Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:35 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Do people really expect the GPS to have to say "when traffic is clear ..." before each instruction it gives?

I'm sorry for this family, but it's not the GPS' fault. There is some level of common sense that has to come into play. You don't break traffic laws, and you proceed when it's safe to do so.
Some people must expect this

I just saw a blow up plastic beach ball that had one complete panel covered with warnings in 6 languages.

Everything from "This ball can burst" to "Do not use as life preserver"

What's this world coming to? Maybe Burned themself with scalding coffee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 03:32 PM

764 posts, read 94,652 times
I have driven in England and Australia quite a bit, and it was very disorienting to drive on the opposite side of the road from what I was used to, with a car that had the controls, including the stick-shift on the opposite side. I’m sure that it would be just as disorienting for someone from England to drive here. Then, throw in the difference in road structure (Brits use roundabouts), and the very heavy traffic in tourist areas of the USA.

I don’t ever rely on GPS. I was once guided to a large retaining wall where a street and businesses were supposed to be.

At any rate, this is sad news, a family on holiday, just wiped out.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric johns View Post
I have driven in England and Australia quite a bit, and it was very disorienting to drive on the opposite side of the road from what I was used to, with a car that had the controls, including the stick-shift on the opposite side. I’m sure that it would be just as disorienting for someone from England to drive here. Then, throw in the difference in road structure (Brits use roundabouts), and the very heavy traffic in tourist areas of the USA.

I don’t ever rely on GPS. I was once guided to a large retaining wall where a street and businesses were supposed to be.

At any rate, this is sad news, a family on holiday, just wiped out.
And on top of all that, we don't use international road signs like they have in Europe & the UK. But at least there wasn't much of a language barrier.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
There is something to be said about an old fashioned map.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:51 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
No chance pulling out in front of a pickup as they have horrific avoidance ability. Very sad story of course. Maybe it just couldn't be avoided even if the driver was driving a good car. Pickups are crazy dangerous.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
There is something to be said about an old fashioned map.
Why? It's not like a physical map would have told them to yield to oncoming traffic.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Could you share an example because this sounds good?
Going thru an area in Raleigh where there are parking lots next to the road I have been directed back and forth from the through street to the parking lots in order to get the shortest route.
Going south on I 95 past Fayetteville there are multiple I-95 on and off ramp roadways and my Google GPS will switch us from one to another due to a shorter route. I know these spots and ignore directions from the ghost in the machine. I'm sure snowbirds have been distracted or even possibly wrecked there.
CBS this morning featured a shortcut in San Francisco included in Waze routing which is a narrow two way road, that is even steeper than the famed Lombard Street, a narrow one way down hill road full of tourists. This alternate route is the scene of a reported 4 accidents a day. Waze responded, "Hey, It's a public road. Tough it out."

Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If they are all dead, how does anyone know what happened in the car?
I thought the same.....

Old 04-06-2018, 05:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I thought the same.....
Because the directions were given by the GPS, not one of the people who died in the car.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
recalculating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events