U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:58 PM

25,373 posts, read 24,151,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The 911 transcripts make it clear Plush never told the 911 operator he was in the rear of the vehicle, and he never told the operator he was suffocating.
He literally said, "I don't have much time left. This is not a joke. I may be dying. I am trapped inside a gold Odyssey van. Tell my mom I love her if I die."

Call it a reach but I'd be just crazy enough to decide that meant he could be...dying. Suffocating specifically? Well, no. You got me there, ha ha! Good one, good call.

Quote:
The kid never gave the dispatcher his exact location and didn't state the exact nature of his emergency. The police were able to narrow it down to 5 parking lots, but only searched one, and they were expecting to see someone in the driver's seat or front passenger seat with a medical emergency. [/color]
1. See bolded above. 2. "I am TRAPPED INSIDE A GOLD ODYSSEY VAN." That could have been a clue what to glance at in passing even just that one parking lot. Or before giving up after only 11 minutes. And to check out the GOLD ODYSSEY VAN(S) (could there be more than one or two? Maaaaaaabye three? In that geographical area?) for more than just where they "expected" (???) he must be trapped. Because he wasn't clear enough. Why wasn't he clear enough? Because he was terrified, felt he might be dying and HE wasn't the one supposedly trained in calmly handling emergencies and knowing exactly how to communicate the issue. But I'm sure it's rare for cops to be educated on how the average person reacts in an emergency and how blurry details can be in that circumstance, so...you're right. Pass. We're good.

Quote:
Even if the police had walked through all 5 parking lots, the kid would have been a vegetable, if not already dead, so there's no way this story was ever going to have a happy ending.
Thanks for the info, doctor. Now cops know never to go looking for someone who might be suffocating (wait, I thought you said they DIDN'T know he might be suffocating) and losing oxygen to the brain, if it will take more than 2-4 minutes to get there. Whew. That really opens up some time for them not to solve a bunch of other potentially fatal emergencies.

BTW. "Walked" through? For someone who literally said he might be dying? They couldn't drive through it, looking for a big metal splotch of gold with wheels? And like, stop there, take a quick peek inside the windows, see if there's anybody dying in there?

Really now. Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 08:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 22,446,360 times
This is the most up to date information I could find. Apparently there was a glitch in the 911 dispatch system. The officers didn’t get Kyle’s entire message. He tried to tell them where he was as best he could.

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/m.../16/284693.htm

Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 AM

12,921 posts, read 6,472,361 times
This story was just heartbreaking, especially because it was so preventable.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,965,225 times
911 systems in lot of city's run on 1980's technology they don't tie into cell phone networks well enough. If someone calls from 911 the cell provider network should be required to transmit the exact location by GPS I figured that was already done. It should be required in every phone without anyway to shut it off.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 780,696 times
Hopefully they will start updating the 911 system; this tragedy never needed to happen. There should be lawsuits; I still don't understand how a vehicle was manufactured and sold that could kill a person who leaned too far over one of the seats. Or how, when a boy calls 911 twice as he is dying and tells them where he is and that his condition is desperate, they manage not to look very hard, not to ask the right questions to the terrified boy, and somehow lose the call due to a 'glitch' (but the call is retrieved later, or its information, too late to do any good?)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or