Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, ours does. Never mind that the actual legal punishments are weak and ineffectual.
They don't even follow through with them all the time.

The consequences are next to nothing and the cops drop them off at the ER all the time with "outstanding warrants" that may or may not ever be carried through.

They tell me (the cops do) that it's so ridiculously common that a lot of the DA's are like, "Whatever."
Same with speeders. Or home break-ins. Some say they don't make it much of a point to respond promptly to house alarms, either.
I talk to a lot of cops, sheriff's deps, etc.
Same story everywhere.
Well I dont agree. I have seen people lose their jobs just because of a single DUI. Thats my deterrent lol

They have road blocks in the area I live as well. Im just not going to risk it for a drink. For me and many people I work with the repercussions are enough to prevent it for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:29 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
I am a firm believer that murder by intoxicated, or drug impaired, individuals should be a capital punishment offense

Old 04-01-2018, 06:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am a firm believer that murder by intoxicated, or drug impaired, individuals should be a capital punishment offense
I would tend to agree with you on that, but the problem is the damage is already done... someone is disabled for life or dead.
So how about this.....

1st offense DUI, 1 year in jail. No probation, work release, diversion, or anything else but jail time.

2nd offense DUI, 5 years in prison. No parole or early release.

3rd offense DUI, 10 years in prison, same as #2.

If any injuries or deaths occurred as a result of #1, #2, or #3, then charges would be filed as if the driver had used a weapon (as a moving vehicle actually is). Assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, murder/manslaughter.

The point is, putting them in jail (where they belong IMO) makes certain that they cannot get behind the wheel drunk again.... at least as long as they're incarcerated.

Oh yeah, for a 4th offense, I wouldn't oppose a life sentence.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm all for life in prison.

And I don't care what anyone thinks. Anyone who knowingly gets behind the wheel of a car drunk obviously doesn't have any regard for their own life or anyone else, so I won't have any regard for theirs.

I am so sick and tired of reading these stories that are 100% preventable, if the POS would just have a DD or get an Uber / Lyft. There's absolutely no reason or excuse to drive drunk, especially given the fact that most of the people who get behind the wheel a) have a smartphone and b) process enough funds to cover a car sharing ride.

And obviously our society is tolerant of it, or we wouldn't see stories of repeat offenders, some approaching double digit DUIs / DWIs.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I would tend to agree with you on that, but the problem is the damage is already done... someone is disabled for life or dead.
So how about this.....

1st offense DUI, 1 year in jail. No probation, work release, diversion, or anything else but jail time.

2nd offense DUI, 5 years in prison. No parole or early release.

3rd offense DUI, 10 years in prison, same as #2.

If any injuries or deaths occurred as a result of #1, #2, or #3, then charges would be filed as if the driver had used a weapon (as a moving vehicle actually is). Assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, murder/manslaughter.

The point is, putting them in jail (where they belong IMO) makes certain that they cannot get behind the wheel drunk again.... at least as long as they're incarcerated.

Oh yeah, for a 4th offense, I wouldn't oppose a life sentence.
I would agree with 1st offense, but after that a lethal injection since they didn't learn anything

Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Compared to DUI deaths, just under 10,000 year now, mass shooting deaths are minimal, yet we are calling for all sorts of restrictions on magazine capacity, types of weapons owned, if a person is mentally able to have a firearm, etc.. Why aren't we calling for these restrictions for alcohol, or even owning a vehicle if one is suffering from an alcohol addiction. Where are the calls for factory installed breathalyzers, maybe small sniffer devices built into vehicles?
Aside from the silly idea that restrictions are meant to respond only to mass 'shootings' (they're not - DUI deaths of others are a subset of the ~10k DUI deaths annually, compared to over 11k homicides, so stop trying to pass off the idea that intoxicated drivers kill more other people than do people with firearms), you're trying to insist that we can only take on 'the worst' problem at once. Of course, that's not so. We don't have to focus only on the cancer that kills the most people, or the infectious disease that kills more than others, or the most lethal workplace hazard. We can walk and chew gum at the same time, and there is an ongoing effort to deter driving while under the influence just as there is an ongoing effort to deter shooting people.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'm all for life in prison.

And I don't care what anyone thinks. Anyone who knowingly gets behind the wheel of a car drunk obviously doesn't have any regard for their own life or anyone else, so I won't have any regard for theirs.

The problem with life is they always get out

Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And once again, the drunk driver survives, while their victims do not, having died horrible deaths and leaving behind a grieving family.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bani-du...s-teens-crash/
Time to ban automobiles.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
We can walk and chew gum at the same time,
Walking and smoking may soon be illegal in NYC.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:52 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How about targeting access? Its what they did when opioid prescription drugs started becoming dangerous, they were quick to target access first and foremost, make it harder to get for those that are going to abuse it.

Its strange that everyone pretty much agrees alcohol prohibition didnt work, and they all just chalk up events like this to accidents that happen (no one to blame), but when it comes to prescription drugs, its entirely different, they want to go after the manufacturer, even restrict peoples access who take them as they should, so a pill prohibition is fine, even though it never worked for alcohol..??
Prescription drugs are not a mainstream thing that most adult americans indulge in for fun. You simply can't say that we should treat them the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events