U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM

2,224 posts, read 762,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
It is not racist to refer to the general climatic nature of Africa. It is racist to make statements or post opinions based on the race or continent of origin of a person without any knowledge of them as individuals. The OP posits that someone from Africa cannot tolerate a COLD, DAMP,RAINY day in Boston because their ancestors were recently in Africa. They may, for all any of us here know, be residents of London.
It appears, anyway, anthropologically, we are all from Africa.
Ok, then why did 13 out of 16 E. Africans that started the race drop out, and not finish? That is highly unusual for them.

In 2017 Kenyan runner "Edna Kiplagat won the women's race in 2:21:52". In 2018 this same lady came in 9th in 2:47:14. That is a huge difference for an elite, world class runner.

The weather was the ONLY factor that mattered that was different.

Just the facts, nothing but the facts .

P.S. I posted links to these facts in earlier posts. Please have a look. Especially the Boston Globe article on how the crappy weather messed with everybody. You know, it's not the end of the world if those people have a weakness, and drop out because of it. Nobody is invincible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Eat like a Kenyan, Run like a Kenyan:

Eat Like a Kenyan, Run Like a Kenyan | Competitor.com

-----------------------------------------------------

Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 PM

27,421 posts, read 15,104,592 times
A lot of the very top athletes of any race chose not to participate in that weather. A friend of mine ran in it (his first time) and that's why we are seeing folks we never heard of winning the race.

One of my best friends is a trainer and she dropped out of a local marathon when the weather was wet and ugly. She just didn't think it was worth it.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 PM

19,717 posts, read 13,318,165 times
The woman who finished second won 75K! She is not a professional marathoner, she was 30 minutes slower than most second place finishers but most of the top runners quit the race, so this woman, a nurse from Arizona and not even a serious marathon runner, is now 75 grand richer.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:12 AM

I didn't find the movie on Ethiopian runners that I mentioned. But here are a couple videos on the trainer, and where he trains that was featured in that movie I saw. Very interesting if anyone is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfh6CqUkBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2X0JAR6gnY

------------------------------------

Old 04-20-2018, 07:05 PM

423 posts, read 204,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is the most racist thing I have heard in 30 years. And look where I live. Sheesh.
Sorry CrashJ007, but your comment is an example of why we, as a nation, have issues... If you're looking for racism, you will find it... Real or imaginary and this time, it was simply imaginary, based on an emotional response and not on clear facts.

Regardless, I wish you well.

BTW, I'm a descendant of African slaves

Old 04-23-2018, 02:35 PM

7,299 posts, read 15,326,162 times
I'm playing around with the results of the elite field in the London Marathon, which was described as being a little on the warm side for that long of a run. Drop out rate among the elite field for that one was just shy of 25%

Old 05-07-2018, 12:54 AM

7,299 posts, read 15,326,162 times
Follow up on an elite runner who decided to bail in Boston because it wasn't going to be his day-

Galen Rupp Runs 2:06:07 to Smash PB and Win Prague Marathon - LetsRun.com

Better for his career to win in Vienna in a very excellent time than to struggle to finish in the top ten at Boston.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:53 AM

15,299 posts, read 15,273,316 times
Running is not my cup of tea, but have fun with that.

Most people are just not good candidates to be runners, so it is miserably hard on their bodies when they take it up.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM

2,835 posts, read 1,512,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Running is not my cup of tea, but have fun with that.

Most people are just not good candidates to be runners, so it is miserably hard on their bodies when they take it up.
Most people are fine to run, provided they're not grossly overweight. That would put quite a strain on the body. Otherwise, unless you overdue it, easier on the bod than sports requiring running such as basketball, tennis and soccer.

The "injuries" referred to in the subject title were cold temperature related problems-hypothermia.

Given those conditions are normal pretty much any month of the year for here, someone from SE should have won that race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or