Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I ate a cupcake when I was overweight.

I ate a cupcake when I was in the process of losing weight.

I ate a cupcake at my current, healthy weight.

You don't know anything about that fat girl.
I agree. Cupcakes. Ice cream. These are foods that make life just a bit better. Does not mean the woman ate several in a day despite buying that amount. No reason she does not belong in the shop because she may not bw thin.

The average person is slightly overweight, especially when in middle age. The average person is not ripped, hitting spin classes daily and measuring food portions obsessively. Most are too busy working and living thier lives to live that way. Plus it sucks not being able to enjoy life and worry all the time. There should be some moderation but this woman should not be judged by being in the shop. I think some of us are as angry as those mean patrons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I question people spending that much on Girl Scout cookies too but refrain from judgement. Only they know if it’s foolish for them.

My husband once spent $200 on Girl Scout cookies. He was troop Cookie Dad and our troop came in first place in the region that year. He bought them and donated them to the local domestic violence shelter for the kids school lunches.
Not terribly foolish.
LOL, he's better than me. We bought 8 boxes of girl scout cookies to help our daughter out and because we like them. I have girl scout cookies to last me half the year and it's all mm mm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I ate a cupcake when I was overweight.

I ate a cupcake when I was in the process of losing weight.

I ate a cupcake at my current, healthy weight.

You don't know anything about that fat girl.

LOL, I've eaten those types of desserts en route to losing 70 lbs. I still do. Life's too short.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. Cupcakes. Ice cream. These are foods that make life just a bit better. Does not mean the woman ate several in a day despite buying that amount. No reason she does not belong in the shop because she may not bw thin.

The average person is slightly overweight, especially when in middle age. The average person is not ripped, hitting spin classes daily and measuring food portions obsessively. Most are too busy working and living thier lives to live that way. Plus it sucks not being able to enjoy life and worry all the time. There should be some moderation but this woman should not be judged by being in the shop. I think some of us are as angry as those mean patrons.
People love to judge based on appearances, don't they. I've experienced that first hand. When I was obese, if I purchased dessert items or anything other than lettuce and carrots, I'd get the stink eye. I'm lean and fit now and no one gives a crap what I buy or eat. I go to the yogurt shop and get a nice big cup of custard with oreos and fudge and not a single person cares. It's a shame really. And for those who wonder, no I don't have a super metabolism. I gain weight like anyone else. I just balance the good with the bad and follow the "80/20" rule of eating. And, yeah, I do work out.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:05 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You know how there always seems to be a thread or two about bullies here on CD? And how people talk about how to not be a 'victim'? This is a prime example of someone who did just that, she didn't allow herself to become a victim, instead she turned the tables on people who actually were being stupid, and mean. She didn't spend her money to be a jerk, she spent it to thwart the bullies behind her and to feel good about herself. If that works for her more power to her, and I feel like there were probably many people in her life who benefited from all those extra cupcakes she bought!
She isn't a victim of anything.

She CHOSE to be upset and angry at what the women said. She CHOSE to take it personally and internalize it. And she CHOSE to spend money on cupcakes.

I take it back. She is a victim. A victim of her own stupidity.

The only person who makes you a victim is YOU.

The reason people get upset when they are *insulted* is because they believe the insult is true, which then makes them feel bad about themselves because someone is reinforcing something they know is true. You can only be a victim if you believe what the bully says is true. If you think the bully is full of crap, the words will not affect you.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I never understood the cupcake trend when they've been around forever.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

The reason people get upset when they are *insulted* is because they believe the insult is true, which then makes them feel bad about themselves because someone is reinforcing something they know is true. You can only be a victim if you believe what the bully says is true. If you think the bully is full of crap, the words will not affect you.
It doesn't make it any less bullying if the victim knows she's overweight (or whatever she's being targeted for). I don't see the point in justifying boorish behavior just because it's "true." Many victims of bullies are developmentally disabled, and I don't think that particular truth or the fact that those targeted are aware of their differences makes it right.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:20 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
This is such a typically American story.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Cut off the nose to spite the face. Seriously who benefited? The shop. Sad that person's will pay for their behavior and statements only to find out they lost sensibility in the process.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The story is probably not even true.
That's silly.

Quote:
Everything on the Internet is True. -- Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-05-2018, 06:33 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
This is such a typically American story.
That's right in Britain they would have called them fairy cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events