Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
We aren't talking about the type of bra one wears but the fact they are wearing one. I would think braless would fall under professionalism.

And there is modesty and flamboyant. If one is braless and its not obvious and distracting fine. OTOH if your braless and its obviously showing that's different. And we are talking about teenagers here.

I think the work place is the same. I have gone to work braless before wearing a tank under a big hoodie. If I had just been wearing the tank top it puts an entirely different spin on the situation.

It would be great if breasts were not sexualized and people could go about topless and no one even noticed but we are not there yet.
Well said. And it’s been my point this entire thread: if you don’t want to wear a bra, fine. No one is going to notice nor pay attention if dressed modestly.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Maybe you haven't read the article or gone to their web page, but they are emphatically not saying there should be no dress code or rules. What they are saying is that the established dress code and rules are unreasonable and unequally applied to girsl but not boys.

I praise them for doing the right thing and organizing their opposition to rules they consider (and I agree) to be ridiculous.

Why do you think there is something wrong with young people forming opinions on the issues that affect their lives and trying to change the things they disagree with?
You know, there are also certain clothing items that boys are typically not allowed to wear that girls can. Lots of schools forbid boys from wearing tank tops to class. Girls on the other hand...

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Maybe you haven't read the article or gone to their web page, but they are emphatically not saying there should be no dress code or rules. What they are saying is that the established dress code and rules are unreasonable and unequally applied to girsl but not boys.

I praise them for doing the right thing and organizing their opposition to rules they consider (and I agree) to be ridiculous.

Why do you think there is something wrong with young people forming opinions on the issues that affect their lives and trying to change the things they disagree with?

I did read the article and I certainly agree students should have a voice. I did not read where the students went to the administrators or school board with their issue but to social media. I don't know if schools still have a student counsel but in my day they had student meetings with a counsel who would represent the students. If the student had an issue there was face to face discussions.

And these statement tell me it goes beyond the scope of the school dress code:
“Moreover, we claim the right not to wear brassières and respect when we do not wear them.”

" We launched the movement to fight the culture of rape and hypersexualization,” Uhde tells Yahoo Lifestyle, in an email translated from French. “We want the equality of men and women both in our treatment and how the world views our bodies,”

Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And who's going to enforce this? With all the stress public schools are under, now they're going to have to hire someone to weigh and measure each student to determine which ones are suitable to make their own clothing choices and which ones will need to have mandatory undergarments? That's not PC, that's ridiculous.
It would be enforced like any other law is enforced. No, you don't search people and their property and scrutinize their every move to see if they are toeing the line. It only becomes an issue when breaking the rule is clear and obvious to all.

A girl has no bra on but is wearing a T-shirt and hoodie? No one can tell, no one cares. A girl comes to school in nothing but a tank top with free viewing for all from front and side? That's a violation.

The assumption is that all students are wearing underwear unless they make a point of showing everyone that they are not. Sorry if that doesn't seem fair. It seems fair to me. It's not about the letter of the law, it's about respecting the spirit of the law, which is that one's chest (and other private parts) be adequately covered. (No--I don't want to see male chests at school either).

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You know, there are also certain clothing items that boys are typically not allowed to wear that girls can. Lots of schools forbid boys from wearing tank tops to class. Girls on the other hand...
And hats. At least in my area boys are not permitted to wear hat in class. There would probably be a stink if boys wore make up or dresses or even kilts.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Yeah, the girls are right.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
When you make acknowledging healthy male sexuality and how they handle it contingent upon girls wearing bras....

Yeah, that is rape culture talk.

The fact that you don’t want it to be is irrelevant.
Well here's the thing. We all know that teen boys are easily aroused. But do you really think that they are going to talk about this new aspect of their maturing body with their fathers or any close adult in their lives? And all the talking in the world isn't going to prevent them from being aroused and then getting "blue balls" of frustration or later on, masturbating.

So why not have a dress code of modesty for both girls and boys while during class time on the school grounds? I'm all for men treating women with respect at all times, but I don't think it fair for a women to dress like a hooker and be a c*cktease. I've known and witnesses a lot of women who took great pleasure in playing up their sexuality in order to get as much male attention as possible. And it's what happens when a woman feels that it's her only source of power and skill. And unfortunately, there will always be a significant percentage of women who think that way. I see it a lot in women from a machismo culture like in the Hispanic and black communities... where the men want to come across as very manly and physically strong and the women focus on the sexy to attract them.

We will never have a society where everyone on is 100% focused on academic achievement and inner worth. Humans are extremely visual creatures and how a person looks and acts will be how they are judged by the average person on the street. And the majority of all males will always pick a mate based on physical attraction.

And there will always be non-consensual sex. The best we can do is try to make sure that every young person has an adult mentor or role model who can help them form a good moral compass. For the boys, then do need to know that no means no. And that maybe is probably a no said nicely. And the girls need to learn not to send mixed signals or to mistake sexual interest as an offer of a platonic friendship. But factoring parties and alcohol/drugs, ego, insecurities and hormones, there will always be misunderstandings and regrets in regards to sexual encounters.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:20 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So why not have a dress code of modesty for both girls and boys while during class time on the school grounds? I'm all for men treating women with respect at all times, but I don't think it fair for a women to dress like a hooker and be a c*cktease. I've known and witnesses a lot of women who took great pleasure in playing up their sexuality in order to get as much male attention as possible. And it's what happens when a woman feels that it's her only source of power and skill. And unfortunately, there will always be a significant percentage of women who think that way. I see it a lot in women from a machismo culture like in the Hispanic and black communities... where the men want to come across as very manly and physically strong and the women focus on the sexy to attract them.
You're conflating not wearing a bra under regular clothing with dressing like a sex worker for attention. It's not the same thing.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Plenty of schools forbid girls from wearing tank tops as well, or any shirts where their shoulders are showing.

And in some cases, boys are allowed to wear tank tops but girls are the ones who are forbidden from showing those evil and sexual provocative shoulders.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Plenty of schools forbid girls from wearing tank tops as well, or any shirts where their shoulders are showing.

And in some cases, boys are allowed to wear tank tops but girls are the ones who are forbidden from showing those evil and sexual provocative shoulders.
That's where dress codes become unfair, in my opinion. I believe it's fine for dress codes to take into account the differences between male and female bodies, but everyone has shoulders (knees, etc.)

My daughter's school doesn't allow tank tops on anyone, and shorts must be within a certain length of the knee, again for everyone. No one can wear leggings, not that boys would, but they couldn't even if they wanted to.

A rule that someone else here mentioned--that boys can't wear hats, but girls apparently can--is also unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events