U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM

6,857 posts, read 2,652,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Here's more information

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...eat/510292002/

That's dangerous that the seats can just flip like that. Were they not locked into place properly, or is that just how the van was designed?
The article states a later model of that van was recalled because the seats accidentally fall forward. I wonder if that older van also had that problem.

It seems likely someone was parked behind him, so he couldn't easily access the back hatch to retrieve his tennis equipment. And that he just put his weight on the front part of the back seat to reach back into the cargo area and the seat flipped.

So sad. I wonder what info the second dispatcher withheld that led to her being suspended from her job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM

21,063 posts, read 15,354,989 times
I don't even understand how this could happen. I'm guessing he was somehow pinned between the floor and the bottom of the seat, compressing his chest? I'm fairly muscular and it is hard to even fit my arm under the seat to get something out.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 AM

His obituary:

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/ohi...plush/3482676/

Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM

8,090 posts, read 3,915,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't even understand how this could happen. I'm guessing he was somehow pinned between the floor and the bottom of the seat, compressing his chest? I'm fairly muscular and it is hard to even fit my arm under the seat to get something out.
I didn't notice it at first, but at the very top of the link in the first post has a video that illustrates how it apparently happened.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 AM

3,748 posts, read 2,929,159 times
This breaks my heart. I have a 15 year old son and I can't even imagine...

An article in The Daily Mail stated that over 700,000 vans had been recalled because of the seat issue.

That poor family. So sorry for their loss.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:19 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,149,033 times
Absolutely horrible. I can't even imagine.

I'm not going to fault a teenager who is being asphyxiated for not thinking with a completely clear mind, but it's such an incredible shame that he wasn't able to be more specific in his first call. "I'm in a gold Honda Odyssey minivan, license plate XYZ-123, at Seven Hills School, in the west parking lot, near the driveway." Maybe, if he had been able to do this, maybe he could have been found and saved.

But like I said, I am NOT casting blame on him. Few people would have been able to be so self-composed in such a dire situation.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Absolutely horrible. I can't even imagine.

I'm not going to fault a teenager who is being asphyxiated for not thinking with a completely clear mind, but it's such an incredible shame that he wasn't able to be more specific in his first call. "I'm in a gold Honda Odyssey minivan, license plate XYZ-123, at Seven Hills School, in the west parking lot, near the driveway." Maybe, if he had been able to do this, maybe he could have been found and saved.

But like I said, I am NOT casting blame on him. Few people would have been able to be so self-composed in such a dire situation.
He did say what parking lot, and apparently they couldn't understand him, presumedly because he couldn't breathe and he was shouting from the back of the van.

The officer did locate the van, also. Sad that the officer didn't see him in there, likely because the windows are tinted and he wasn't expecting him to be in the back.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 AM

7,162 posts, read 7,604,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Here's more information

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...eat/510292002/

That's dangerous that the seats can just flip like that. Were they not locked into place properly, or is that just how the van was designed?
IMO you're asking a lot of a 14yr old car. I dont expect a random 16yr old to understand that he was leaning on 14yr old mechanisms but I dont agree with anyone blaming Honda over this. The fact remains, this kid was leaning on the seat in a way not conducive to the design. It's horrible that he died but this accident happened as a result of his own carelessness. The fact that he died because of the accident is on the 911 operators to answer to.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 AM

792 posts, read 326,847 times
As a mother, this absolutely breaks my heart!

You tell your children to not go anywhere with strangers, look both ways berfore you cross the street etc. Nothing prepares you for this. I saw the illustration and I thought how often has someone done that and nothing bad happened? How often have my kids done his? Sometimes the most innocent things you do can turn deadly.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM

1,830 posts, read 783,491 times
Wow, that's truly horrific. I know I have done that exact same thing, you don't think of this happening.
I'm impressed he was able to make a call using siri even though he wasn't able to get to his phone. I can't say I would think to do that in his situation. I don't think I even have my Siri activated to respond to my voice.

He did the best he could to get help. Heartbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or