U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 AM

2,215 posts, read 754,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu
<>The unusually cold conditions was why the usual African winners didn't win today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is the most racist thing I have heard in 30 years. And look where I live. Sheesh.
What? You are kidding right? Don't be uninformed, and silly! The cold, wet weather was the only thing that was different in this race. All other factors were the same. Otherwise the Africans would have probably won this Boston too like they usually clean up. They really are hard to beat. But this type of weather may be their Achilles heel. Everyone has one of them. That doesn't make the observation racist, just knowledgeable, and observant .

Everything that people say does not come from a racist standpoint. Believe me when I say that there are probably many race analysts that are discussing, and writing about this very topic, why didn't the Kenyans, and Ethiopians do well this time?

This racist bs is getting very old. People can't even discuss why that group lost without somebody complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 AM

3,159 posts, read 3,343,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu
<>The unusually cold conditions was why the usual African winners didn't win today.

What? You are kidding right? Don't be uninformed, and silly! The cold, wet weather was the only thing that was different in this race. All other factors were the same. Otherwise the Africans would have probably won this Boston too like they usually clean up. They really are hard to beat. But this type of weather may be their Achilles heel. Everyone has one of them. That doesn't make the observation racist, just knowledgeable, and observant .

Everything that people say does not come from a racist standpoint. Believe me when I say that there are probably many race analysts that are discussing, and writing about this very topic, why didn't the Kenyans, and Ethiopians do well this time?

This racist bs is getting very old. People can't even discuss why that group lost without somebody complaining.
I think part of the misunderstanding arises from the fact that people don't understand the difference between race and nationality, or assume that others don't. That led to the overreactions and accusations of racism even though the OP was just referring to nationality.

Honestly, these misunderstandings wouldn't exist if we stopped hyphenating people. African-American is an oxymoron. You're either African or you are American; you can't be both. The same goes for European-American.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Ok, you asked for it, and you got it. You only have to put in your email address to read the article. This is for all you that are so anxious to jump on the racist bandwagon. That is sooo embarrassing!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...e3N/story.html

---------------------------------------------------

Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM

7,282 posts, read 15,283,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I'm going to stop there, but you can use the link to look at 2013 and earlier but when you go from and average of HALF the top 15 being African to just 2, it's a strong indicator that they were more affected by conditions than the other runners.
On the other hand, you aren't necessarily comparing like to like in different years because of differences in field composition. There was talk going in about how the women's elite field skewed more 'American' and how the US women had a better shot at a win than usual because so many internationals were targeting London or Rotterdam as their 2018 spring marathon instead. Course the buzz was on other athletes like Jordan Hasay (late DNS because of injury) Molly Huddle, and Shalane Flannigan to break the drought rather than Desi, but that's why you run the race.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM

From the above link, for those of you that don't want to read the whole thing.....

"It was no coincidence that the elite runners who DNFed (Did Not Finish) were the East Africans who don’t train in cold, wet, and windy conditions and almost never compete in them."

“The Kenyans and Ethiopians train at high altitude where it’s often dry and perfect temperatures,” said Mary Kate Shea, the elite athlete recruiter for sponsor John Hancock. “Not many get the opportunity to race in adversity.”

Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM

895 posts, read 426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
NO!! I didn't refer to them by RACE. I was only being very factual about the nationalities that have been winning the Boston Marathon for many decades. Kenyans have won the majority of the races, with Ethiopians also being a factor. A non-African continent winner is really quite a rarity.

Mens Open Division
You're absolutely correct. Marathon veteran here. Those countries rule the marathon event.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 PM

The 2018 Boston from Sports Illustrated's point of view. The weather WAS a factor for the upset. The winners are true "grinders". Well done in miserable conditions!

https://www.si.com/edge/2018/04/16/b...-sarah-sellers

--------------------------------------------------

Old 04-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So is it their ETHNICITY or the weather they are ACCLIMATED to? If you took the African runners and they trained for years in crappy cold weather, what would the outcome be? Not quite so clear cut, is it?
Some of you people are freakingly overly sensitive.

These particular athletes didn't train for these miserable conditions this time did they? Most of them dropped out of the race, and did not finish (dnf). Why? The horrible weather that's why. Others didn't wimp out, they soldiered on, came from the bottom, and won. Good job. I am very proud of them!

Elite runners are always being described by their country of origin/nationality. Get used to it. Their ethnic names are also a give away. Don't be utterly ridiculous, please. You make no sense. Learn about the sport of racing first before making baseless comments.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Do you actually have proof of your claim? Like a story you can link to or something? That says that people from the African continent were affected by the cold so they didnít win.
Or is this more of a hypothesis that youíve come up with?
I provided a couple links to stories.
They not only didn't win, most of them dropped out, did not finish because of the conditions. The winners persevered.

The only people that are whining about this are most likely non runners who don't know what they are talking about. Please, you are speaking from ignorance, and embarrassing yourselves.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:53 PM

6,117 posts, read 3,057,637 times
This race was perfect for Boston - the blue collar grind it out effort to win. This was not a race for the elite, but it was for the lunch pail runners. Well, of course the winners are elite, but I think you get my gist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or