrator of child abuse, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to me.
I actually do think it's quite possible that they planned this together, that they chose suicide over the shame of losing the children. Perhaps the goal was to kill the children to keep them silent. Suicide might have looked better than murder trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events