U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 AM

24,738 posts, read 59,687,302 times

Advertisements

When my son was 14 he slept over a friends house. Since sleep overs usually involve not sleeping somewhere around 2 a.m. they decide to take friend's moms car and go drive around. They drove by the only policeman in our township that evening. He through they looked a little young and might be technically in violation of the curfew, but he was going to leave them alone when he noticed something odd. They were not wearing coats. It was -20f outside. He figured something was wrong so he pulled them over and busted them. They showed up at 3 a.m. (and -20 degrees) knocking on our door to tell me our son had "stolen" a car and gone joyriding. We needed to pick him up at the police station.

Standing in -20 in a bathrobe at 3 a.m. it is lucky for my son they did not bring him home. My wife decided it was best if she went and got him. We let him sit there for an hour an a half though, they were holding him in a jail cell, so we figured it might be good learning for him to sit there a while. Plus we had to get dressed, call the other kids mom (the police had just awakened her when we called - Surprise!). She was surprised, pissed, apologetic and angry all at once. She was like a milkshake of emotion.

Anyway - that is one way kids can end up driving around in a stolen car at 3 a.m. without the parents knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM

2,812 posts, read 2,813,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
No tears for these kids. Sorry for the person whose vehicle they stole and destroyed.
I agree, consequence of bad choice....

Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM

4,111 posts, read 3,074,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Usually I would say yes. But the fact that these kids were (certainly not the first time) awake at that time, able to find so many other kids also coincidentally awake (or more likely often awake at this time) and have the nerve to steal a car, shows that those parents are more than careless and probably will get over it. They don't sound like A-student, single child, good home kids. More like hood/lots of siblings/gangs/welfare/druggie kids. I wonder why they didn't take a parents car, which would make more sense.

I had a lot of dumb thoughts in my head as a kid but STEALING something major like a car was way above my level of criminal intent.
So now people with more than one child are poor parents? I learn something new every day on these forums!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM

8,874 posts, read 7,360,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
My condolences to all the families involved.

I'm remembering an event from about 40 years ago when the local police knocked on my door at about 2 a.m., and let us know my (11? 12? year old) son was at the police station, having crashed our car into another car, causing semi-serious damage to both cars. He had apparently decided a late night joy ride would be a lot of fun.

But yet he was always an A+ student, in the Honor Society in High School (and all-state in 2 sports), and went on the graduate from one of the military academies.

Moral of the story - quit throwing stones at the parents of these young folks. You can't know all the facts.

Hoot
Far too many male high school athletes regularly get away with bad behavior at home and school because the school and parents don’t want to loose their athlete. The better the athlete, the more they’re allowed to get away with either at home or school. Things tend to get swept under the rug to avoid having their star athlete forced off the team.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 AM

4,018 posts, read 1,788,205 times
Quote:
Usually I would say yes. But the fact that these kids were (certainly not the first time) awake at that time, able to find so many other kids also coincidentally awake (or more likely often awake at this time) and have the nerve to steal a car, shows that those parents are more than careless and probably will get over it. They don't sound like A-student, single child, good home kids. More like hood/lots of siblings/gangs/welfare/druggie kids. I wonder why they didn't take a parents car, which would make more sense.

I had a lot of dumb thoughts in my head as a kid but STEALING something major like a car was way above my level of criminal intent.
I shouldn't partake in speculative shaming but now that I'm annoyed, I'll point out that statistically speaking; there is an above average chance that over half of the kids came from single-PARENT homes.

And that single parents can be just as devastated over the loss of a child as cohabiting parents can.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM

814 posts, read 253,472 times
Quote:
Stealing anything, even a 50 cent pack of gum, was above my level of criminal intent; becuase I knew there would be consequences if I got caught. I doubt these kids ever faced very much, if any, punishment for their wrongdoings.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:29 AM

4,554 posts, read 2,785,688 times
I was out at 15 "Night Riding" my motorcycle. Trained in the backyard (We did have some property), no license. NO accidents though. Always home by 5 am....

Now? I wouldn't touch a motorcycle as car drivers are too crazy.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,789,696 times
I'm sorry two girls died. Wish it had been the driver.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 AM

814 posts, read 253,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I'm sorry two girls died. Wish it had been the driver.
That never seems to happen, much in the same way a drunk always seems to survive when they slam into someone at high speed.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,509,210 times
This thread is so sickening. I'm just...stunned. Even for CD. blaming the parents, no empathy for the children or families, wild speculation about the kids, someone is sad about a car but not about dead kids?

What is wrong with some people? Seriously. I really want to know. What on earth happened to some people that would cause them to react like that?

Its just too much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or