U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 02:58 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,769,834 times

Advertisements

Just incase no one read it.

An operator repeatedly asked Plush where he was but the teen could not hear the dispatcher and wasn't able to answer the operator's questions, police said.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/know-trapp...opstories.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM

6,414 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Sad story, freak accident, no one should be sued.
There is definitely a case for a lawsuit here and the parents can pursue legal action if they want to.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The younger people are too overly reliant on technology, thinking it will save them..
So he shouldn't have called 911? Because that's using technology - making a phone call. And you're totally wrong. Lots of people dial cell phones in emergencies and it does save their lives. Every day! As for your comment about "the younger people"....just how OLD are you anyway? Phones have been around, like, forever. What you did and how you handled things back in the early 1900s is totally irrelevant now.

Quote:
When I was in elementary school, we used to practice for emergencies at home. That was before the 9-1-1 system existed, and you had to call either the operator, or your local police or emergency services and tell them very clearly your name, address and the nature of the emergency. We practiced that from Kindergarten all the way through 6th Grade and had to memorize the telephone numbers.
Um, okay. But we have 911 now and that's what you dial in emergencies.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 PM

11,017 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My 14 year old son is sort of like that where his motor skills aren't the same as 14 year olds of past gen. I blame that on smartphones and kids being less active these days. I grew up playing sports, helping my parents fixing things and driving at an early age. Kids these days aren't interested in handling equipment because too much safety and overly protective parents. Few go out to play ball and very few are interested in fixing things or doing crafts around the house. Even fewer today are interested in fixing cars or having a car when their parents drive them around including using Uber. We're conditioning our kids to become less handy and more dependent on parents for everything. Fortunately I have a younger son who loves to help me around the house and do things like using a drill or hammer and he's only 12. He has much better motor skills than the older brother. I'm sure if they're both stuck in a minivan only one could get out.
What are you even going on about? This has nothing to do with electronics, driving age, or any of your other rants. And considering the kid was a tennis player, it sounds like he was active.

Knowing how to use a drill or a hammer would not have saved this kid.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:02 PM

11,017 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
...you had to call either the operator, or your local police or emergency services and tell them very clearly your name, address and the nature of the emergency. We practiced that from Kindergarten all the way through 6th Grade and had to memorize the telephone numbers.
And if you were being slowly crushed to death, barely able to breathe, I doubt you would be able to clearly and calmly have a conversation with a phone operator.

Also, where was the phone? Was it up in the front seat? In his pants pocket? I doubt he was holding it up to his ear, so you're also expecting this kid to carry on a conversation with someone he can barely hear, or maybe can't even hear while not even knowing of they're on the phone.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM

14,963 posts, read 8,529,518 times
I absolutely agree that this is going to be a huge lawsuit unless Honda agrees to settle. Sadly, sometimes it takes a freak accident like this to show the dangers that lurk in our everyday lives. They're most definitely going to have to recall and fix those seats so this never happens again. Honda did have a recall for the Odyssey but it was for the second row seats, not the last third row (there were 46 reported injuries from the second row of seats falling forward).

This link has a video which shows how it happened.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/mon...all/510074002/

Quote:
The Enquirer tested the description of Plush’s action to grab his gear and found that when the seat latch is secured, the seat did not move.

But when the latch was not secured, a reporter kneeling on the bench seat and reaching into the rear well was able with little effort to rock the seat backward. That motion of the heavy metal-framed seat can sandwich a person upside down, pinned between the back of the bench seat and the jamb of the rear door.

When Plush became trapped, he voice-activated the Siri function of his iPhone, which was out of his reach, to make two 911 calls asking for help, predicting his death and expressing love for his mother.
Horrible.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:09 PM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
There are dozens of parking lots in Seven Hills, not only are there parking lots off of Seven Hills Drive, which is a thoroughfare through the community and could easily be misconstrued by the dispatcher and police, there's the very large parking lot at Seven Hills Plaza, not to mention the strip malls along US 127/Hamilton Avenue and all of the businesses along Waycross Road.
I grew up in Cincinnati--you're talking about the complete wrong part of town. Seven Hills is a private school off of Red Bank in Madisonville. The 911 call would have been directed to the City of Cincinnati police, and he said "Seven Hills Hillsdale" which is the campus where he was. Maybe the 911 dispatcher didn't know specifics, but that plus his GPS should have gotten them close.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:15 PM

6,707 posts, read 2,608,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I absolutely agree that this is going to be a huge lawsuit unless Honda agrees to settle. Sadly, sometimes it takes a freak accident like this to show the dangers that lurk in our everyday lives. They're most definitely going to have to recall and fix those seats so this never happens again. Honda did have a recall for the Odyssey but it was for the second row seats, not the last third row (there were 46 reported injuries from the second row of seats falling forward).

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/mon...all/510074002/

Horrible.
That makes a lot of sense. That maybe the seat had been pushed forward recently, and when it was put back in place was not secured and locked in the upright position.

So I wonder. Once the seat is pulled forward, as what happened when he kneeled on the seat, does it come forward and lock that way, and require the release of another button or lever to put it back upright?

Old 04-13-2018, 05:32 PM

2,537 posts, read 849,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

omg. poor kid

Old 04-13-2018, 06:15 PM

8,305 posts, read 8,577,591 times
Even if the van is old, there is a product liability lawsuit against Honda for manufacturing seats with a design defect. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or