Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sure, they're sealed but you can buy them in the store, open them up and eat them. In the store. Many people do that, every day.
It's one thing to be in a small convenience store like 7-11 and start to eat the hot dog while in line, but come on... a Target? In any of those large department stores with clothing, furniture, toys and all that, it's really uncool to be eating while browsing those aisles. I certainly don't want traces of food on new items I and thinking of buying. It's just very inconsiderate and uncouth.

And just because there isn't a posted sign telling people not to eat in the store, doesn't mean that it's okay to do so. Do we really need to become a total nanny state?

Old 04-12-2018, 04:07 PM

581 posts, read 456,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
1. He would be leaving crumbs and yes, possible traces of peanut butter that could affect those with a peanut allergy.
People can leave crumbs anywhere though. Restaurants, playgrounds, park benches, trains, buses, movie theaters, food courts etc. Are people supposed to stop eating in all public places because someone might come along an hour later who has a peanut allergy? At what point does it become absurd? I see parents opening a bag of chips or candy so their kid has something to snack on in the store all the time. If the kid isn't making a mess, I don't think it's a big deal.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:27 PM

911 posts, read 262,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine
It's a good thing all these snowflake parents weren't alive during the Spartan days, when defective kids got tossed off cliffs. I wonder what tomorrow's outrage will be?
Yes totally bloody insane!!

Tommorows complaint: IM MAD I CANT OPEN THIS UNTIL I PAID!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't think a kid eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a store is at much risk of killing anyone, but it is just bizarre to be using a large department store as a picnic site. I can't even imagine feeding my kid lunch while shopping for clothing, or whatever mom was looking for in Target.

Kids get fed at home, or in the car if you can't make it home, or stop at a park.

I guess on the plus side for mom, she hadn't bought the kid a big bucket of fried chicken to munch on while being pushed around the store so there was some room for that family's behavior to be even worse.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:23 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
My only problem with the PB sandwich is that it is messy. In that context, it shouldn't be eaten in a store, but I'm fine with less messy snacks and eating peanuts in public.

I often find the 'no peanuts' crowd annoying. I'm willing to make some accommodations. IMO, they overreach and try to control everyone else.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
A local grocery store chain gives free fresh cookies from the Bakery to children who come into the store. I've seen other grocery stores do pieces of free fresh fruit for children, presumably to eat while in the store. I realize that a regular grocery store is a bit different to a Target (as Target has clothes, linens, etc) but still...

My middle son always chooses a Peanut Butter cookie. Most children (including mine) will eat their cookie while sitting in the cart while shopping at the local chain. Nobody has ever batted an eyelid about that, even about the Peanut Butter cookies.

It sounds like people are making a mountain out of a molehill, even in the day and age of a higher prevalence of allergies.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I remember that when I was very young and accompanying my mom to the store, she would buy me a box of Animal Crackers, the kind in the box that looked like a circus car, to eat while we were shopping. Having a snack while shopping didn't seem like a big deal and didn't make me spoiled or fat.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My take on it is that all the Targets I know have a fast food restaurant like Subway inside by the front entrance. The mom should have taken her kid there to eat his peanut butter sandwich. Otherwise, yes it is unacceptable that he would be eating it anywhere else in the store.

1. He would be leaving crumbs and yes, possible traces of peanut butter that could affect those with a peanut allergy.

2. Inside a store is really not clean enough to be eating anything, let alone sandwich which is held with bare hands.

3. I really hate parents who can't say no to their kids or tell them to wait to eat or do anything (except needing to go to the bathroom). If it was mealtime, then the whole family should be eating at a regular mealtime. So why isn't the mom joining her kid in eating her own sandwich? Why couldn't they eat in their car if they didn't want to sit at the restaurant? And if we are talking afternoon snack, then her kid is a fatty waiting to happen. Kids need to learn discipline and patience. And there is nothing wrong with feeling pangs of hunger. It's just the body saying that it's getting time to eat again, but nothing bad is going to happen if the meal doesn't happen right away. It's okay to ignore hunger pangs. It's all about mind over matter.

No wonder humans have a tendency to obesity.
This is spot on in every respect.

The fact that it's become normal to give in to every hunger pang and to eat wherever and whenever we want is EXACTLY why we have so much obesity.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The fact that it's become normal to give in to every hunger pang and to eat wherever and whenever we want is EXACTLY why we have so much obesity.
No, that's not why. People do not become obese from eating when they are hungry. They become obese by eating when they're NOT hungry.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think a kid eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a store is at much risk of killing anyone, but it is just bizarre to be using a large department store as a picnic site. I can't even imagine feeding my kid lunch while shopping for clothing, or whatever mom was looking for in Target.

Kids get fed at home, or in the car if you can't make it home, or stop at a park.
I agree with this. Allergies aside, why is walking around a store an appropriate time to give your kid lunch? Or, why is it appropriate to teach the kid they can eat wherever whenever? Kids should learn boundaries and acceptable and reasonable behavior. How many adults walk around the store with a sandwich?

Are you so dang busy that you can't actually eat a meal with your kid and then go shopping? It bugs me to see people pick a package off the shelf, rip it open, and let their child munch during the whole shopping trip before paying for the thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events