U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:39 PM

6,524 posts, read 2,377,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I started teaching in 1975. It is interesting that, IMHO, there is A LOT more age discrimination in some/many school districts than in previous decades. My district first started pushing out the teachers over age 60, then the teachers over 58, then the teachers over 55. Then they started to target some of the teachers over 45 or 50 as being "too old to be energetic teachers" so that they could hire the cheaper teachers who were right out of college.
That's really sad. At my child's elementary school, there is only one teacher over the age of 40. Just one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:11 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,553,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A lot goes unreported and a lot of them never face any consequences. More often than not it's a man, not a woman teacher. I've known so many cases of teenaged girls acting sexy and sophisticated, hanging around after school with their male teacher. One time, back when I was in school, the teacher couldn't get rid of her. She practically stalked him for months. Then he caved and got caught.

Other times, it was going on but there was some excuse like--he was helping her with her science project or it was for photography class. It's more unusual for it to be a woman teacher and, in this case, married and with a child? There need to be very strong penalties for this sort of thing. So what if the kid (boy OR girl) flirted and talked about sex--the teacher is a professional and if they're going to be doing that sort of thing, they have no right to be around kids.
Yes, it does frequently go unreported and/or unpunished.

I personally knew three male teachers who married former students, shortly after the girls left high school. Only one of the men in question faced any real consequences when his behavior came to light, and that was because he went on to molest several more girls while coaching their sports team. He was ultimately prosecuted and jailed for his crimes against those victims; but, he was essentially given a pass on molesting the girl who became his wife, because he married her. One of the others was quietly removed from his job (and was soon hired by another school district); and the third man remained in his position until retirement, having suffered no consequence other than occasionally being snickered at for being "used" by his much younger wife.

School districts do not want to deal with these allegations, and their default position frequently is to remain willfully ignorant of the problem until "it" graduates. Although teachers and other school officials are mandatory reporters of child abuse, many hesitate to intervene when the student is sexually mature, and has not reported the abuse. When the whistle is blown on these predatory teachers, generally it is because a parent or another adult outside the school system learns about it and alerts authorities.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 PM

903 posts, read 478,052 times
LOL@western females

Old 04-14-2018, 09:25 PM

4,530 posts, read 1,947,599 times
She's married with a one year-old. Even worse!!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 PM

6,240 posts, read 1,518,571 times
Ive said this before in other threads, I believe many of these teacher/ student relationships, the minor is actually the initiator/ aggressive one (male teacher/ female student relationships especially).

I know for a fact a few girls I went to high school with, pursued this kind of thing, they all bragged about it quite often, the fact that they had so much power and influence over adult men and men in positions of authority over them...these were 13-15 yr old girls!!!

From what ive heard from many ex-GFs and female friends over the years, girls start to notice men looking at them differently, around the age of 11-12-13-14, most say it feels like they are a piece of meat, some do not like this attention, but many do and many also hone their skills in order to use it to their advantage. Parents of these girls I knew would have flipped out if they heard how their little angel really talked when she was among friends and the mentality they have when it comes to relationships with adult men...parents really have NO CLUE how caniving and manipulative they are.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:27 PM

6,167 posts, read 3,259,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
I don't know...according to the article, it was one incident, and the boy denied it "all last Spring." The jury deliberated for five hours, which seems long for this kind of case. I wonder if it really happened. I'm mindful of how young males can say such things when they're not true. Bragging. I had it said, or implied, of me before, on more than one occasion. I wonder how others found out? From him? From her? This is not like other cases I've read about.

But if she did it, what was she thinking?

Old 04-14-2018, 10:42 PM

6,167 posts, read 3,259,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Is that why they get more lenient treatment, or do they get a lesser sanction simply because they are female? I believe they are treated differently only because they are female, just as females get lesser sentences for other crimes.
Females don't get lesser sentences for other violent crimes. They are given stiffer sentences.

Society views young males having sex with adult teachers as less harmful to the males than a male teacher/female student. That may be unfair, but it probably is true that it is less harmful, if harmful at all. Many young male teens are raging with hormones and keen on bragging who they've had sex with, that they've even just had sex. Having sex with a teacher is considered by some as a big brownie point. My brother (in his 60s) views it that way, and will still refer to his teachers as "that babe with the huge boobies" or whatever.

This is our society. If parents find out a 14 year old boy had sex with someone, that's one thing. If they find out a 14 year old girl had sex with someone, that's something else entirely. Some families still expect their girls to stay virgins until marriage; not so much with boys. And then there's pregnancy. And then there's the terminology we have for promiscuous girls; there is no such terminology for boys (who are expected to sow their wild oats before marriage).

So yeah, it is different, whether the minor is male or female. Not that it's okay for an adult to sleep with a minor, whatever the gender. It's sicko for a teacher to have sex with a minor student. I can't imagine even seeing teenagers in a sexual way, esp when you're a teacher.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:24 AM

1,673 posts, read 695,028 times
Good investigative news clip:

Texas tops nation in teacher sex cases | abc13.com

Old 04-15-2018, 01:34 AM

11,830 posts, read 7,711,618 times
When I was a kid in high school, all I hear about is gossips about teachers sleeping with other teachers. Never heard of teachers having relationships with students. Time must have changed a lot. Back then there was one teacher that was the stud in the school, he was linked was multiple female teachers. Very cool guy and I can see why female teachers like him.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,958,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I was looking at my father's year book from the forties - no boy would touch any of those teachers. Most every one was old with hair in a tight bun, round glasses and a mean look. That is what we need again.
I agree.

I had those kind of teachers, and they did not put up with any nonsense.

The reality is these younger and prettier teachers are paid far less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or