Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Having to leave work ?? Really?
To save a child I think that would not have been an issue .
Yes, most parents work. Since this happened during the day, there is a good chance the parents would have been at work if he was somehow able to reach his phone and call them. Unless you work next door, or at your children's school, its doubtful that you would make it to the school sooner than the local police department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:58 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, most parents work. Since this happened during the day, there is a good chance the parents would have been at work if he was somehow able to reach his phone and call them. Unless you work next door, or at your children's school, its doubtful that you would make it to the school sooner than the local police department.
You do know the police NEVER made it there until the dad found him dead that evening right ???

How would you know whether the parent's house or work would be closer to him ???

Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
^He called 911 using voice command. Doesn't seem like calling his parents was even an option.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
You do know the police NEVER made it there until the dad found him dead that evening right ???
Well they were there before, they just failed at the job they were supposed to do. Almost any other time, the response time by the police is going to be faster then most other people.

Even if he was able to call his parents (which he wasn't), I'm sure they would have said something about calling 911 as well. Its what people do in Ann emergency situation.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:44 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Well they were there before, they just failed at the job they were supposed to do. Almost any other time, the response time by the police is going to be faster then most other people.

Even if he was able to call his parents (which he wasn't), I'm sure they would have said something about calling 911 as well. Its what people do in Ann emergency situation.
I think some people just need to find a reason why it could never happen to them. Blaming the victims decisions allows this.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
*Update*
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...rom=new-cookie

Old 05-14-2018, 11:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Apparently the police never got out of their cars when searching for the kid

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/oh...ice/index.html

Old 05-14-2018, 12:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Oh, God, that's horrible!

I have no gripes with police as people and we love our local force in my town BUT I can say 911 can be weird. And no, they don't automatically just come.

Here's what went down for us not long ago. Sorry it's so seriously long but it's an illustration of how something like this boy's tragedy can certainly happen, because no, when you call 911 it isn't necessarily like they show in the commercials, where as you call they're already dispatching or anything. But even if they do...like apparently in this story, they kept driving around but just didn't find them...and it's on someone else to keep calling and following up...but that can be impossible in the boy's case, and it's not something most people likely know, IMO. Usually - you think: Oh, emergency, I call 911, out they come and all is well. Not necessarily.

TLDR: 911 made me make multiple phone calls to various places before anyone actually came out, while MIL was on the floor having hit her head hard enough that she wasn't making sense and had a kind of "fading" voice. Good times. Ties into how even emergencies can be overlooked, unless there's an advocate in charge of his/her senses to keep pushing for an ambulance/fire dept. plus follow up each step of the way, which this boy was unable to do. I hope I have all my facts straight in the right order as some of this is a blur, I was panicked by the end of it all, but these are the basics.

My MIL fell in her bathroom a few months ago and she called me sounding dazed. She doesn't live very close (35-45 minutes and it can be longer when it's rush hour, this is Southern California) so I immediately called 911. She was saying from her phone that she couldn't get up and wouldn't be able to open her front door and I really don't have the strength to break down a door either so I figured, well...let me call the police/ambulance. LIKE RIGHT NOW. Because what if she was lying there hemorrhaging?

1. Called 911. Dispatcher picked up. Informed me that I would have to call my MIL's town instead.
2. After mentally WTF????ing this, I asked her VERY FAST BECAUSE WHAT IF MIL WAS DYING, you know?...how I would do that...could she just patch me through. (I didn't say the snark I've just typed, I was extremely polite...and extremely scared...and kind of shocked...)
3. Dispatcher kind of sighed wearily and said she'd get the number...I was about to hang up and just look it up online myself when she got back to me.
4. I thanked her. Called.
5. The dispatcher THERE informed me that I would have to call their fire department.
6. CAN YOU PATCH ME THROUGH??? I pretty much begged in a DAMNED PANIC by that damned time.
7. No no. I would have to call them myself. Here's the number...
8. I hang up, dial with shaking hands.
9. I. GET. AN ANSWERING MACHINE. I wish I were kidding. I'm not. By the way, we don't live in the wilds of Borneo or along the side of a mountain in Tibet. This was in a pretty busy, populated Southern California town.
10. Called their PD back. She said there was NOTHING SHE COULD DO because it was up to the fire department.
11. At this point I start crying helplessly. MIL may be dead at this point, who knows.
12. Dispatcher sighs (do they take a sighing test before being accepted for the job?), says okay...she'll call... and that I should call her back.
13. What??? I can't just hold or something? Nope. Impossible. I should call back...
14. I'm grabbing my coat. Gathering the kids up. To run out the door to get to MIL if nobody else freakin' can because by now I've wasted what, 7 or 8 minutes of possibly precious time...nightmare! I call husband. Yell that he should get to my MIL if he can, because he's on the road, home from work and probably 10 minutes closer than I am. But...HE'S STUCK IN TRAFFIC! Now he's panicking. So he calls my BIL who gets in his car. Should be there in...like 20 minutes...oh man. Still closer than me but it's not like someone can't die from a bleeding brain within 20 minutes.
15. I call back still crying. Dispatcher now acts like I have two heads or something and says that well, of course the fire department is there, knocking down the door. Like I should somehow know that...based on having just been told I would need to keep calling the fire department.
16. MIL lived. Amazingly. Bruised horribly for a few months.

After all this I asked my husband...when you call 911...aren't they supposed to, you know...help you? And know what to do?

He said he guessed not.

I shudder to think of ever having to call for help again. I think if it were me in trouble I'd just write a loving goodbye note on my phone and leave it for my kids and husband to find, and if physically possible while caught under my car seat, I would bend over and kiss my own ass goodbye.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-14-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:

How would you know whether the parent's house or work would be closer to him ???
If they were there they wouldn't have just walked away and left him there dead, right? They'd have done something about it. Sent him (dead or alive) to the hospital?

If the dad got there and the boy was dead and nobody else was there then the cops didn't get there. They wouldn't just leave. I hope! ETA: Sorry. I see they say that they didn't actually find him.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:

The police did make it there. The kid was actually parked in the thrift store parking lot.

Quote:
Well they were there before, they just failed at the job they were supposed to do.

The 911 transcripts make it clear Plush never told the 911 operator he was in the rear of the vehicle, and he never told the operator he was suffocating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Apparently the police never got out of their cars when searching for the kid

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/oh...ice/index.html

That's because they were led to believe the kid was in the front seats of the vehicle, and because they were not sent to the exact location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If they were there they wouldn't have just walked away and left him there dead, right? They'd have done something about it. Sent him (dead or alive) to the hospital?

The kid never gave the dispatcher his exact location and didn't state the exact nature of his emergency. The police were able to narrow it down to 5 parking lots, but only searched one, and they were expecting to see someone in the driver's seat or front passenger seat with a medical emergency.

It took his parents almost 30 minutes to find the vehicle, and they knew what they were looking for.

Even if the police had walked through all 5 parking lots, the kid would have been a vegetable, if not already dead, so there's no way this story was ever going to have a happy ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events