U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM

18,825 posts, read 6,149,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
My brother ran the marathon. It was a miserable experience. He ended up having to go to the medical tent after finishing to get treated for hypothermia. Today he's still sore and ragged, has some skin rash because of the wet clothing rubbing his skin and has decided this is his last marathon, even though he's already classified for next year.
Sounds like your brother "hit his bottom"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 PM
gg

16,944 posts, read 17,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
NO!! I didn't refer to them by RACE. I was only being very factual about the nationalities that have been winning the Boston Marathon for many decades. Kenyans have won the majority of the races, with Ethiopians also being a factor. A non-African continent winner is really quite a rarity.

Mens Open Division
But wait, you can't bring up statistics. That is not good because it might be...well factual. Goodness, people sure have racism on their mind to the point of really making no sense. Sure is odd.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 AM

8,716 posts, read 8,919,801 times
That was a brutal, raw day period. Just getting in and out of my car I muttered to myself "how can anyone run in this?". My hat's off to those who did it and finished. If that's their thing, then I commend them on being dedicated.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:56 AM

12,655 posts, read 12,078,941 times
How in the world does anyone link this to racism? Even professional sports lIke football acknowledge the weather factor.

I am from Miami, I was in DC for a week this winter and I could hardly go for a run because it bothered me so much. It has nothing to do with my race, but the fact I live in generally year round warm weather.

I do not know if the weather was a factor though for this marathon, I do not know how the top runners train.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,469,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is the most racist thing I have heard in 30 years. And look where I live. Sheesh.
Here come the SJWs.

Nothing about what he said was racist. Do you know what racism even is?!?! Look up the definition before you spew such nonsense. Can it, sweetheart.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Here come the SJWs.

Nothing about what he said was racist. Do you know what racism even is?!?! Look up the definition before you spew such nonsense. Can it, sweetheart.
I think it wasn't what was said but the distain in which it appeared to be stated.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:08 AM

218 posts, read 69,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is the most racist thing I have heard in 30 years. And look where I live. Sheesh.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 AM

2,215 posts, read 755,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
She lives and trains in Michigan.
As far as some of the others, many world class runners live, and train in Boulder, Colorado for the high altitude training that it affords. That way they get the cold too. It's very inspirational for the rest of us since you are forever seeing runners everywhere you look. Then you think to yourself dang, I need to start running again, lol. At least it worked for me when I lived there in the 80's .

I ran the Bolder Boulder 10k back in 83, 85, and 88. It was so much fun, a real event with entertainment along the way, and beer at the end. The Boston is the same way, a tradition. You can't just enter it, you must qualify in another race by time. It's an honor to finish . There is no way around it, running makes you feel better.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:37 AM

2,215 posts, read 755,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The weather conditions weren't ideal for ANYONE. But the usual winners who grow up in places like Kenya were particularly affected by extremely cold and wet conditions.

Anyway, it was particularly nice to see so many American women and men in the top ten spots and a Canadian woman won eighth place. I was happy to see that a Japanese national won the mens race.

IMO it's not racist to notice that African nationals dominate the sport of marathon races. It's not racist to be happy when Americans are the top finishers, after all, the event took place in America.

And there's nothing wrong with being a proud American.
I completely agree. The Kenyan, and Ethiopian runners are truly amazing. But this is a big international competition, and it's wonderful to see other deserving athletes at the forefront again. They train hard too. It's perfectly fine to root for the home team.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 AM

48,898 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Do you actually have proof of your claim? Like a story you can link to or something? That says that people from the African continent were affected by the cold so they didnít win.
Or is this more of a hypothesis that youíve come up with?
First point: It was the slowest winning time since 1968, about 6 minutes slower than what you usually have to run in order to with the race which is a massive difference.

Conclusion: EVERYONE was impacted by the weather conditions. But all equally?

Second Point: This race is almost always won by African runners, specifically Kenya (and from a certain higher altitude part of the country) as well as Nigeria, Uganda etc.

Last years winner (from Kenya) ran 9 minutes slower this year.

Africans in the top 15 finishing men:

2018 = 2
2017 = 6
2016 = 11
2015 = 7 (the top 6 finishers were African)
2014 = 6

B.A.A. Marathon 2014: Top Finishers

I'm going to stop there, but you can use the link to look at 2013 and earlier but when you go from and average of HALF the top 15 being African to just 2, it's a strong indicator that they were more affected by conditions than the other runners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or