Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Why people post everything about their lives on there for anyone to get their hands on is beyond me. .
My profile is set to private. That means the general public can't access it. But I also don't post much except for pictures, the occasional joke, or links to interesting articles. It's not like I put my financial information and bank statements on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM

32 posts, read 50,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
accounts? If so, what is your preferred social media platform? Facebook is getting old and disgusting.
I did. And other than this site and Linkedin, I don't go online for anything but research or general news. I'm online now around an hour a day MAX.

I deleted my Facebook months ago and you know what? It's awesome. I feel so much better. I'm in better shape, I'm healthier, I'm more active, and I'm happier. I would never go down that rabbit hole again.
NOW I HAVE FRIENDS *REAL* friends!

I LOVE MY LIFE NOW. I'll never fall into that trap again unless I'm an invalid and there is NO OTHER OPTION.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What's social about CD?
C-D is far more similar to Craigslist 'Rants & Raves' than Facebook. Social media is based on a user's identity. C-D and Craigslist R&R are based on made up profiles we create. That is the real difference.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:54 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
+1. If it's about old-style, long-form, persistent discussion, it's not "social media" unless you consider handwritten letters to be such.

If it's Short! Quick! Real Purty! Begs You To Play With Big Puppy Eyes! The Darling Of The Media! Fun! Amusing! and Exchanges Have The Lifespan Of An Argument Between Two Drunks!... it's social media.

And if you can't tell the difference... get help.
I am elated to see someone else post who clearly understands the difference between social media and old style messageboards and forums.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
"Are you joining 10 million+ americans closing their facebook"

Nope, because I am one of the millions of smart Americans that never signed up to spread my private/personal information around the world for all to steal. I cannot understand how anyone wants to do that.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:46 PM

323 posts, read 221,782 times
Well I try deleting it but it would not stay deleted! I read they dont officially delete it for a few weeks or days in case you want to return??

Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
You may be using a very broad definition of social media. The C-D format pre-dates social media. C-D is just a messageboard.

so·cial me·di·a
noun
noun: social media; plural noun: social medias
  1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

--------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Us folks over 40 will probably keep it because we are use to it and our friends and family know we use it
but I think under 40 will leave if not already left and use the hipper social media sites. Facebook is old news.
Exactly. It's very old news.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No, but everyone has already "migrated" to insatgram and snapchat.

No one uses facebook anymore beside posting memes and joining groups. Instagram is so much smoother and easier to use.

It's sad that Zuckerberg or whoever would think cluttering up facebook would make it better. You log on and it's just a bombardment of crap everywhere trying to grab your attention.
have you noticed yet what instagram has done to the comments section? ugh...i hate it so much it is seriously killing my vibe there.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Not closing it, but I barely use Facebook these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events