Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 11:19 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wrong. There is a possibility of child abuse but no conclusive evidence. I didn't read or hear that one of the moms was convicted of anything. Before we speak ill of the dead (remember, the parents are dead too), there should be airtight evidence to back it up. The police believe all six kids might have been in the car but they haven't found the other three. So don't say they were abusive when they may not have been.
The one who went off the cliff was convicted of beating one of the children in 2011. I'm going to go ahead and call that child abuse.

While I agree that there's no direct evidence at this time that going over the cliff was intentional, the amount of circumstantial evidence is pretty strong.

It's kind of hard to imagine how anyone could take a dive off the cliff from that turnout on accident.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-31-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:13 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
They can't find 3 of the kids. I wonder if they were part of the group traveling in the car. Common sense would lead one to assume they were. But what if they stayed back? What if they stayed home, then ran away? I supposed the parents wouldn't have allowed that option. But if I were the police investigating the case, and looking for the kids, I wouldn't assume anything.

So sad, either way, on many levels. Possibly, someday in the future, one of those kids' bodies will wash up on the shore somewhere. Ugh. And why were they homeschooled, btw? Were the parents religious? Were the local public schools deemed not good enough? What was the "official" reason, I wonder.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:38 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wrong. There is a possibility of child abuse but no conclusive evidence. I didn't read or hear that one of the moms was convicted of anything. Before we speak ill of the dead (remember, the parents are dead too), there should be airtight evidence to back it up. The police believe all six kids might have been in the car but they haven't found the other three. So don't say they were abusive when they may not have been.

As for the kids bumming food, they could have done it for simple reason; the neighbors had tastier food. Adopted kids often have mental illness. Being abandoned by one's biological parents is a bitter pill to swallow, and the biological parents usually have big problems which lead to them giving the children up in the first place.
Wrong, she was convicted. Convicted means there was conclusive evidence to convict her in a court of law. In this country we go by what the courts rule, not by personal opinions of people like you. She was a convicted child abuser. That is a fact, not a possibility.

Quote:
What they didn’t know is that Sarah Hart was convicted in 2011 of domestic assault. One of their children showed up to school with bruises. Sarah admitted to spanking her and pleaded guilty.

Last week in Washington state, the Harts’ new neighbors called the Department of Child Services. They say one of the children came over starving, begging for food.
Onetime Minn. Family Involved In Deadly Plunge From Calif. Cliff « WCCO _ CBS Minnesota

Old 03-31-2018, 01:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Wrong, she was convicted. Convicted means there was conclusive evidence to convict her in a court of law. In this country we go by what the courts rule, not by personal opinions of people like you. She was a convicted child abuser. That is a fact, not a possibility.

Onetime Minn. Family Involved In Deadly Plunge From Calif. Cliff « WCCO _ CBS Minnesota
They didn't take the kid. It was 7 years ago. She took a plea and admitted she had gone over board while spanking. She got a year probation.

Seems like a pretty big distance between murder/suicide and having lost her temper while spanking and went overboard.

That's like saying a man who got probation for shoving his wife 7 years ago is obviously guilty of her murder. Its enough to give pause. Its not "proof".

Old 03-31-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They didn't take the kid. It was 7 years ago. She took a plea and admitted she had gone over board while spanking. She got a year probation.

Seems like a pretty big distance between murder/suicide and having lost her temper while spanking and went overboard.

That's like saying a man who got probation for shoving his wife 7 years ago is obviously guilty of her murder. Its enough to give pause. Its not "proof".
She was convicted of child abuse. A conviction is proof, according to the law. Then they moved across the country and started homeschooling, so school teachers wouldn't be able to report the child abuse. Finally the children started approaching neighbours and asking for help to stop the child abuse. The neighbors reported the child abuse, and CPS showed up to investigate. But before they could make contact with the child abusers, they took off and drove to California and drove off a cliff.

How much more evidence do you need?

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 03-31-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
She was convicted of child abuse. Then they moved across the country and started homeschooling, so school teachers wouldn't be able to report the child abuse. Finally the children started approaching neighbours and asking for help to stop the child abuse. The neighbors reported the child abuse, The CPS showed up to investigate. But before they could make contact with the child abusers, they took off and drove to California and drove off a cliff.

How much more evidence do you need
?
more then that.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
more then that.
If that is not enough, then no amount would be.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
She was convicted of child abuse. A conviction is proof, according to the law. Then they moved across the country and started homeschooling, so school teachers wouldn't be able to report the child abuse. Finally the children started approaching neighbours and asking for help to stop the child abuse. The neighbors reported the child abuse, and CPS showed up to investigate. But before they could make contact with the child abusers, they took off and drove to California and drove off a cliff.

How much more evidence do you need?
I have a feeling that even if the black box findings reveal that it couldn't have been an accident, there will be those who will insist otherwise. These two will probably end up having a small post mortem day in the sun as folk heroes for the fringe of the homeschooling crowd. Everything will end up being some complex conspiracy...

I'm pretty sure the cops haven't ruled out the possibility of the three other children being somewhere else, but they also can't rule out the probability that they were in the vehicle. They haven't surfaced by now, and these kids had a history of going to others for help. It's likely that they would have asked someone for help by now if they were out there somewhere.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:

It's a false equivalency to compare shoving an adult to hitting a child. The six-year old that was beaten had bruises all over her back and stomach. That's not just a spanking that got a little out of control. That's a beating. Beating a kid hard enough in the stomach to cause bruises can severely damage internal organs. The kids should have been taken away at that time, but unfortunately, hard to place children are often left in these situations.

To me, the conviction doesn't definitively "prove" that she intentionally went over the cliff -- it's just one more piece in a pretty strong picture of circumstantial evidence that makes me think she probably did.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:11 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I REALLY don't get why people would adopt so many kids only to treat them poorly or worse.
M O N E Y

Someone else posted what foster parents said...$1K a month? It is a lucrative business for some. That's a fair amount of extra spending cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events