Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Am I the only one who is skeptical about this information? Embalming fluid is kept at the morgue. Actually, I'm not even sure if it is kept at the morgue. Isn't it normally only kept at funeral homes where bodies are being prepared for burial? Saline is stored all over the hospital. I think there is more to the story than what we're reading.
So this is an interesting question (as is the one about packaging) and would lead to skepticism naturally. I asked the same question. Then I remembered something that happened close to 20 years ago at a children's hospital (no one was hurt).
Where a new nurse was supposed to administer this oral solution (which clearly came in a jug) and figured out a way to set it up to run through an IV.
It was like, WTF?!!!! I mean, it's a freakin' jug of stuff...why would you think it would run in an iv when everything else comes from the pharmacy in, I dunno, a bottle or bag?
But there you have it.
And this was in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I’ve never heard of the epidural one. What poison did they put in it?

I can't find the details now, but if my memory serves it happened in New Jersey about 10-15 years ago, and according to the article it happens once in a while despite strict precautions. A man went into a hospital for a routine procedure and was given an epidural. But the nurse immediately realized he (male nurse) had given the man the wrong medication and that the man would die in a few minutes in agony, and nothing could be done about it. The family was rushed in to say good-bye. Needless to say, that's a pretty haunting story.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:17 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ru...formalin-drip/

Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Thanks for bringing factual information into this thread....

Old 04-11-2018, 03:29 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times

I don't know about "mostly false". The young woman died as a result of a pretty egregious medical error, with an unknown nurse or other hospital employee washing an IV tube with poison by accident. Whether or not she was "embalmed alive", she's still dead.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
On 9 April 2018, a number of tabloid-like news reports suggested that a Russian woman had been “embalmed alive” after doctors mistakenly administered formalin intravenously instead of saline:
Once again, the UK's Daily Fail leads C-D readers astray. I'll never understand why that source is so popular here.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I don't know about "mostly false". The young woman died as a result of a pretty egregious medical error, with an unknown nurse or other hospital employee washing an IV tube with poison by accident. Whether or not she was "embalmed alive", she's still dead.
Good point. "Somewhat false" is kind of like "a little bit dead", in cases like this.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:39 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I can't find the details now, but if my memory serves it happened in New Jersey about 10-15 years ago, and according to the article it happens once in a while despite strict precautions. A man went into a hospital for a routine procedure and was given an epidural. But the nurse immediately realized he (male nurse) had given the man the wrong medication and that the man would die in a few minutes in agony, and nothing could be done about it. The family was rushed in to say good-bye. Needless to say, that's a pretty haunting story.
Absolutely horrific. (If you could find an article about it please share the link.)

I just saw this:

Hospital errors lead to "dead" patient opening eyes during organ harvesting

Quote:
Patient Colleen S. Burns was reportedly admitted into St. Joseph's emergency department in 2009 after overdosing on Xanax, Benadryl and a muscle relaxant. Hospital notes obtained by the Post-Standard revealed that the doctors thought she had undergone "cardiac death." After doctors consulted with the family, they agreed to withdraw life support and donate her organs.
What actually happened was that Burns was in a deep coma from her overdose, and did not have irreversible brain damage.
The Health Department discovered that the staff did not perform a recommended treatment to stop the drugs from being absorbed into her stomach and intestines, did not test to see if she was free of all drugs and did not complete enough brain scans. They also did not wait long enough before recommending the patient was taken off life support.
In addition, her doctors did not pay attention to a nurse's notes which stated that Burns was not brain dead and in fact was getting better. A nurse performing a routine reflex test had discovered that Burns' toes had curled downward after the bottom of her foot was touched.
Despite all the signs that Burns was still alive and had brain function, a nurse injected her with a sedative and failed to note it on the chart.
Even when she was being prepped outside the operating room for organ harvesting, her nostrils flared, and she could breathe independently from the respirator. She was also moving her lips and tongue. But, it was only when Burns was actually in the operating room and had opened her eyes that doctors called off the procedure.

Lucille Kuss, Burns' mother........ added that her daughter was so depressed that the incident did not "make any difference to her." Burns committed suicide in January 2011.
There is a scary eagerness to harvest organs in hospital ERs.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:26 AM

911 posts, read 262,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994
Dont listen to a woerd SNOPES says... Its run by idiots who think THEY ARE THE ONLY 1s WITH THE RIGHT ANSWER!!!

Old 04-12-2018, 12:55 AM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Dont listen to a woerd SNOPES says... Its run by idiots who think THEY ARE THE ONLY 1s WITH THE RIGHT ANSWER!!!
Snopes does an excellent job, and they always list the sources where their research is done from.
On this particular article.
Quote:
Fact Checker: Kim LaCapria
Published:10 April 2018
Updated:11 April 2018
Sources: Bever, Lindsey. “Her Surgery Was Supposed To Be Routine. Instead, This Russian Woman Was ‘Embalmed Alive.'”
Washington Post. 9 April 2018.
Jackson, Ashleigh. “Woman ‘Embalmed Alive’ After Tragic Hospital Mix-Up.”
WSMV. 10 April 2018.
Martin, Andrew. “Despite Risk, Embalmers Still Embrace Preservativ.”
New York Times. 20 July 2011.
Park-Mustacchio, Jenn. “I’ve Been An Embalmer For 14 Years And See My Share Of Bodies. Any Questions?.”
The Guardian. 24 October 2013.
Stewart, Will. “Russian Woman, 27, Dies In Agony After She Was ’Embalmed Alive’ Instead Of Being Put On Saline Drip In Hospital Blunder.”
The Sun. 8 April 2018.
Stewart, Will and Danyal Hussain. “Russian Woman, 27, Dies In Excruciating Agony After She Was ‘Embalmed Alive’ With A Formaldehyde-Based Drip Instead Of Being Put On Saline In A Horrific Medical Blunder.”
Daily Mail. 8 April 2018.
Wilde, Caleb. “My Thoughts On That Russian Woman Who Was ‘Embalmed’ Alive.”
Confessions Of A Funeral Director. 9 April 2018.
RT. “Смертельная халатность: как жительница Ульяновска умерла в больнице от введённого по ошибке формалина.”
7 April 2018.
TACC. “В Москве скончалась женщина, которой в больнице Ульяновска по ошибке ввели формалин.”
5 April 2018.
73Online.ru. “Страшная трагедия в МСЧ. Женщине после операции влили формалин вместо физраствора.”
19 March 2018.
73Online.ru. “Мама отравленной формалином Кати Федяевой: Это не ошибка, а преступление!.”
24 March 2018.
73Online.ru. “Екатерина Федяева умерла….”
5 April 2018.
KidsHealth.org.nz. “Drips (Intravenous Fluids Or Iv).”
Accessed 10 April 2018.
Microbiology Alliance. “Formaldehyde Fixatives.”
Accessed 10 April 2018.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ru...formalin-drip/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events