Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Not a chance of deleting my account right now. I LOVE seeing pics of my friends, their kids, their events, things they're going to and sharing, their vacations, great local places to hike, cute videos about funny puppies, etc.

I could never be so connected to friends and acquaintances and extended family without facebook, and I check in every day.
Same here. I have family all over the country as well as in NY State, and I like to keep up with what everyone is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:55 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And yet, *here* you are.

Being an anonymous member of a public forum is no where near the same realm as being on Facebook or other social media sites that display your full identity, pictures, family members and your life.

Nice try though

Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Facebook is very helpful for things like animal rescue which is the reason I have an account in the first place. It's not in my real name (and neither is Twitter or Instagram) and I don't provide any information as to where I live, my actual birth date, where I went to school, etc. I'm also careful to limit what I post to things that aren't personally identifying (e.g., pictures of the garden). I mostly use Twitter to tweet about TV shows with people who are watching.

I'm not planning on deleting any of my accounts.

I think social media has a place but people should use some common sense in what they post and how much time they're spending on it.

Last edited by Rowan123; 04-11-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
I'll stay but I will only post and share to those I want as I always have. Did people really believe that everything was safe and secure on this free site?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
I'd close it down if I didn't have 8 years worth of photos, etc, on there. I would have to spend a week transferring them to another device just so I wont lose them. But Zuckerberg and his liberal lunacy is quickly wearing me thin. I hope his empire crumbles.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'd close it down if I didn't have 8 years worth of photos, etc, on there. I would have to spend a week transferring them to another device just so I wont lose them. But Zuckerberg and his liberal lunacy is quickly wearing me thin. I hope his empire crumbles.
Liberal? Trump is the one who benefitted from facebook’s and Zuckerberg’s perfidies.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I like facebook --so there! Nothing is on my FB page that I'm ashamed of and we know they share information. Mostly I just post to family and close friends. I WANT to see the kids' birthday party pictures. I WANT to stay in the group for the town I just moved away from--I still miss it. I WANT to see my cousin's latest nature photography--she's very talented.

I WANT to connect with new relatives on genealogy groups and maybe solve an ancestor mystery or two through them. I WANT to sell stuff on facebook pages. When I need beautiful music, my favorite classical music group has its own page I can go to.

Funny, but I don't seem to get any of those political posts or nasty stuff that people are whining about. I enjoy it and plan on keeping it.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:32 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Being an anonymous member of a public forum is no where near the same realm as being on Facebook or other social media sites that display your full identity, pictures, family members and your life.

Nice try though
OTOH some of us never put all that info out there on FB and yet we still manage to make use of it to keep up with friends and family. I don't care for all the things FB does, suggesting friends, etc. but if it's an intrusive cesspool I put the blame for much of it on people who decided it was some sort of weird popularity contest where having as many 'friends' as possible seems like the ultimate goal.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Facebook - DnD and raves. Some people I know I only have contact via Facebook. Don't care about posts except to troll.
Twitter - It's all in Japanese, some Korean, and very little Chinese. It's basically the bread and butter in Asia and I need it to talk to people there. よろしくお願いします!
Line - Mostly just some friends I have in Japan. Cute stickers.
Telegram - My messaging service for a very large chunk of my friends in America and Europe. Cute stickers.
Discord - A select few groups, heavy for western world people playing Japanese music games (SDVX, GC, etc.)

I don't think too hard about it, they serve a purpose. My phone is plugged in nearly 24/7 so I couldn't care less about battery life. I don't get roped into whatever causes people to get depressed. It's mostly just a means of communication for me, secondary event consolidation.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:02 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I like Facebook. I, on purpose, do not have more than 10 "Friends" which are family and a couple others. I also don't Follow a lot of FB pages, that way I don't clutter up my newsfeed with a lot of junk I don't want.

I enjoy it because I connect with family members and enjoy a couple of FB pages. So far I haven't got the notice that I've been hacked or info sold, coz I have nothing worth selling. That may be my saving grace, that I use it limitedly.

I don't get when people expose all their person life on line there, they put specific personal info, THAT is a good way for some bad person to make trouble for you, coz the people give it all away for free.

Also, some people think since they have 10,000 Friends, that they are more popular than the average person.. Not true. Just because that many people "like" you means nothing in the real world. Probably only 5 of them are friends in real life. Some people try to collect "Friends".. but that is stupid.. coz to win some kind of popularity contest, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events