Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:34 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

The only thing "new" is that now these incidents get reported and the teacher is (usually) charged. In the past it was a 2 day, if that, local story and the individual either resigned or, more often, was promoted into administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 08:43 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A lot goes unreported and a lot of them never face any consequences. More often than not it's a man, not a woman teacher. I've known so many cases of teenaged girls acting sexy and sophisticated, hanging around after school with their male teacher. One time, back when I was in school, the teacher couldn't get rid of her. She practically stalked him for months. Then he caved and got caught.

Other times, it was going on but there was some excuse like--he was helping her with her science project or it was for photography class. It's more unusual for it to be a woman teacher and, in this case, married and with a child? There need to be very strong penalties for this sort of thing. So what if the kid (boy OR girl) flirted and talked about sex--the teacher is a professional and if they're going to be doing that sort of thing, they have no right to be around kids.
Evil 16 year old seductress! I really don't care what she was doing - hanging around with him? Only possible if HE was also hanging around with HER. There's no case of hidden identity here if the student was from his school.

BTW, same thing goes for male students and female teachers. The TEACHER is ultimately at fault. No one seems to be blaming the boys for seducing THEIR teachers...hmmmm...why is that?

Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Evil 16 year old seductress! I really don't care what she was doing - hanging around with him? Only possible if HE was also hanging around with HER. There's no case of hidden identity here if the student was from his school.

BTW, same thing goes for male students and female teachers. The TEACHER is ultimately at fault. No one seems to be blaming the boys for seducing THEIR teachers...hmmmm...why is that?
If you'll notice, men do routinely say wow wish she taught at my high school when I was a teenager. All the time. Or, lucky dude.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:49 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
If some teacher was going after my teenage son, there would be hell to pay.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
I have a theory about it. I think there is a small group of women who actually go into secondary education because it places them in proximity to teenage boys, so that they can engage in predatory behavior. Some people wonder why these women don't have a relationship with someone their own age rather than doing something that will get them in trouble. I think many of them actually planned for years to become a teacher precisely because of the "opportunity" it would give them to engage in this kind of thing. They don't have relationships with men their own age because they don't want too.

These media accounts really stand out and if we add up the total number of teachers in these reported stories its still not statistically large. However, its clear to me that this type of predatory behavior goes on everywhere. I have to wonder how many of these stories are "hushed up" and never see the light of day.

Two such teachers were actually found out and prosecuted in the high school my children attended.

The other thing that allows this behavior to continue is that it isn't seen in nearly as harsh a light as a male teacher having sex with a female student. I suspect most male teachers caught in such behavior go to prison. The majority of female teachers who do this get a lesser sanction. Many serve short sentences in county jail and are banned from teaching. They get more lenient treatment because society doesn't view what they are doing nearly as negatively as a male teacher having sex with a student of the opposite sex.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
More often than not it's a man, not a woman teacher.
I don't think that is true. All I read about are women doing this as men know they will be put away and fast. A woman can get away with it much of the time, because the male student will just be happy about it and only tell his buddies. Maybe many years ago it was a male teacher, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:25 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The other thing that allows this behavior to continue is that it isn't seen in nearly as harsh a light as a male teacher having sex with a female student. I suspect most male teachers caught in such behavior go to prison. The majority of female teachers who do this get a lesser sanction. Many serve short sentences in county jail and are banned from teaching. They get more lenient treatment because society doesn't view what they are doing nearly as negatively as a male teacher having sex with a student of the opposite sex.
Is that why they get more lenient treatment, or do they get a lesser sanction simply because they are female? I believe they are treated differently only because they are female, just as females get lesser sentences for other crimes.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
They come from the teacher training programs in colleges. In these teacher training programs, the professors should be explicitly teaching these teachers in training what is right and what is wrong. So in a sense, these incidents are just another of the many miserable failures of our educational system.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:44 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
I don't really get why we need to punish this. The teachers and the kids want to have sex with each other. Oh, the kids are under the age of consent? But do you REALLY think they don't know what they're doing? You were all kids once, too. You never manipulated or acted to get what you wanted? Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. Why not let the kids and teachers that want to have sex with each other do that and the ones that don't want to do it, leave them alone?

I also do agree with markg91359's theory that the teachers specifically seek out these young men, from the very beginning of their education. Perhaps they didn't have very much action with the opposite sex when they were in high school themselves and wanted to "live out what they missed out on" in high school, hence why they seek out young men in high schools. Just a thought, maybe.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
They come from the teacher training programs in colleges. In these teacher training programs, the professors should be explicitly teaching these teachers in training what is right and what is wrong. So in a sense, these incidents are just another of the many miserable failures of our educational system.
No. Everyone knows not to do this. EVERYONE.

So making them sit through a course on don't have sex with students would waste every single person's time. They already know this.

(sorry, a little irritable because I had to endure a safe youth program last week. We get it. We already know it. Don't have sex with the kids. Don't text the kids sexual messages or pics. Don't make jokes about genitals to the kids. We all knew that coming in to this 5 hour program. We get it. Those who do this stuff already know they're not supposed to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events