Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I had similar thoughts when the photo of the hug hit the internets -- wondered whether it was actually the boy's idea. Knowing more about this family now, I doubt that it was.
I don’t believe it either. A quote from the adoptive ‘mother’:

Devonte was wearing his ‘Free Hugs’ sign that he travels the country with. He’s hugged thousands, sharing his love for all. There is a long story behind the emotion and why this moment was so special for Devonte. Thank you for enabling everyone to live this moment again through your video.

This quote was from a video of him crying and hugging a different man who was shirtless at a festival.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a young boy giving hugs. But thousands of hugs to strangers? Yet this same young child and his siblings couldn’t even come out to play on a house with acres of land? Why are they (or him) on display, yet at their home they are barely seen? The neighbors barely saw them.

If the children were as rambunctious and ‘challenging’ as I’ve seen some people paint them in other comments, why wouldn’t they play outside? Usually when there are a bunch of children, the parents let them burn off steam with each other for hours. Even if to get an ear break from squabbling. They didn’t live in Manhattan, where playing outdoors would be dangerous.

I wonder if Devonte had the ability to tell his abuser he had enough hugging for the day. She obviously had an agenda to promote. Whenever you see him hugging grown men he’s in tears. Sure, he may be a sensitive young man who is emotional for any number of reasons. To me, that sounds like he need his space protected, not shared out to strangers, unless that was his choice. And now we will never know.

I hope all of the children are at peace. Something that most likely eluded them most of their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
One reason that home-school parents are so frequently subjected to dubious charges by CPS/DHS workers, is because bringing such accusations, is how they make it seem they are performing well in their jobs. Sometimes, students in public schools, are targeted and declared as abused or as being faulty themselves, in order to serve similar bogus purposes, by administrators.

To claim that someone under your supervision is faulty or sick or is being abused, when in fact, they are not, is a definition of Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy. This disorder is mostly associated with parents, but school administrators or case-workers may also be carrying-out a version of it. They victimize young people, in order to deceive people into thinking they are doing their jobs. Those with this disorder often victimize or accuse parents or children, who have no fault at all. They are the most self-centered and uncaring people, using their power over others, to serve their own pathetic interests and egos.

I had long-term personal experience with people who had this disorder and was told some shocking stories, many years later, by co-workers of them, who had tried, with little success, to expose and have them removed from their positions. It's much more common than most people could imagine.
Good post. As you say or imply, there have been many examples of of gung-ho' behavior by those who wish to big-note themselves. Abuse of authority is something not too many people recognize or discuss but it's very common and oftentimes dangerous. I recall here in Australia a number of years ago where a child was reported to the authorities for being under-nourished. It turns out that this child had some sort of eating disorder that was in no way attributed to neglect by the parents. This did not stop a social worker beating at the parent's door to remove the child from their custody. The parents refused to allow the woman entry and the police were called. A burly cop finished up smashing the door down to get to the child leaving the parents devastated. This was all caught on film and presented on TV's A Current Affair. Disgusting behavior by the authorities who were most certainly abusing their authority. But, at the end of the day the social worker and the cop were really little more than marionettes attached to the strings of 'the system' that keeps them employed.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:20 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Does anybody else notice some similarities in these pictures?

OK, if there wasn't enough similarities between the Harts and the Turpins in that last picture, how about this one? This matching T-shirt thing is pretty weird IMHO.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 AM

603 posts, read 445,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Neighbors and others who call CPS can't win in these cases. They're either "jumping to conclusions," or, when something seriously bad does happen, they're blamed for not saying something.
Exactly!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
One of them was convicted of child abuse, there is additional evidence of child abuse/neglect right to the end, and now six children are dead. Something went terribly wrong here. Adopting hard to place children out to abusive people is not a solution.
Wrong. There is a possibility of child abuse but no conclusive evidence. I didn't read or hear that one of the moms was convicted of anything. Before we speak ill of the dead (remember, the parents are dead too), there should be airtight evidence to back it up. The police believe all six kids might have been in the car but they haven't found the other three. So don't say they were abusive when they may not have been.

As for the kids bumming food, they could have done it for simple reason; the neighbors had tastier food. Adopted kids often have mental illness. Being abandoned by one's biological parents is a bitter pill to swallow, and the biological parents usually have big problems which lead to them giving the children up in the first place.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wrong. There is a possibility of child abuse but no conclusive evidence. I didn't read or hear that one of the moms was convicted of anything. Before we speak ill of the dead (remember, the parents are dead too), there should be airtight evidence to back it up. The police believe all six kids might have been in the car but they haven't found the other three. So don't say they were abusive when they may not have been.

As for the kids bumming food, they could have done it for simple reason; the neighbors had tastier food. Adopted kids often have mental illness. Being abandoned by one's biological parents is a bitter pill to swallow, and the biological parents usually have big problems which lead to them giving the children up in the first place.
The child might have also had food insecurity from early trauma. There are multiple books on how to deal with this because it can become a huge issue. Food hoarding, lying to get extra food, stealing food at school and other places, hitting up the neighbors for food, binge eating, night eating, anorexia, etc. I had a foster daughter who hoarded food (bugs!) and would lie about not getting breakfast to get a free one at school. Luckily the school knew a bit about the situation and didn't call social services.

This might not be the case here...but it also might be. I am not betting either way.

As for the t-shirts...let it go. Go to a rally, Disney world, festivals, parks where people are having family reunions and you will see this is a COMMON practice. The "thing 1, 2, 3" etc was pretty popular a bit ago. In fact, it was a common Halloween costume a couple years back.

The kids in the Hart family looked happy, unique in hair, unique in style and healthy...age appropriately healthy.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:50 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Ditto. Crazy me, I'm going to assume something isn't right.
And just in case there is abuse the child is confiding to me about, I'm not going to call the parents to alert them that the child's been "tattling" on them. What happens to the child then...road trip in the SUV?

How hard is one spanking a 6 y.o. to be charged with, AND found guilty of domestic assault?

Old 03-31-2018, 09:34 AM

423 posts, read 288,755 times
The phrase Virtue Signaling comes to mind.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,640 times
Sure the phrase would come to mind if my child had no food and walked out in the night to look for food at the neighbors house, or I had been to court trying to defend myself against domestic abuse, but was found guilty anyway... then I would feel Pius and assume that everybody does those things, and cover up by saying I hated it--- but otherwise no, virtue signaling never comes to mind in these cases unless Ive read a lot of Reddit.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 AM

423 posts, read 288,755 times
I mean the women's actions with the kids on social media, demonstrations, etc., and now this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events